Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am
Friday 29th March 2024

Donald Tusk:

"War a real threat and Europe not ready"

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68692195
As long as the US is ready we should be fine. :)
Better hope Trump is not re elected as he might well leave the UK and Europe hanging and join forces with Russia and North Korea. 😔
Archery1969

Ukraine has run out of missiles.

Won’t be long now before they fall.

😔
FastandCurious

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 pm

😔
I truly hope and believe that you are wrong that they are about to fall.

Time for the EU to get more serious about defense cooperation. As things are, everything cannot be left to NATO.

Unfortunately we can no longer fully trust Yankee Doodle....
Archery1969

FastandCurious wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:14 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

😔

Time for the EU to get more serious about defense cooperation. As things are, everything cannot be left to NATO.

Without missiles they won’t be able to defend their sky’s or attack Russian logistic and resupply routes.

This will effectively open them up to bombing not seen since the London blitzes of the 1940’s.

If I were Zelensky then I would go on national TV saying “We abandoning Ukraine and going west”

I don’t think the EU would want another 38 million people turning up on their border asking to be housed, watered and fed.
FastandCurious

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:23 pm
FastandCurious wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

😔

Without missiles they won’t be able to defend their sky’s or attack Russian logistic and resupply routes.

This will effectively open them up to bombing not seen since the London blitzes of the 1940’s.

If I were Zelensky then I would go on national TV saying “We abandoning Ukraine and going west”

I don’t think the EU would want another 38 million people turning up on their border asking to be housed, watered and fed.
I have no insider knowledge, but I very much doubt that they are out of all missiles.

NASAMS air defense, in several regards inferior to the Patriot systems, can use several different missiles which are commonly used by many European air forces. I would be shocked if they truly are out of all such missiles. If true, I think they would receive supplies from EU-countries as well as the UK.

I agree the situation does not look good, but I don't think they are open to bombing not seen since the London blitzes. For the record the bombing done by allied air forces greatly surpassed what was dropped by ze Germans during the blitz.

Furthermore, more bombs were covertly dropped on Laos during the Vietnam War than on Germany and Japan combined during World War II.

The Blitz is very well known and was obviously very very bad in deed, but far surpassed by what happened during the next years and decades.

I am not sure an insane Russian bombing campaign would be enough to break the spirit of the Ukrainians. At least I really hope so...
Archery1969

FastandCurious wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
FastandCurious wrote:

I have no insider knowledge, but I very much doubt that they are out of all missiles.

NASAMS air defense, in several regards inferior to the Patriot systems, can use several different missiles which are commonly used by many European air forces. I would be shocked if they truly are out of all such missiles. If true, I think they would receive supplies from EU-countries as well as the UK.

I agree the situation does not look good, but I don't think they are open to bombing not seen since the London blitzes. For the record the bombing done by allied air forces greatly surpassed what was dropped by ze Germans during the blitz.

Furthermore, more bombs were covertly dropped on Laos during the Vietnam War than on Germany and Japan combined during World War II.

The Blitz is very well known and was obviously very very bad in deed, but far surpassed by what happened during the next years and decades.

I am not sure an insane Russian bombing campaign would be enough to break the spirit of the Ukrainians. At least I really hope so...
I have personal experience of this stuff.

Ukraine can no longer win.

Don't get me wrong, i have friends there plus ex UK forces fighting on the frontlines. Without air cover, it's now, a losing fight.

Yes, Ukraine is a very proud nation and so are its people. But in a war scenario, you need to protect your ground forces and logistics. If you cant then it's only a matter of time before you have to make a decision as to how many of your forces and citizens you want to lose.

Ukraine, could, if it wanted too, call up around 4 million to fight. But without the correct equipment then you might as well stand them all up against a wall and just pull the trigger.

The EU and USA are sitting on enough equipment to defeat Russia within 3 months if they handed it over to Ukraine. They are also sitting on some $87 billion of seized Russian assets worldwide.

We all read the news and Biden is unable to release any more military aid for Ukraine. But he has it within his power to sign an executive order which bypasses Congress, the Senate and House of Representatives.

