US Presidential Election 2024

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:32 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:48 pm
Archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:36 pm
Trump would currently be wearing an orange jump suit sitting in a cage if he wasn't a rich ex president
Honestly the advent of Trump has scared me more than any time in my life. I don't understand why he is so popular. He is no statesman. He snuggled up to Putin. Was this a cunning ruse to influence a dictator.Or did he feel he was in the company of equals. Wallowing in undeserved wealth?
You have to go to the real USA heartlands to understand why, not New York, San Francisco or California where most tourists go. The majority of Trump supports only care about the USA, most don't even have a passport and are not interested in outsiders views about their country, state or town.

Very few of them watch international news, not well educated, hate federal government and will have more than one firearm. Problem is there is still rather allot of them population wise. Don't forget around 60 million voted for Trump last time. Ofcourse not all of those would follow him into a burning building but lets say 10% did, 6 million would be a big problem even in the USA, imagine that many following a mad individual here, Police and Army would be outnumbered 60 to 1.

I agree, scary stuff.

Be interesting to see how the secret service handle him being arrested as he is still protected by them. Authorities try to put handcuffs on him, there is a scuffle, what do the sercret service do in such a situation ? :roll:
I think the response to the assault on the Capitol was very gentle by US standards. I doubt any future disruption will be dealt with so delicately.
You can't have yobs roaming through the corridors of power putting democratically elected people in fear of their lives. Trump is a looney that deserves to be locked up if the law says he has committed a crime.
Derek27

This is getting better and better. As well as handcuffs, he could have a mugshot, fingerprints taken and possibly a perp walk. :D

Once convicted of his first crime it should open the floodgates for the rest of the charges. He could spend the rest of his life travelling from prison to court and back like Weinstein. :D

I don't know what happens with his security detail but once you've fallen foul of criminal law a former president should lose any right to it. Let him be buggered. :D :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:23 pm
This is getting better and better. As well as handcuffs, he could have a mugshot, fingerprints taken and possibly a perp walk. :D

Once convicted of his first crime it should open the floodgates for the rest of the charges. He could spend the rest of his life travelling from prison to court and back like Weinstein. :D

I don't know what happens with his security detail but once you've fallen foul of criminal law a former president should lose any right to it. Let him be buggered. :D :lol:
Plea bargain. Won’t run for president, keep his supporters in line. Pays restitution, Walks free.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:10 am
Derek27 wrote:

Plea bargain. Won’t run for president, keep his supporters in line. Pays restitution, Walks free.
Running for presidency has nothing to do with a criminal case so I'd be surprised if the law allows it to be included in a plea bargain.

He's still 4.8/5.0 to win the election. I wonder what effect arrest will have on his price. Whatever happens, with all the lunatics backing him even after he lost the last election he's always gonna be in the market. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:22 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:10 am
Derek27 wrote:

Running for presidency has nothing to do with a criminal case so I'd be surprised if the law allows it to be included in a plea bargain.

He's still 4.8/5.0 to win the election. I wonder what effect arrest will have on his price. Whatever happens, with all the lunatics backing him even after he lost the last election he's always gonna be in the market. :)
A good lawyer plus the fact he was a former president will get him off Jail time. It maybe a criminal case but what they really trying to do is bar him from ever running or becoming president again. Incarcerating a former president in a superman prison would be unheard of and could well rip the country apart if his supporters bring guns and explosives to the party. The New York Police department is already drawing up plans for trouble on Tuesday. One thing they should do is take away is passport or put a tag on him. Otherwise it would be very easy for him to depart for his mate in Russia. You don’t want an ex president sharing secrets with Putin during a vodka sex party.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:33 am
but what they really trying to do is
Who's they? It doesn't matter what the Democrats or prosecutor wants, a judge will have to follow the law and they won't easily give in to pressure.

If he does have to do a perp walk, it was his old mate and madman Rudy Giuliani who made it popular when he was NY mayor. :D
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:47 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:33 am
but what they really trying to do is
Who's they? It doesn't matter what the Democrats or prosecutor wants, a judge will have to follow the law and they won't easily give in to pressure.

If he does have to do a perp walk, it was his old mate and madman Rudy Giuliani who made it popular when he was NY mayor. :D
It’s s stitch up by Hillary, Derek. 🤣
Derek27

Betfair has warned they're gonna close my account on Tuesday. Everybody take to the streets. :lol:
Archery1969

Trump, on his social media platform calls for mass protests. My god. Could all go Pete tong. 🤣
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:09 am
Trump, on his social media platform calls for mass protests. My god. Could all go Pete tong. 🤣
I must be pissed. I just googled pete tong but it should have been obvious what you mean. :lol:

During the Capitol Hill riots Biden begged Trump to call off the mob, but the boot's on the other hand, or the glove's on the other foot now. Biden's in control of the National Guard.
Derek27

Mike Pence, the man the mob wanted hung, says we have far more pressing crime than indicting the former president for bringing the country to the brink of civil war. :shock: :shock:
Derek27

WTF's happened about Trump's arrest? It was supposed to be on Tuesday!
megarain

Good contest - the grand jury was given a day off.

Think I make him slights odds on to be arrested before month end.

He obviously wont do handcuffs etc, but maybe get mug shots/fingerprinted ?

A Bf market would be fantastic. (unlikely they would stick it up)
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:14 pm
WTF's happened about Trump's arrest? It was supposed to be on Tuesday!
You believed Don?

Grinell/Selzer released some favourability ratings yday :

Biden 44/52
Trump 38/58
DeSantis 38/41

Biden v DeSantis could come down to the wire, whereas Biden with his incumbency could even take Texas this time around against Trump.
Naffman

megarain wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:18 pm
Good contest - the grand jury was given a day off.

Think I make him slights odds on to be arrested before month end.

He obviously wont do handcuffs etc, but maybe get mug shots/fingerprinted ?

A Bf market would be fantastic. (unlikely they would stick it up)
Think I saw Polymarket have a ‘will Trump smile in his mugshot?’

Return to “Political betting & arguing”