Horse Racing Knowledge

The sport of kings.
GraceDays

Hi

Im not new to horse racing however since retirement I have started enjoying it everyday apart from just the weekends (big races).

This new interest has led me to want to develop my knowledge on the sport further swell as try and increase my gambling/betangel knowledge.

Basically just wandering does anyone have any sites or links or YouTube videos that explain horse racing to me ? From Basics to the in-depth stuff. Weights, handicapping, going, class of race, age of horse and what ages run better at what races etc etc

thanks in advance
wearthefoxhat

GraceDays wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:22 am
Hi

Im not new to horse racing however since retirement I have started enjoying it everyday apart from just the weekends (big races).

This new interest has led me to want to develop my knowledge on the sport further swell as try and increase my gambling/betangel knowledge.

Basically just wandering does anyone have any sites or links or YouTube videos that explain horse racing to me ? From Basics to the in-depth stuff. Weights, handicapping, going, class of race, age of horse and what ages run better at what races etc etc

thanks in advance

This guy on You-Tube covers the bases well. No need to pay for any services.

https://www.youtube.com/@artimuspaint9138/videos
Andriy

Once you're ok with the basics, the Timeform Knowledge is very detailed for the in-depth things, like pace, sectional analysis, how to rate a horse etc.
Here's a couple of links, and the rest are on the same site and you'll find you're way about:

https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/f ... dge-992015
https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/f ... _explained

Another one worth reading for a newbie, are their essays on the best ever (highest rated), flat, hurdle and jumps:
https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/n ... ing-582020
StellaBot

If you will be comparing times , distances and goings etc
this site maybe useful

an example results of meeting here

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/raci ... 2024/10396
Derek27

Timeform was a real goldmine of knowledge for me when I was punting, and they had some top-notch pundits worth listening to. It was such a shame Timeform Radio went off air shortly after Betfair took over the company.
StellaBot

Timeform is cool

Thing is though. Handicap races all horses should finish
in a photo finish. Same as greyhounds.

So therefore, you have to decide where you look elsewhere
Derek27

StellaBot wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:32 pm
Timeform is cool

A handicapper's weight is determined by his handicap rating, which in turn is based on his best recent form. Other than fixed penalty weights, the handicapper can't make adjustments for horses out of form, progressing, on favoured tracks, distances, ground, etc. So they can still be substantially narrowed down. It's the competitive nature of handicap betting markets that make them good punting races and value is often there. :)
wearthefoxhat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:10 pm
StellaBot wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:32 pm
Timeform is cool

A handicapper's weight is determined by his handicap rating, which in turn is based on his best recent form. Other than fixed penalty weights, the handicapper can't make adjustments for horses out of form, progressing, on favoured tracks, distances, ground, etc. So they can still be substantially narrowed down. It's the competitive nature of handicap betting markets that make them good punting races and value is often there. :)
+1

The way certain trainers manipulate the handicap system is a dark art too. Not cheating as such, just trying to give a runner the best chance of winning to satisfy the connections and pay the bills.

Creating your own tissue price (easier than it was years ago) is a good starting point to assess value. If your model is more accurate than the live market, then you've got a fighting chance. Main issue is, we are only privy to "known" information (ie: Form and Stats), it's the "unknown" information that we only find out once we know the result. (ie: Pace of the race, tactics used, bad luck/good luck in running...etc)

Agree, Timeform @ £30 a month is very good. One issue is, all the big institutions subscribe to it as well and factor in the information accordingly.

Finding your own niche is best way IMO, and cheaper. Our biggest edge is selectiing the race(s) to analyse and get involved in.
MemphisFlash

has anyone seen this.
Someone with an axe to grind for Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXxF8ZaYmmo
Capture.PNG

found this after being pointed to first link in message above
from same guy's videos posted by WearTheFoxHat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wearthefoxhat

MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:19 pm
has anyone seen this.
Someone with an axe to grind for Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXxF8ZaYmmo

Capture.PNG
His content is good on some of the You-Tube videos.

On that particular one he took umbrage about one of the B.A. threads and felt he needed to air his thoughts on his own you-tube channel.
Kai

Why even bring this up, seen it at the time and didn't think there was much to discuss, not the first person that thinks fundamentals are the only approach to markets.

Don't see what the big deal is, some people read form while others read market and public opinion etc. If reading form works for you that's great, but is it possible to win at every race with that approach though, for example.

I don't subscribe to the content creator dramas and don't see why anyone would want these YT headaches, wish they would get along more and collab more for everyone's benefit, but this really looks like an attack on everyone that doesn't use fundamentals and then an indirect attack on Peter on top.

Thought it was a decent discussion thread otherwise? Showcased how it's good that people view the markets differently and create opportunities for one another, the more the merrier? Have no problems with that at all.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”