Why You Will Never Make A Profit On Automation Alone

A place to discuss anything.
hecojef928

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:43 pm
I agree its tricky, don't want to hide it thats what a gambler does.

But equally just wouldn't go out of my way I just find the conversation a waste of time.

Easy for me though, still work fulltime, no reason to have to explain to anyone i make some money on the side trading
Absolutely, and there's no harm in it. You can certainly continue learning and experimenting with automation alongside your full-time job. By the way, do you access your VPS while at work? These days, using RDP and VNC with your tablet or phone is possible if you don't have access to a desktop (while at work).
Fugazi

hecojef928 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:44 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:43 pm
I agree its tricky, don't want to hide it thats what a gambler does.

But equally just wouldn't go out of my way I just find the conversation a waste of time.

Easy for me though, still work fulltime, no reason to have to explain to anyone i make some money on the side trading
Absolutely, and there's no harm in it. You can certainly continue learning and experimenting with automation alongside your full-time job. By the way, do you access your VPS while at work? These days, using RDP and VNC with your tablet or phone is possible if you don't have access to a desktop (while at work).
I'm a physio working in a hospital so even if I had a need to access it, would never have the time or signal!

I just set up quickly in the morning / evenings. Hit a brick wall with it though as I need to create a data collection file. I've got where I have with trial and error but really need to start collecting data now and a bit of coding but simply haven't even the time to work out how to data collect properly with Bet Angel
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:42 am
hecojef928 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 am
Euler wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:36 pm
The most surprising, revealing and at times perplexing insights I've had in my trading career have centred around just how people can be so wrong.

Not just things like this OP, but there was that classic martingale thread where it ended with the OP saying something along the lines of 'I hear what you are all saying, but I'm going to give it a try'

It's amazing. it's completely changed the way I approach the markets and opened up so many doors for me.

As I often say, positive people find opportunities, negative ones problems. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find opportunties.
Dealing with negativity from family and friends about my interest in trading and betting has been tough. Some friendships have even faded because of it. Their response is often filled with negativity, labeling it as impossible, gambling, or a waste of time. Their lack of understanding can be discouraging, but it hasn't stopped me pushing forward.

I'm determined to pursue what I enjoy doing, regardless of their doubts. Instead of letting their skepticism hold me back, I'm using it as motivation to show them what's possible. It's not been easy over the years, but I'm committed to pushing forward, learning, and doing my best, despite the doubts around me.
Why bother telling them?

I don't bother except a few close friends. Not worth the hassle.
Good advice, no point inviting even more pressure, esp when you can't yet prove them wrong without concrete results

Use the classic underpromise and overdeliver strat if you value your hair follicles
hecojef928

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm
I'm a physio working in a hospital so even if I had a need to access it, would never have the time or signal!

I just set up quickly in the morning / evenings. Hit a brick wall with it though as I need to create a data collection file. I've got where I have with trial and error but really need to start collecting data now and a bit of coding but simply haven't even the time to work out how to data collect properly with Bet Angel
Ah got you! and I agree with the signal in hospitals; if you believe data has potential, it's worth exploring. Just be careful not to get trapped in curve fitting. Some traders swear by historical data, while others focus more on what's in front of them on the ladder. It's all about finding what works best for you.
Kai wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:42 pm
Good advice, no point inviting even more pressure, esp when you can't yet prove them wrong without concrete results

Use the classic underpromise and overdeliver strat if you value your hair follicles
Absolutely

Return to “General discussion”