This Forum

A place to discuss anything.
foxwood

LeTiss - I posted similar the other day - but in the rant thread where I thought it belonged at the time lol

Definitely gone downhill over the years. Other forums seem to have more self control or moderation and only genuine questions and answers get posted.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:50 pm
. Data analysis isn't something everybody does.
Obviously, but some must though surely! It's 2024 and automation is popular. Power Query and Scraping threads are viewed so they must do something with it apart from making pretty screens. In your lingo Derek, they get eggs, milk and sugar, but don't seem to have a waffle maker. ;)

Anyway this thread isn't for chit chat.
It's 2023. But I recognise your and LeTiss's irritation with the way the forum has changed.
Emmson

Shaun's post had a trace of superciliousness about it as if I'm maintaining standards but the rest of you rabble have turned the place into a bear pit. That is how I read it anyway.
Atho55

Change is fine but there are just too many disrespectful waste of time posts. Majority are nothing to do with trading. As usual BA invisible.... when it comes to moderation
ODPaul82

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:50 pm
. Data analysis isn't something everybody does.
Obviously, but some must though surely! It's 2024 and automation is popular. Power Query and Scraping threads are viewed so they must do something with it apart from making pretty screens. In your lingo Derek, they get eggs, milk and sugar, but don't seem to have a waffle maker. ;)

Anyway this thread isn't for chit chat.
Various scrapes and feeds which then dependent on sport I may just dump into excel, do some initial pivots then start putting together a parametized based model and use Solver. Others I might load into metastock and run back-tests. Then do live testing over a period of time, other items I may just have in SQL Server and query against those. Did use proform but got banned for sharing highly summarised data in a chat room I used to visit.

On the original topic I don't post that much into the chats about politics or conflicts unless I'm very very drunk. I'd rather spend my time constructively helping others with VBA or to attempt to make more money with BF or BA stuff rather than writing essays
Dallas

There's no need for me to repeat the line of 'light touch self moderation for the most part' etc as regular users are aware of the long standing way we've tried to moderate, but based on comments I'm seeing here and the amount of PM's I've had personally in recent months about the way the forum is now being used the general consensus (from both long standing members and newbies some of who have came and since left) I think it is probably time we did have a internal discussion about the direction of the forum.

As been mentioned in this topic we did of course split the forum into sports and non sports earlier this year as a way of making it easier for people to find what they were interested in.
But as I've since learned a lot of people don't actually login to the forum daily and instead used to scan through the active topics page displayed on the desktop screen and only logged in if they wanted to reply or post something, but since the trading topics are now quickly buried they are often missed with several users saying privately don't even scroll through them now and just go onto using the software

Not sure what the best course of action is but maybe we take all topics not related to trading, the software or sports offline for a few months?
foxwood

Dallas wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:13 pm
Not sure what the best course of action is but maybe we take all topics not related to trading, the software or sports offline for a few months?
Sadly, I think that's probably the only way to go unless you answer "social media" or "content moderation" to the question "what business are we in ?"

Vote / like buttons may be helpful for overview moderation longer term or there are low cost tools such as moderationapi.com which could be useful.
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
I think people will be on their best behaviour for the next few months after that suggestion. ;)
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:31 pm
Dallas wrote:
I think people will be on their best behaviour for the next few months after that suggestion. ;)
Snowflake
Crazyskier

Dallas wrote:
There's no need for me to repeat the line of 'light touch self moderation for the most part' etc as regular users are aware of the long standing way we've tried to moderate, but based on comments I'm seeing here and the amount of PM's I've had personally in recent months about the way the forum is now being used the general consensus (from both long standing members and newbies some of who have came and since left) I think it is probably time we did have a internal discussion about the direction of the forum.

