Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Atho55

Need to fit the drone with one of these...

Flint Gun.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:04 pm
I don't understand this stuff really. Can't shoot it down but you can dump fuel on it and due to incompetence of a pilot in charge of a killing machine collide with it so the drone becomes unviable and has to be downed. Did they not shoot it down because it would be seen as an act of aggression? Or is a fighter jet not able to target a drone accurately. (But is crashing into the drone really a competent tactic?)
It's quite worrying. When the Russians run out of munitions they'll be dumping crap on the Ukrainians.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
I don't understand this stuff really. Can't shoot it down but you can dump fuel on it and due to incompetence of a pilot in charge of a killing machine collide with it so the drone becomes unviable and has to be downed. Did they not shoot it down because it would be seen as an act of aggression? Or is a fighter jet not able to target a drone accurately. (But is crashing into the drone really a competent tactic?)
A fighter jet can take out anything. If the Russian pilot had shot it out of the Skye then game changer, escalation and you know what next. It’s a game of chess where all the pieces know they confined moves. Deviate and the game is void. The person on the ground would have told his Boss we engaged with two Russian jets and told not to fire the drones missiles. Likewise the Russian pilot was told not to shoot down the drone but render it useless.

These kind of incidents happen every day, have for years. Difference now is it only takes one Russian or USA pilot to cause WW3 by accident.

In reality the Russian pilot probably wanted to blow it out of the Skye and likewise the USA person operating the drone wanted to blow the Russian jets out of the Skye.

But it’s not about boys/girls with toys of destruction, there is a much bigger picture, thankfully.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:04 pm
greenmark wrote:
A fighter jet can take out anything. If the Russian pilot had shot it out of the Skye then game changer, escalation and you know what next. It’s a game of chess where all the pieces know they confined moves. Deviate and the game is void. The person on the ground would have told his Boss we engaged with two Russian jets and told not to fire the drones missiles. Likewise the Russian pilot was told not to shoot down the drone but render it useless.

These kind of incidents happen every day, have for years. Difference now is it only takes one Russian or USA pilot to cause WW3 by accident.

In reality the Russian pilot probably wanted to blow it out of the Skye and likewise the USA person operating the drone wanted to blow the Russian jets out of the Skye.

But it’s not about boys/girls with toys of destruction, there is a much bigger picture, thankfully.
That drone is capable of carrying missiles and AGMs but I'd be surprised if it was armed, it was just carrying out surveillance. The BBC have footage of the actual incident, sorry greenmark. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64975766
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:13 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

That drone is capable of carrying missiles and AGMs but I'd be surprised if it was armed, it was just carrying out surveillance. The BBC have footage of the actual incident, sorry greenmark. ;)

The drone was returning details of Russian movements on the ground in Ukraine. It’s camera has a 700 mile 360 degree field of view. That’s why it weighs so much in weight. The camera costs $800,000. Which is the bulk of the drone total cost. At any one time the USA has 12 flying over or near to Ukraine plus upto the minute satellite surveillance. It’s worth noting that repositioning satellites costs millions of $$$.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:13 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

I've seen that footage already hence my comment that the jet pilot took a massive risk and nearly downed himself and millions of rubles of kit and training.
The intelligence those drones collect must be seriously useful. Hope they had enough time to wipe the software in case Russia recovers it first.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:25 pm

The drone was returning details of Russian movements on the ground in Ukraine. It’s camera has a 700 mile 360 degree field of view. That’s why it weighs so much in weight. The camera costs $800,000. Which is the bulk of the drone total cost. At any one time the USA has 12 flying over or near to Ukraine plus upto the minute satellite surveillance. It’s worth noting that repositioning satellites costs millions of $$$.
Where do you get that information from? To see 700 miles you need to be at an altitude of over 300,000 feet. :)
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:33 pm
I've seen that footage already hence my comment that the jet pilot took a massive risk and nearly downed himself and millions of rubles of kit and training.
The intelligence those drones collect must be seriously useful. Hope they had enough time to wipe the software in case Russia recovers it first.
So much for the Russian claim that it brought itself down with a sharp manoeuvre or the fish that jumped out of the water. :lol:

Unless I've been unlucky, we've all known the pathological liar that not only persistently lies, but when you catch them out and you think the game's up they just carry on lying as though the past never happened and still expect you to believe them. :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:44 pm
greenmark wrote:
So much for the Russian claim that it brought itself down with a sharp manoeuvre or the fish that jumped out of the water. :lol:

Unless I've been unlucky, we've all known the pathological liar that not only persistently lies, but when you catch them out and you think the game's up they just carry on lying as though the past never happened and still expect you to believe them. :lol:
Well the Ukrainian minister saying these encounters are regular and inevitable demonstrated the different spin NATO and Russia put on these things.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:39 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Where do you get that information from? To see 700 miles you need to be at an altitude of over 300,000 feet. :)
No you don’t Derek, think about it.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

An approximation to the number of miles you can see is your altitude in feet, times 1.5 and then square rooted. The world is round after all. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:44 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 pm
Derek27 wrote:

An approximation to the number of miles you can see is your altitude in feet, times 1.5 and then square rooted. The world is round after all. :)
Correct. But those drones get data from satellites too which enables them to project forward using map data, bounce it back and turn that data into 2D and 3D images.

Russia is doing its best to get that Drone out the sea. Why, they have their own. Reason is they don’t understand how a relatively low flying drone can see so far ahead from within international airspace.

Russia is 2 years ahead on hypersonic missile technology but the USA has always been 5 years ahead in surveillance technology.

Think back to Ukraine March 2022, everyone in that convey had no orders on the target, none of the drivers did, only 4 people knew, including Putin. Secrecy was key. How did Ukraine know about the plan, where they were and numbers. If that convey had made it then Ukraine crushed in a few weeks. But more importantly what happened to all that personnel and equipment ?
Derek27

The drone's under 5000 feet of water. :D
napshnap

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:44 pm
greenmark wrote:

That should be called "fish and chips", cause, you know... it stuffed with chips)!

But seriously, it the same pissed off fish that got disturbed by six amatures (5 men, 1 woman medic, and Aquaman) of unknown nationality who rented a small yacht.
Derek27

The International Cricket Council has issued an arrest warrant for Vladimir Putin. :D

Return to “Chill Out Area”