EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Samo154

Tragic news :( the market last night was crazy huge amounts of money been thrown around! What stocks is everyone looking at
superfrank

hgodden wrote:Hows everyone else's morning been?
fabulous. 'been sat in the garden in the sun drinking tea.

there's bound to be some short-term upheaval but you can't shy away from democratic change because you're scared of market reaction.

the EU is going in the wrong direction and we're better off getting out early (imho and 17m others).
Mr Undercover

hgodden wrote:So in no particular order..... the pound has fallen, shares have dived, billions wiped off people's pension funds, millions of expats (and natives) face an uncertain future, Scotland has practically called a referendum and is likely to leave the UK, the Northern Irish repulicans are asking for the same which risks a return to war and terrorism, Spain is demanding Gibralter back, Calais is preparing to dismantle the jungle with the prospect of no UK border guards to stop the refugees all coming over here at once (perhaps this was what BJ was referring to when he said Independance Day), the country has no prime minister and soon will have no opposition leader.

And it's only just lunchtime!

Hows everyone else's morning been?
These are unsettling events but the path towards justice and democracy has always been a difficult one and i feel proud that the british people have had the courage to break free and show the rest of europe, and the world, that these principals and values are worth fighting for as is our traditions. I squarely put the blame for this mess on the bureacrats and political class who have hijacked the EU for their own aims and attempted to deny the people their democratic rights and serve the will of the people.
bennyboy351

My BRITISH bacon sandwich tasted great! Okay, so I washed it down with a Belgian beer - but even that was brewed in GREAT BRITAIN! Guess what I voted? LOL
Euler

Technically Gareth Bale is now Real Madrid's 4th non EU player now and should disqualified from playing in for them.

Also, all EU players should be required to apply for a work permit to play in the premier league.

I guess we are going to come across quite a few examples of new quirks coming to the fore.
Euler

Must admit, I'm disappointed for my kids who will lose the right to live, work and travel without restriction. There is the real prospect that Wales and England will be the only country they have any automatic right to anything.
Euler

Bet you the EU negotiators wished they had given David Cameron more than a clip around the ear now, when he asked for some concessions!
LeTiss

It's noticeable how Hollande and Merkel seem reflective today, and accept Europe has differing nations with differing views, and their own identity. It ultimately took Brexit before they accepted this and their need to change
vankancisco

It will be strange having a controlled border with Scotland if events proceed as expected, looks like there'll be some rumblings in Northern Ireland as well. It certainly seems like a disenfranchised protest vote which is the worrying thing, far right national groups are celebrating across Europe. No one can deny the people have spoken, just hope they know what they've actually voted for 8-)
LinusP

I watched the big short at the weekend and was wondering when the next big market move would happen, completely oblivious to the chance of today happening.

Looking forward to Michael Lewis's next book on the subject! :D
jimibt

Euler wrote:Must admit, I'm disappointed for my kids who will lose the right to live, work and travel without restriction. There is the real prospect that Wales and England will be the only country they have any automatic right to anything.
likewise - if you're involved in the travelling arts (music, film, theatre etc), this red button vote is a complete step backwards. I guess as a nation we've become too used to excercising our votes on x-factor and BGT etc, to take notice of the real world implications of twitchy fingers. oh well.. time to get real with the digital nomad lifestyle i guess.
Lost The Rider

I watched the big short at the weekend and was wondering when the next big market move would happen, completely oblivious to the chance of today happening.
I would love to know Mark Baum's opinion on all this!
jimibt

jimibt wrote:
Euler wrote:Must admit, I'm disappointed for my kids who will lose the right to live, work and travel without restriction. There is the real prospect that Wales and England will be the only country they have any automatic right to anything.
likewise - if you're involved in the travelling arts (music, film, theatre etc), this red button vote is a complete step backwards. I guess as a nation we've become too used to excercising our votes on x-factor and BGT etc, to take notice of the real world implications of twitchy fingers. oh well.. time to get real with the digital nomad lifestyle i guess.
and to take that further, the red tape that's going to be involved in organising film and sound crews from the EU, working in the UK (ditto any location based work of a short duration) is going to make the two way exchange all the more difficult.. not pleased and not confident that we're a progressive outward looking nation :(
CLOWNSHOES

Euler wrote: There is the real prospect that Wales and England will be the only country they have any automatic right to anything.
Yup i can already see it all over my social media. The scottish YES campaign are going to milk this for all they can.
superfrank

When Boris met Dave (docudrama, 2009)
https://vimeo.com/74365223

Return to “Political betting & arguing”