As been mentioned in this topic we did of course split the forum into sports and non sports earlier this year as a way of making it easier for people to find what they were interested in.
But as I've since learned a lot of people don't actually login to the forum daily and instead used to scan through the active topics page displayed on the desktop screen and only logged in if they wanted to reply or post something, but since the trading topics are now quickly buried they are often missed with several users saying privately don't even scroll through them now and just go onto using the software

It's a tough one, Dallas, for sure. Around a decade ago when I first started trading this forum was gold dust for tips, tricks and insights. I confess to indulging in some off-topic theology debates over the years, however eventually realised that I'm either 'preaching to the converted' or ' my words were falling on deaf / sarcastic ears.

I also learned there is an ignore option, though sadly I still see their names every time they post, with only their messages hidden, rather than removing them entirely, so less than ideal.

In summary, I have both used the forum less and contributed less in recent months; as others have said, it's more off-topic than on and the same people saying the same things mostly.

Going forwards, I think some strict moderation allowing perhaps one or two non trading related topics might be best.

CS
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:53 pm
...' or ' my words were falling on deaf / sarcastic ears.
Certainly not. We listened, but just disagreed. :)
lotora

Dallas wrote:
Excellent idea :!:
Hepburn

I would prefer the forum to be politics free but the old dears need somewhere to have a moan.
Kai

Yep, was thinking of making a similar thread, albeit differently, but I like using international footy breaks to catch up on other interests... although I will briefly comment on the issues raised, of which there are many!

Don't really know anything about UK politics despite having family in England but I understand it's probably a turbulent period in the UK and I get how it can spill over into every thread and cause infighting etc. Tbh I always just skipped political threads for years, like most racing and auto threads, only occasionally popped in for a joke, you are obviously free to consume whatever you want.

As for prolonged personal spats I probably wouldn't have much tolerance for it since I think it's fairly easy not be a dickhead, but I get it can be challenging for some, especially in a close-knit community where people know each other so well they begin to seriously irritate one another. Generally I feel the light touch approach to moderation works well most of the time and have to credit mods for that... but evidently not everything can be laughed off and sometimes mediation attempts just prevent ongoing arguments from reaching their natural conclusion.

But yes, it's quite normal to have "haters" in general (and often desirable too) but DO NOT engage with every hateful comment you see regardless of platform if you value your sanity, like Anbell wisely said "therein madness lies", don't get baited into it by your own ego because you will invest everything but achieve nothing, it is INFINITELY more sensible to focus on the positive stuff instead, that simply has to be said once again. There is also no actual need to correct every detail in every post, nor shove advice down someone's throat if they don't ask for it, sometimes it's better to allow people to make a few "errors" of their own so they can learn from it.

Regarding content quality, I was sort of used to trading communities where people only posted trades and nothing else, so it was quite the culture shock when I realized this was almost frowned upon here, I didn't quite understand the level of scepticism and I realized years ago that most people weren't too interested in trading discussions either, which was disappointing but I accepted it. I think Psychoff tried posting a bit as well but soon gave up for similar reasons, I personally don't think he got the feedback he deserved.

Anyway, it's the participants that shape the forum. Just like they form and shape a trading market when they drive the price with their opinion... but I 100% believe that regulars should hold themselves to higher standards overall and ideally have an obligation to insert a bit of quality or at the very least refrain from using foul language on a regular basis.

And for those who can't see past Derek's rants and don't find his personality likeable, yes I am often critical of his posts as well because I believe he can do better so I don't blame anyone for thinking he hijacked the platform as his own personal Twitter feed, but his non-trading posts do showcase the trading lifestyle, and all the daily routines with all the good/bad/ugly side of it too. It's not all about lying on the beach with a laptop whilst running automation back home.
Anbell

One advantage of the lower-quality posts is they provide 'liquidity.'

There are at least 50 of us here who normally check in a few times a day and read most posts (even if we might ignore some threads entirely.) If someone has a trading or technical problem, a few of us are going to read their post within a couple of hours, and there might be one or two responses that might lead to further responses from the regulars offering further insight/advice/alternatives.

If we put a brake on the 'liquidity' then people won't check as often and the quality volume is likely to dry up as well. The Australian Racing thread is a good example. Nobody posts there any more so nobody posts there any more.

Return to “General discussion”