Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
Archery1969

So they going to remove the Rhodes statue.

That will probably mean the 100 students from around the world each year won’t get funded to study at Oxford College going forward.

So what people will say, no big deal.

Well it probably is to all those students of poor background that got the chance to study there before.

Is BLM going to fund these lucky students going forward ?

Not holding my breath.
spreadbetting

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:14 am

That will probably mean the 100 students from around the world each year won’t get funded to study at Oxford College going forward.

Well it probably is to all those students of poor background that got the chance to study there before.

Not holding my breath.
I haven't seen anything about them withdrawing the scholarships just because the statue is being relocated to somewhere more suitable. Would hardly be philanthropic of him if he'd included a clause to withdraw the scholarships if he wasn't immortalised in pride of place. When I attended poly in the 80's they renamed my Union building the Mandela building, I was still able to buy beer there afterwards.
firlandsfarm

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 am
When I attended poly in the 80's they renamed my Union building the Mandela building, I was still able to buy beer there afterwards.
Wow, and you were happy they named your Union building after a terrorist!
firlandsfarm

Emmson wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:23 am
This thread has gone off at the deep end again courtesy of the usual suspects. :roll:
And the usual complaint! :lol: :lol: :lol:
firlandsfarm

spreadbetting wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

Would hardly be philanthropic of him if he'd included a clause to withdraw the scholarships if he wasn't immortalised in pride of place.
Archery, please, they may not want to be associated with the man but they sure are happy to be associated with his money … It sums up the true morals of these people. With their low morality they are in no position to preach to others.

Spreadbetting, but it's perfectly OK for the BLM mob to have a 'clause' in their action that says his statue should be removed provided they can keep the money! This is my problem with LL's they never want to apply their standards upon themselves.
Archery1969

spreadbetting wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

Not holding my breath.
I haven't seen anything about them withdrawing the scholarships just because the statue is being relocated to somewhere more suitable. Would hardly be philanthropic of him if he'd included a clause to withdraw the scholarships if he wasn't immortalised in pride of place. When I attended poly in the 80's they renamed my Union building the Mandela building, I was still able to buy beer there afterwards.
Ofcourse there is probably not a clause somewhere. It was discussed yesterday on the BBC news channel. One journalist was saying that the college has wanted to remove the statue for sometime but has to walk a tightrope because they don't want to put the scholarship's or the additional funding they get in danger. One thought was mentioned that they may transfer the scholarships and additional funding to another college/university in another country whereby mob rule doesn't dictate history. His words not mine. That way the poor students wont miss out but obviously Oxford college will.
spreadbetting

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:48 am
spreadbetting wrote:
When I attended poly in the 80's they renamed my Union building the Mandela building, I was still able to buy beer there afterwards.
Wow, and you were happy they named your Union building after a terrorist!
Not sure where you got the 'happy' bit from but guess you do love to make assumptions. It certainly didn't bother me or the majority of South Africans who elected him head of state in a democratic election. Guess one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter much the same as your love of Cecil.
Last edited by spreadbetting on Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
spreadbetting

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 am
spreadbetting wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

Would hardly be philanthropic of him if he'd included a clause to withdraw the scholarships if he wasn't immortalised in pride of place.
Archery, please, they may not want to be associated with the man but they sure are happy to be associated with his money … It sums up the true morals of these people. With their low morality they are in no position to preach to others.

Spreadbetting, but it's perfectly OK for the BLM mob to have a 'clause' in their action that says his statue should be removed provided they can keep the money! This is my problem with LL's they never want to apply their standards upon themselves.

You seem to be under the impression that money earned from slavery is rightfully his. I'm guessing when you went on your shoplifting sprees you were aware if you'd got caught thieving you would have to give those stolen items back, aren't you?
I suppose there is some truth in that saying "thick as thieves".
jimibt

spreadbetting 2 firlandsfarm 0

and so ends the 3rd premier league *match*
superfrank

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am
You seem to be under the impression that money earned from slavery is rightfully his.
He earned his money from mining, not from the slave trade. Where is your evidence of his involvement in slavery?

Rhodes was a capitalist and an imperialist. That's why the left hates him.
spreadbetting

I was getting him mixed up with firlands previous insistence the people of Bristol pay back for Coulson's 'philanthropy', frank.

The college have now decided it's current position is inappropriate for an imperialist and racist so nothing you can do about it.
Last edited by spreadbetting on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superfrank

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:36 pm
I was getting him mixed up with firlands previous insistence the people of Bristol pay back for Coulson's 'philanthropy', frank.
Exactly. You want his statue removed without even knowing the reasons why.
spreadbetting

jimibt wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:52 am

and so ends the 3rd premier league *match*
Have to disallow one of those goals, Jim, schoolboy error of mixing up the 'philanthropy' of racist imperiallists with the 'philanthropy' of racist slave traders, c'est la vie.
firlandsfarm

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am
You seem to be under the impression that money earned from slavery is rightfully his. I'm guessing when you went on your shoplifting sprees you were aware if you'd got caught thieving you would have to give those stolen items back, aren't you?
I suppose there is some truth in that saying "thick as thieves".
Are you really wanting to argue that although they don't like how he got the money they are at liberty to keep it?! :shock: Really! Wouldn't that make them accessories to his 'wrong doing' … no wait I forgot, they are LL's, sorry I forgot that their standards don't apply to them.
spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:33 am
Not sure where you got the 'happy' bit from but guess you do love to make assumptions. It certainly didn't bother me or the majority of South Africans who elected him head of state in a democratic election. Guess one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter much the same as your love of Cecil.
1. The "happy" reference was as much a question as an assumption but I note you assumed it to be an assumption!
2. I particularly love your (flawed) assumption that I love making assumptions! Very ironic especially as I don't. :lol: :lol: :lol:
3. Not wishing to make an assumption but you seem to be saying that past deeds are acceptable if it doesn't bother the majority if so then where is the majority pushing the current anti-statue action? A few thousand who have nothing better to do does not a majority make out of a population of over 60 million.
4. Yes there is a very fine dividing line between terrorist and freedom fighter but not terrorist activity. Or are no suggesting that loss of life is acceptable?
5. I have no love for Cecil (another failed assumption but do keep trying, it's amusing). I'm often accused of supporting an individual by people who don't understand that a principle can be debated without regard for the person.
jimibt wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:52 am
Sorry jimibt but VAR has over-ruled your final whistle and the game went into extra time, ending 2 - 5! :)

Anyway enough on this, we are entitled to have differing views and we have differing views.
Archery1969

Apparently its not just statue's that need to come down.

"Among the institutions with a history of slavery connections are the Bank of England, high-street banks (RBS, Barclays and Lloyds), railway companies, insurance companies and even the Royal Mail. And as these organisations flourished through their use of forced labour, their owners bequeathed part of their huge wealth to some of the UK’s leading cultural institutions, including the National Gallery, the Royal Academy, the Tate, the Victoria & Albert and the British Museum."

Maybe there is an argument for burning the UK to the ground and rebuilding a great "Lets hold hands and dance around a tree" new beginning for the minority mob.

I think we should also burn down Betfair HQ as its business practice is immoral and we as individuals are not paying any income tax in the UK. I am sure most of the public, MP's and day time TV would be horrified when they find out. I might email Diane Abbott and confess all our daily sins, assuming she will understand the numbers.

:roll:

Return to “General discussion”