UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Emmson

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:34 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:14 pm
President of Turkey resorting to handing out bread to voters. Perhaps the Tories will try that. They've created enough food banks. :)
Food banks are a cultural thing used by lazy bastards who are unwilling to better themselves.

They didn’t exist when I was growing up but back then there were far less snowflakes and most people knew what they had between their legs and if they needed more money got off their backsides and went and bettered themselves.

Personally, I refuse to pay for those tossers who can’t be bothered to help themselves.
What a contemptible post this, full of malice and sweeping generalizations -1
Worst post I've seen in a while, or at least since James left.
Derek27

sionascaig wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:12 am
its like the conservatives are on a mission to destroy themselves with the "christian democratic", "national" & "it's all Rishi's fault" initiatives.

The 1st one being particularly worrying based on the American loony right American model(s) and the last is just stupidity.

Hopefully an election will weed out the dross but the electorate desperately needs better alternatives if they don't want to vote labour.
Rees-Mogg effectively said Sunak's the wrong man for the job, but better him than changing leader yet again.

Let's face it, nothing wrong with changing your leader twice in a year, but three times would be absurd. :)
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:09 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:01 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Food banks are a cultural thing used by lazy bastards who are unwilling to better themselves.

They didn’t exist when I was growing up but back then there were far less snowflakes and most people knew what they had between their legs and if they needed more money got off their backsides and went and bettered themselves.

Personally, I refuse to pay for those tossers who can’t be bothered to help themselves.
You must be on a different planet to the rest of us. Nurses aren't in a position to better themselves. They're working all day for not enough money to pay their rent.
They should get a different job then.
You'd make a great careers advisor. When a nurse graduates from uni fully trained, tell them to rip it up and do a less skilled and lower-paid job!
Emmson

Archery's sentiments are nothing new, The Road To Wigan Pier, Down and Out in Paris And London - George Orwell I found them illuminating.
Crazyskier

Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
President of Turkey resorting to handing out bread to voters. Perhaps the Tories will try that. They've created enough food banks. :)

Spot on. The worst of it is when the people queueing outside these food banks are smoking cigarettes that cost almost £1 each, then go home and drink alcohol and watch huge screen daytime TV, yet claim they can't afford to feed their children! We've created a 'breed for benefits' culture in Blighty where the hard-working tax payers are expected to fund the lazy and slovenly. Hard work and discipline seem to be a thing of the past for so many benefit-reliant households now, and they serve as dreadful role models to the numerous ill-disciplined offspring they seem to produce.

CS
Emmson

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:27 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Spot on. The worst of it is when the people queueing outside these food banks are smoking cigarettes that cost almost £1 each, then go home and drink alcohol and watch huge screen daytime TV, yet claim they can't afford to feed their children! We've created a 'breed for benefits' culture in Blighty where the hard-working tax payers are expected to fund the lazy and slovenly. Hard work and discipline seem to be a thing of the past for so many benefit-reliant households now, and they serve as dreadful role models to the numerous ill-disciplined offspring they seem to produce.

CS
He's not spot on, get back in your box and enjoy your brexit benefits, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Archangel

Archery1969 wrote:

Ah, the good old days! When men were men, women were women, and everyone knew their place, right? Yes, there was no need for food banks back then because we had workhouses and poverty-stricken children were sent up chimneys. Ah, progress!

Sure, laziness exists; I can't deny that. I mean, some mornings, even my coffee needs a coffee. But it's a bit of a leap to assume that everyone using a food bank is simply a layabout. I mean, have you ever tried to live on a zero-hours contract or make ends meet on Universal Credit?

I understand your point about people bettering themselves. But you see, it's a tad more complicated than that. It's like trying to bake a cake with no ingredients, no oven, and a recipe in a language you don't understand. It's possible, but it's going to be really, really hard.
Emmson

When CrazySkier starts talking about "hard working tax payers" I immediately remembered this exchange.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23549&hilit=tax&start=15
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 am
Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 pm
1) Open a business account
2) Withdraw all winnings to Paypal, never, ever to a debit card! Your bank will likely flag you immediately
3) Withdraw Paypal into your business account once per month
4) Transfer from said business account to current account on the last working day of each month (or 28th). Try to keep the amounts very similar (£2-4k ish) works very well
5) When you renew your mortgage or have any kind of credit check, simply state your employment as the name from which you pay yourself monthly, with full time employed being superior to self employed for insurance and risk assessment purposes

I've been doing this myself for many years, though I do genuinely have a small web and Google ads firm that accepts Paypal and transfers regularly into the business account from which I pay myself at the end of each month

Good luck!

CS
You're basically describing money laundering? And when you submit your HMRC tax return for your 'business', how do you expain the revenue source?
Derek27

A Christian wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:27 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

CS
Once again you're tarnishing everybody with the same brush and prejudging them. Christianity seems to have changed a lot since I was at school.

Some people drink, smoke, get takeaways and go to food banks because they can't afford food. Others stop spending money on luxuries of any kind and put food/children first. I'm guessing you think you'd not only be in the latter group if faced with the same problems but you're an exceptional human being and everybody around you would be in the former group. I can assure you you're not.
Crazyskier

Emmson wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:03 pm
When CrazySkier starts talking about "hard working tax payers" I immediately remembered this exchange.