I hope Ukraine does not fall but if it does then the Balkans will be next. If that looks likely then the one saving grace is that Poland will take direct action against Russia, more than likely meaning, WW3 etc.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:49 pm
FastandCurious wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

I have personal experience of this stuff.

Ukraine can no longer win.

Don't get me wrong, i have friends there plus ex UK forces fighting on the frontlines. Without air cover, it's now, a losing fight.

Yes, Ukraine is a very proud nation and so are its people. But in a war scenario, you need to protect your ground forces and logistics. If you cant then it's only a matter of time before you have to make a decision as to how many of your forces and citizens you want to lose.

Ukraine, could, if it wanted too, call up around 4 million to fight. But without the correct equipment then you might as well stand them all up against a wall and just pull the trigger.

The EU and USA are sitting on enough equipment to defeat Russia within 3 months if they handed it over to Ukraine. They are also sitting on some $87 billion of seized Russian assets worldwide.

We all read the news and Biden is unable to release any more military aid for Ukraine. But he has it within his power to sign an executive order which bypasses Congress, the Senate and House of Representatives.

I hope Ukraine does not fall but if it does then the Balkans will be next. If that looks likely then the one saving grace is that Poland will take direct action against Russia, more than likely meaning, WW3 etc.
From what I've read - well googled/wiki'd. Indiscriminate bombing doesn't weaken a nation's resolve. So Russia's choice is precision bombing that takes out vital resources, so not many people die but their abililty to live is reduced to unsurvivable levels.
Given (as you say) support from US/EU Ukraine are very capabable and very, very motivated to hit Russia in the Donbas and beyond.

We return to the question - was Ukraine's behaviour in Donbas justification for Russia unleashing death and misery on a scale not seen in Europe since the collapse of Yugoslavia, Serbian nationalism and Bosnia. I think we're getting close to the Bosnia numbers now.
I have a dream. Putin suddenly decides to negotiate a settlement and stop all this hostility. He holds the reins and I suspect he knows it.
If, however, he thinks Ukraine is the first step to Euorpean dominatiion he must be as thick as a whale omelette,
Derek27

Lethal aid bill passed through the House of Representatives. $60 billion dollars of weapons on its way to Ukraine.
Archery1969

The USA finally passes the $61 billion military arms bill. 👏
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:09 pm
Lethal aid bill passed through the House of Representatives. $60 billion dollars of weapons on its way to Ukraine.

Love to Ukraine
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
I'm happy that money is going to Ukraine. They need it.
Westminster City Council & MPS could do with similar monies. It's like Gaza Strip down here at the weekends. I feel sorry for businesses operating in the area ...
The Silk Run

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:11 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Love to Ukraine
Concur +100
Archery1969

The Silk Run wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:08 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I'm happy that money is going to Ukraine. They need it.
Westminster City Council & MPS could do with similar monies. It's like Gaza Strip down here at the weekends. I feel sorry for businesses operating in the area ...
I appreciate that councils and people in the UK need help. I really do.

But they are not being bombed daily.

I know people in the UK feel pissed off because millions of £ are being sent to Ukraine. But one thing is for sure, if someone does harm to the UK then 100% Ukraine will come to our aid in the future.

Having served in war zones around the world, one thing, i detest is kill of the innocent, usually children.

I wish the UK could solve all the problems at home and around the world.

In the meantime, my message to Ukraine is, use the aid wisely and smash Russia on the ground.
Derek27

MoD supplying Ukrainians training over here with free cigarettes, after complaints that they're too expensive over here.

A pack costs £1.70 in Ukraine, I would have signed up to fight if anyone told me that!
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:46 pm
MoD supplying Ukrainians training over here with free cigarettes, after complaints that they're too expensive over here.

A pack costs £1.70 in Ukraine, I would have signed up to fight if anyone told me that!
I imagine most of the brands in Ukraine are Russian made. Probably like sticking your mouth over a car exhaust. Good for serving on the western front but nothing else. 😱

Return to “Chill Out Area”