Is betfair dead?

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
napshnap

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:21 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:10 pm
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:39 pm

Impossibity judging the 'probability' of a horse 'runnin-out'. I'd be surprised if the jockey would know that :lol:
You're doing it again. "judging the probability" of something happening has nothing to do with "knowing". Nor is it a question of judging the probability of the horse running out, it's the probability of winning, or not.

The chances of a horse running out, failing the weigh-in/dope test, etc. with two to jump are insignificant to its chances of jumping the last two obstacles and not getting caught. So you're just looking at it capsizing or getting caught. If it's well clear you may think it's got a 1.04 chance and it's trading at 1.02, so it would be a bad bet.
Derek I don't need a lecture from you on 'probability' which has got nothing to do with my original question.
So can you refer your replies to the original question or FFS 'SHUT UP'
Maybe you should treat forum members more politely? I recommend you edit your post.
ShaunWhite

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:37 pm
Did BF 'hoover-up' when 'West Orchard' ran-out :?:
I see no evidence it was Betfair because anyone could have done it. If it was something with no possible explanation then I'd be more sceptical.

What you might want to consider is the placing bets is far slower than cancelling them. When you saw money being "hoovered up" that would most likely be offers being withdrawn rather than taken. You'll put speculative offers into the market wanting to back a horse at 5/1 and as soon as it flicks its tail you cancel them, someone else seeing that and wanting lay it at 5/1 even acting just as quickly will be over a second too late.

Does that help?
Cardano

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:37 pm
Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:37 pm
Did BF 'hoover-up' when 'West Orchard' ran-out :?:
I see no evidence it was Betfair because anyone could have done it. If it was something with no possible explanation then I'd be more sceptical.

What you might want to consider is the placing bets is far slower than cancelling them. When you saw money being "hoovered up" that would most likely be offers being withdrawn rather than taken. You'll put speculative offers into the market wanting to back a horse at 5/1 and as soon as it flicks its tail you cancel them, someone else seeing that and wanting lay it at 5/1 even acting just as quickly will be over a second too late.

Does that help?
Ok I'll try and be clearer. I place a £100 'back' bet on West Orchard just before it runs out does the BF bot grab the majority of my £100
ShaunWhite

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:10 pm
Ok I'll try and be clearer. I place a £100 'back' bet on West Orchard just before it runs out does the BF bot grab the majority of my £100
Somebody with a view that's opposite to yours grabbed it. If you placed a bet 'just before' it ran-out, with the Inplay delay on placement it might have already runout when you had your back bet?
Cardano

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:21 pm
Cardano wrote:
Somebody with a view that's opposite to yours grabbed it. If you placed a bet 'just before' it ran-out, with the Inplay delay on placement it might have already runout when you had your back bet?
What if there wasn't a somebody / the somebody was BF :?:
Derek27

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:25 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Cardano wrote:
Then it wouldn't have been a somebody, the somebody would have been Betfair. :)
Cardano

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:37 pm
Cardano wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:

So are you admitting in that case BF do have a bot :?:
Derek27

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:42 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Cardano wrote:

IF it wasn't somebody, IF the somebody was Betfair, and only IF those conditions are true, then it wouldn't have been somebody, it would have been Betfair.

The key question is why would you think it was Betfair? Wouldn't you lay the horse if you were live at the course and saw it run out?

Backing horses at short prices (often called sniping) is a high-risk strategy where you win very little and lose a lot when it goes wrong, so it shouldn't be too surprising if you do it enough to get stung a few times. It doesn't have to be Betfair taking the money. As Shaun said, it could have been anyone.
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:50 pm
The key question is why would you think it was Betfair?
Surely the key question is would you rather the markets were empty?

Such a pointless discussion

OP way off the mark there
Last edited by Kai on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cardano

Derek27 wrote:
Cardano wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

IF it wasn't somebody, IF the somebody was Betfair, and only IF those conditions are true, then it wouldn't have been somebody, it would have been Betfair.

The key question is why would you think it was Betfair? Wouldn't you lay the horse if you were live at the course and saw it run out?

Backing horses at short prices (often called sniping) is a high-risk strategy where you win very little and lose a lot when it goes wrong, so it shouldn't be too surprising if you do it enough to get stung a few times. It doesn't have to be Betfair taking the money. As Shaun said, it could have been anyone.
So Derek what is your answer to the question - YES/NO/NOT SURE :?:
Derek27

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:08 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Cardano wrote:

So Derek what is your answer to the question - YES/NO :?:
How the fuck would I know? You'd have to be psychic to know who's on the other end of your bets.

Both, Shaun and I have said the same thing. There's absolutely no reason to think it was Betfair. It could have been a manual trader or it could have been a bot. There are thousands of traders in these markets and if Betfair have a bot, the chances of Betfair getting the money would be slim.

If you're talking about Betfair having a bot that's not subject to the delay, I suppose it's technically possible but it would be cheating, against their own rules, probably illegal and I think it's extremely unlikely they would take such risks just to make a few grand. They get 20-60% of what successful traders make anyway so why bother? They could let somebody else take it and nick their percentage.
Cardano

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:19 pm
Cardano wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

How the fuck would I know? You'd have to be psychic to know who's on the other end of your bets.

Both, Shaun and I have said the same thing. There's absolutely no reason to think it was Betfair. It could have been a manual trader or it could have been a bot. There are thousands of traders in these markets and if Betfair have a bot, the chances of Betfair getting the money would be slim.

If you're talking about Betfair having a bot that's not subject to the delay, I suppose it's technically possible but it would be cheating, against their own rules, probably illegal and I think it's extremely unlikely they would take such risks just to make a few grand. They get 20-60% of what successful traders make anyway so why bother? They could let somebody else take it and nick their percentage.
Well that looks like a NOT SURE answer from Derek
Cardano

napshnap wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:35 pm
Cardano wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:10 pm

You're doing it again. "judging the probability" of something happening has nothing to do with "knowing". Nor is it a question of judging the probability of the horse running out, it's the probability of winning, or not.

The chances of a horse running out, failing the weigh-in/dope test, etc. with two to jump are insignificant to its chances of jumping the last two obstacles and not getting caught. So you're just looking at it capsizing or getting caught. If it's well clear you may think it's got a 1.04 chance and it's trading at 1.02, so it would be a bad bet.
Derek I don't need a lecture from you on 'probability' which has got nothing to do with my original question.
Maybe you should treat forum members more politely? I recommend you edit your post.
Just for the record if I have caused any personal offence to any Forum members in this post then please accept my apologies as it was not intended - posts can go off in tangents sometimes :)
Derek27

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:32 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:19 pm
Cardano wrote:

Well that looks like a NOT SURE answer from Derek
Absolutely nailed it. Nobody can be certain but it is extremely unlikely it was Betfair, for the reasons given.
Last edited by Derek27 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

Cardano wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:35 pm
napshnap wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:35 pm
Cardano wrote:

Just for the record if I have caused any personal offence to any Forum members in this post then please accept my apologies as it was not intended - posts can go off in tangents sometimes :)
No worries Cardano.

Return to “Betfair exchange”