Rugby World Cup 2023

For men with odd shaped balls.
Euler

Great performance so far, but not much volume on the markets. Not that I'd trade them.
Emmson

This must be the 1st time I have watched England since maybe 2 World Cups ago, its hardly an attractive style but its working tonight.
Emmson

:evil:

All that good work has been wiped out.
Euler

Unlucky, matched at 1.25 for the win
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andy28

The officals in the final game are a joke
Archangel

Well done to SA. To win back to back world cups is a some achievement.
Commiserations to NZ , really close
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:37 pm
Well done to SA. To win back to back world cups is a some achievement.
Commiserations to NZ , really close
Had NZ not lost a player they would have won. But they did lose a player and they lost. It was another gruesome game, but rugby has many forms and this game slotted into the nearly unbreakable defence vs relentless attack category. But I think RSA earned that win.
andy28

Well done SA, they played it smart they brought the officals into it. This is a WC final and should be about the players. How the SA skipper didn't get a red beggars belief, it was the same as Canes if not worse as first contact was head on head. But in a clash of the titans and a WC on the line you have to let some of this stuff slide. Sure penalise the player give a warning and get on with it.

Wayne Barnes was not welcome in this country before the Final I suspect he is less welcome now.

I am still happy with the AB's to play so well with 14 against SA is a great effort, congrats SA
sibur

Some have criticised Wayne Barnes. Personally, I thought he had a good match. He explained his reasoning and communicated regularly with the TMO to qualify his decisions. The only thing he missed was the knock on in a lineout that led to NZ try but TMO spotted it anyway. Not sending off Kolissi was correct my view and in fact that wasn't WB decision anyway. He was also praised unanimously by the international pundits on ITV.
Dublin_Flyer

sibur wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:35 am
Some have criticised Wayne Barnes. Personally, I thought he had a good match. He explained his reasoning and communicated regularly with the TMO to qualify his decisions. The only thing he missed was the knock on in a lineout that led to NZ try but TMO spotted it anyway. Not sending off Kolissi was correct my view and in fact that wasn't WB decision anyway. He was also praised unanimously by the international pundits on ITV.
I thought he had a great game. The use of TMO in rugby should have been carbon copied by football introducing VAR, definite questions and clear yes/no communication, agreeing on the decision before announcing it. Instead VAR has been 50-50, but when they screw up, oh God they really screw up!
andy28

sibur wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:35 am

That lineout call was so wrong it is comical. It was cynical, had he handled it correctly it should have played out like this.

Barnes missed the knock on, so he lets play continue, resulting in an AB try. At that point the TMO says to Barnes there is something you need to look at, then showed him footage of the offence. Barnes then should have disallowed the try awarded a penalty and carded the player for cynical play slapping the arm of the halfback. Which then would have resulted in SA being a forward down the AB's would have then looked for touch 10-15m out and then gone for a rolling maul to score a try, if no try then look for a penalty in a much easier spot to kick, or even god forbid a drop goal is also an option. That's how the games played down here. To award NZ a penalty 50m out is little value from foul play that stop a try . Why do you praise a system the looks for a reason not to allow a try? You could find a technical reason in almost every ruck/maul/scrum/lineout in the game, if your not pulling them all up you can't pick and choose which ones to pull up

As for ITV's pundits what did they say about the blatant time wasting? In the last 20 minutes? You can clearly hear AB players saying to Barnes they are not injured they tied, Barnes response, I've stopped the watch, pathetic. Should be a rule where if a player goes down and needs the game stopped and is not a result of foul play or life threatening then the player leaves the field for treatment and returns after the next stoppage, similar to the rule in football. If this rule were in place I doubt any SA players would have gone down that weren't genuine injuries.

But what Barnes and ITV pundits need to learn is when officiating a match like the WC, they are there to allow teams to play in the fashion they want to play, not to impose dull and boring rugby on a team that wants to entertain. The WC is not about them it is about the time and effort put in by the players and to let the game be a spectacle that people want to come and watch not about the officals. Also they need to think about what impact their "Technical" decisions have on players during and after the game, Sam Cane is a player that has come back from a broken neck trained his arse off only to get red carded for a technicality is disgraceful. He isn't that kind of player.
andy28

I have to add I take nothing away from SA they played by the Northern Hemisphere rules and went with 7 forward reserves and 1 back, they know how it was going to play out.

Return to “Rugby”