Why is everyone scared of low liquidity / early greyhound markets

A place to discuss anything.
Fugazi

Surely when they are so volatile and inefficient this is when an advanced trader can absolutely go to town and abuse the inefficiencies? Probably a high number of brand new traders messing around on them too?

Of course, most of us are not advanced traders.
Anbell

Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:22 pm
Surely when they are so volatile and inefficient this is when an advanced trader can absolutely go to town and abuse the inefficiencies? Probably a high number of brand new traders messing around on them too?

For every market there is a strategy and for every strategy there is a market.

Many of us bet on greyhounds but scalping thin GH markets might not be ideal for most
Kai

Not sure scared is the right word, you can try to learn how to manually beat some of the little bots but not sure how useful this would be when trading

This market is a bit like a proxy war, I think it's a perfect example of why people say that good trading is often mind-numbingly boring

I suppose one benefit with very thin markets is it's easier to see what others are doing, when you lack your own inspiration etc
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:46 pm
Not sure scared is the right word,
Exactly what I was thinking ... perhaps, why everyone couldn't be arsed with low liquidity markets. :lol:
Fugazi

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 pm
Kai wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking ... perhaps, why everyone couldn't be arsed with low liquidity markets. :lol:
Hah yes. I say scared because I see so many posts telling newbies not to trade low liquidity, volatile markets as though it is the root of all evil. But it seemed to me there could be lots to learn, such as how the early traders decide what to price at and why. From that, some ?easy pickings for small profits
Derek27

Fugazi wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:00 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 pm
Kai wrote:
Hah yes. I say scared because I see so many posts telling newbies not to trade low liquidity, volatile markets as though it is the root of all evil. But it seemed to me there could be lots to learn, such as how the early traders decide what to price at and why. From that, some ?easy pickings for small profits
I used to enjoy trading US racing. As Anbell said, there's a strategy for every market. The key is smaller stakes and bigger swings, smaller stakes giving you more leeway when the market goes against you. What you absolutely don't want to do is overstake and then panic when there's not enough liquidity to get out. :)
Archery1969

Fugazi wrote:

I posted a way of trading low liquidity markets early on. It was aimed at Greyhounds but will work on any market the earlier you get involved. The key is knowing when value has gone both of backing and laying. However, you will find your opponents are mainly bots with a similar strategy. You can both push each other around up and down the ladder until you figure out when to stop. At first, you will get it wrong and take a number of small loses but over time you will figure out when the value has gone on both sides.

Finally, these bots are not perfect, even in today’s markets and they often make mistakes which you can exploit albeit for a short period of time.

Good luck but most of all keep your stakes low and have fun watching the markets.
Fugazi

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:47 pm
Fugazi wrote:

I posted a way of trading low liquidity markets early on. It was aimed at Greyhounds but will work on any market the earlier you get involved. The key is knowing when value has gone both of backing and laying. However, you will find your opponents are mainly bots with a similar strategy. You can both push each other around up and down the ladder until you figure out when to stop. At first, you will get it wrong and take a number of small loses but over time you will figure out when the value has gone on both sides.

Finally, these bots are not perfect, even in today’s markets and they often make mistakes which you can exploit albeit for a short period of time.

Good luck but most of all keep your stakes low and have fun watching the markets.

I'll have a dig around for your strategy. My aim is the learning process and skills rather than a big profit from it. Ive noticed it seems to be bots spazzing out against easy other for £1/£2 stakes

Return to “General discussion”