Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:32 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:02 pm
A weekly profit is probably better than half the forum so don't be downhearted, this time next year Rodney.
This guy wasn't wrong.
Rarely was

Brutally honest at times but honest nonetheless
Fugazi

Kai wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:38 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:32 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:02 pm
A weekly profit is probably better than half the forum so don't be downhearted, this time next year Rodney.
This guy wasn't wrong.
Rarely was

Brutally honest at times but honest nonetheless
I was actually referring to the pop culture reference!

''This time next year we'll be millionaires'' That's Delboy to Rodney on Fools and Horses. He would have a new scam every week which he thought would make them rich

The irony is that Goat did make it.
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:45 pm
I was actually referring to the pop culture reference!
Yep, same here ;)
masmoon

Also read through this 300 page thread, it caught my attention as we all begin our trading journeys as Goat68 on page 1.

This is my first post but I wanted to ask a different question to any profitable trader available, is it not possible to make consistent monthly profits without back testing? In regards to using automation?

In these last two years I've spent my time collecting football data and with a lot of back testing I've managed to collect £5k from the bookies (and lost my account in the process), so now I am looking to conquer horse racing automation. It might be naïve to comment this, but I was hoping to not collect 1+ year's worth of horse racing data to become a successful trader.

Apologies if this sounds too intrusive or rude to ask as well, but if the BetAngel community automation setups were successful, then most traders here would be in massive profits, but despite the large number of community shared settings for Guardian, most of us are not in that boat are we? So it's safe to say that thinking in a more complex manner to your typical thread would be closer to success?

Looking at Goat's Journey up to March 2022, he had to cover basis on what most traders are not doing, which is essentially his edge in the market. However along that same journey he was told "it's not as complex as you think" during his VWAP discussions/theories and also his +EV comments.

Is it right to say that there are settings in-between basic and "too complex" that actually works with BA's automation tool? It's hard for me to not discuss my thoughts at this stage, when it's grabbed my attention for this long!
grimm

masmoon wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:05 pm
Also read through this 300 page thread, it caught my attention as we all begin our trading journeys as Goat68 on page 1.

This is my first post but I wanted to ask a different question to any profitable trader available, is it not possible to make consistent monthly profits without back testing? In regards to using automation?

In these last two years I've spent my time collecting football data and with a lot of back testing I've managed to collect £5k from the bookies (and lost my account in the process), so now I am looking to conquer horse racing automation. It might be naïve to comment this, but I was hoping to not collect 1+ year's worth of horse racing data to become a successful trader.

Apologies if this sounds too intrusive or rude to ask as well, but if the BetAngel community automation setups were successful, then most traders here would be in massive profits, but despite the large number of community shared settings for Guardian, most of us are not in that boat are we? So it's safe to say that thinking in a more complex manner to your typical thread would be closer to success?

Looking at Goat's Journey up to March 2022, he had to cover basis on what most traders are not doing, which is essentially his edge in the market. However along that same journey he was told "it's not as complex as you think" during his VWAP discussions/theories and also his +EV comments.

Is it right to say that there are settings in-between basic and "too complex" that actually works with BA's automation tool? It's hard for me to not discuss my thoughts at this stage, when it's grabbed my attention for this long!
I have success in manual trading but can't put in automation. As human I can see when to lay or back and exit but in automation I can't figure out. It can be complex if you dont know what you looking into( like me I can't figure how to lay or back).I think in ends he made his own software for automation. For me BA is very good as I attach excel for stats rather jumping for website (stats) and ladder screen or inplay. Get data,define your edge. Run back test see how it's goes. Then forward test. If it's complex someone here Will help you or us. Good luck.
Anbell

masmoon wrote:

It doesnt have to be complex, but it probably cant be obvious.
conduirez

Anbell wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:28 pm
masmoon wrote:

You need as much data as is useful, you need to break the data down as much as possible and look for obscure trends that can make money.

AS for automation, I have always been good at writing code, from the days of Commodore and Acorn (showing my age), I know a number of computer languages now, but even I cannot just sit there and write all the code for what I want to achieve in one go.

No matter if you are writing code or using the BA's automation you have to write down what you want to achieve and how you go about it manually.

One of the first things I do is write everything down in a word document, and then from this I create a flow Chart, only then do I start to write the automation. But I might end up changing the flow chart six or seven times during the process.

Finally, I write a manual for myself of what I have done, the reason for this is, it is no good looking back five months later to incorporate adjustments and you cannot remember everything you have done before.

In simple terms break it down, even Bill Gates did not sit there one day and write all the code for Microsoft off the top of his head.
Kai

conduirez wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:29 pm
Anbell wrote:
masmoon wrote:

You need as much data as is useful, you need to break the data down as much as possible and look for obscure trends that can make money.
Even one-liner advice has useful data, which I'm sure people often overlook or ignore. The more one understands a subject, the more effectively they can summarize its key aspects.

Take Anbell above for example, probably most efficient poster with only a few words per post on average? Word for word this is some of the best value you can find.
Anbell

Kai wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:40 pm
conduirez wrote:
Anbell wrote:

Even one-liner advice has useful data, which I'm sure people often overlook or ignore. The more one understands a subject, the more effectively they can summarize its key aspects.

Take Anbell above for example, probably most efficient poster with only a few words per post on average? Word for word this is some of the best value you can find.
Kind words, but you made a category error. The best measure of contribution (wisdom, generosity, skills) is value/post, not value/word. And in that measure you dwarf me.
Kai

Anbell wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:03 am
Kai wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:40 pm
conduirez wrote:

Kind words, but you made a category error. The best measure of contribution (wisdom, generosity, skills) is value/post, not value/word. And in that measure you dwarf me.
I merely try to point out the obvious for the most part, which in truth is not too difficult when observant enough.

But I appreciate that, although it's really haters that one probably needs more of, if they're ever going to feel successful :lol:

Not fishing for compliments either, on a personal note you've helped me appreciate how CRUCIAL brevity actually is, not just eloquence, a major detail I somehow myself missed, and I've long been insisting to Shaun he must apply some of it as well, along the lines of yourself, gazuty, Euler and a few others I'm sure I'm momentarily forgetting. To try and say more with less, because the opposite can sometimes end up counter-productive.

For the context of this thread and others like it in general, a classic example and a common pattern I have noticed is when someone posts the usual "cannot see the forest from the trees" and seeks advice but only receives one-liner responses in return, which he too often misunderstands or ignores, thinking these posters are not trying to be very helpful or even trying to be the opposite of it.

But no, they've done you a favour by narrowing down on the most key aspect you should likely focus on. Which is exactly what you've asked for, to "see the forest from the trees".

So you REALLY need to think through what they've actually said, a SINGLE keyword they carefully used there can lead to your own eureka moment.

I know this to be unequivocally true 👍
firlandsfarm

conduirez wrote:
One of the first things I do is write everything down in a word document, and then from this I create a flow Chart, only then do I start to write the automation.
I was catching up on this thread and was about to make the same point. Many years ago when first venturing into bot betting I invoked a coder to build an app for me. To do so he asked that I write a storey of a full day's activity in prose. He wanted every thought, every reasoning and every outcome in text because he claimed the text told him more about my decision path than any numeric data.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”