ShaunWhite wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 pm
1) Open a business account
2) Withdraw all winnings to Paypal, never, ever to a debit card! Your bank will likely flag you immediately
3) Withdraw Paypal into your business account once per month
4) Transfer from said business account to current account on the last working day of each month (or 28th). Try to keep the amounts very similar (£2-4k ish) works very well
5) When you renew your mortgage or have any kind of credit check, simply state your employment as the name from which you pay yourself monthly, with full time employed being superior to self employed for insurance and risk assessment purposes

I've been doing this myself for many years, though I do genuinely have a small web and Google ads firm that accepts Paypal and transfers regularly into the business account from which I pay myself at the end of each month

Good luck!

CS
You're basically describing money laundering? And when you submit your HMRC tax return for your 'business', how do you expain the revenue source?
As I seem to remember stating at the time, this is hardly 'laundering' anything, simply creative accounting to demonstrate earnings in an acceptable manner for those solely reliant upon trading profits.

As I clarify above, I am NOT one of those people and am fortunate enough to have other income streams, for which I have been a higher rate tax payer for almost 3 decades. Tax avoidance is very different to tax evasion, and for this I employ a Chartered accountant to submit my returns and thoroughly recommend the same.

Keep trying though, Emmson - I only have two reprobates on my ignore list thus far (Derek and Sionascaig), and they are feeling a little lonely...

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 2:25 pm
Emmson wrote:

ShaunWhite wrote:

As I seem to remember stating at the time, this is hardly 'laundering' anything, simply creative accounting to demonstrate earnings in an acceptable manner for those solely reliant upon trading profits.

As I clarify above, I am NOT one of those people and am fortunate enough to have other income streams, for which I have been a higher rate tax payer for almost 3 decades. Tax avoidance is very different to tax evasion, and for this I employ a Chartered accountant to submit my returns and thoroughly recommend the same.

Keep trying though, Emmson - I only have two reprobates on my ignore list thus far (Derek and Sionascaig), and they are feeling a little lonely...

CS
It must be really hard work though, moving money from one account to another. Can't blame you for being angry at people who are so poor they don't have any money to move, never mind copying your efforts. But perhaps they think what you're doing isn't totally honest and are looking for a minimum wage job instead. :)
Last edited by Derek27 on Sun May 14, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sionascaig

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 2:25 pm
Emmson wrote:

ShaunWhite wrote:

CS
"Money laundering is the process of illegally concealing the origin of money, obtained from illicit activities such as drug trafficking, corruption, embezzlement or gambling, by converting it into a legitimate source."

Not convinced the authorities will agree with you. Why not ask them & see?
greenmark

Returnng to the issue of food banks. I thought that only people that are referred by other organisations can get food.
I quicky found this but it may not be accurate.
"The prerequisite to benefit from food banks is getting a referral from a social worker, general practitioner doctor, the police, a housing officer or somebody from the Citizens Advice Bureau.".

That doesn't sound like someone living high on the hog. I volunteered a while back in another sphere but the community organisation did run a food bank. I asked the boss about who used the food bank and he said "people in genuine need, they are all vetted and referred from people who know the individual's situation".

My current view is like Gordon Brown's - food banks are filling in the gaps that have opened in our social security net.
For those that think we're being over generous to the poor, go look at Germany. They spend MORE than us.

Blaming the poor for being poor kind of misses the elephant in the room.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:06 pm
Returnng to the issue of food banks. I thought that only people that are referred by other organisations can get food.
"The prerequisite to benefit from food banks is getting a referral from a social worker, general practitioner doctor, the police, a housing officer or somebody from the Citizens Advice Bureau.".

That doesn't sound like someone living high on the hog. I volunteered a while back in another sphere but the community organisation did run a food bank. I asked the boss about who used the food bank and he said "people in genuine need, they are all vetted and referred from people who know the individual's situation".

My current view is like Gordon Brown's - food banks are filling in the gaps that have opened in our social security net.
For those that think we're being over generous to the poor, go look at Germany. They spend MORE than us.

I'm pretty sure anyone can go, would nurses be referred? For many, the stigma and inconvenience would put off people who can afford to shop.

Having said that, if there was one near me, I would have used it a couple of days ago to get a carrot. They only sell them in large bags at the supermarket. :)
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:18 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:06 pm

I'm pretty sure anyone can go, would nurses be referred? For many, the stigma and inconvenience would put off people who can afford to shop.

Having said that, if there was one near me, I would have used it a couple of days ago to get a carrot. They only sell them in large bags at the supermarket. :)
If that's the case CS has a point. It should not be a free for all. It should be reserved for those in need. If nurses are using them then they should be applying for universal credit or whatever it is.
The onus should be on the government we elected to deal with these issues, not this kind of Victorian "hand-me-down" generosity from the public and volunteers.
It's the 21st century! Why are so thick as a species sometimes?

Return to “Political betting & arguing”