UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:58 pm
LA's have very limited ways to raise revenue. I don't think Xmas markets provide any revenue to the councils.
But it is true that the council's are facilitators. Without their support and permission the markets can't happen.
I still think I'm with firlandsfarm on this one. It's daft to stop it. But also it's daft that if govt reduces LA's income they should be allowed to be entreprenuerial and raise funds in other ways - but they are constrained by law from doing that.
As much as it looks like Labour councils stirring up trouble, they are responding to a govt that is determined to strangle Labour councils for political reasons.
That's democracy.
I don't know how the sums work out but I understand LCC charged something like £4.5k for a stall last year. No idea how many stalls. But it shouldn't be a matter of LCC recovering/not recovering their costs. LCC has a duty to provide facilities the enhance the enjoyment of the city for it's people. A CC carries out many services/events where they don't expect their costs to be directly recouped. For example the Mayor's all expenses paid 'fact-finding' mission to Germany!
firlandsfarm

I see there was a meeting of the self appointed Professors of Hindsight Pandemic Management outside the Covid enquiry again. I don't know why any student should pay all the fees, time out and study/exam stress when all they need to do is soak up a bit of social media hindsight.
greenmark

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:55 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:58 pm
LA's have very limited ways to raise revenue. I don't think Xmas markets provide any revenue to the councils.
But it is true that the council's are facilitators. Without their support and permission the markets can't happen.
I still think I'm with firlandsfarm on this one. It's daft to stop it. But also it's daft that if govt reduces LA's income they should be allowed to be entreprenuerial and raise funds in other ways - but they are constrained by law from doing that.
As much as it looks like Labour councils stirring up trouble, they are responding to a govt that is determined to strangle Labour councils for political reasons.
That's democracy.
I don't know how the sums work out but I understand LCC charged something like £4.5k for a stall last year. No idea how many stalls. But it shouldn't be a matter of LCC recovering/not recovering their costs. LCC has a duty to provide facilities the enhance the enjoyment of the city for it's people. A CC carries out many services/events where they don't expect their costs to be directly recouped. For example the Mayor's all expenses paid 'fact-finding' mission to Germany!
I agree these events are about growing your community. Council's are hugely important in this process. I'm not convinced Labour are any good at it. But I'm also not convinced Tories won't cede prime spots to their mates. Such is the distrust between left and right.
How I wish for local or central politicians that only focus on the best solution. That'd be cool wouldn't it? Right and left converging to make stuff better for everyone.
Oh dear, gone all idealist again. Sorry Kai. :-)
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:32 pm
I agree these events are about growing your community. Council's are hugely important in this process. I'm not convinced Labour are any good at it. But I'm also not convinced Tories won't cede prime spots to their mates. Such is the distrust between left and right.
How I wish for local or central politicians that only focus on the best solution. That'd be cool wouldn't it? Right and left converging to make stuff better for everyone.
Oh dear, gone all idealist again. Sorry Kai. :-)
There is a trailer for GB News/Dewbs & Co. where Peter Hitchens comments "what we need in this country is two new political parties" ... I think he is right but it cannot happen because one will be left of centre and the other right of centre . They may call them 'Another New Labour' and 'New Conservatives'. :)
Michael5482

Boris "I don't recall" Johnson, he's incapable of telling the truth because all he's interested in is himself and how it'll effect his reputation. A complete clueless, self centered, incompetent blithering idiot, how on earth did this clown end up being PM.
firlandsfarm

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:27 pm
Boris "I don't recall" Johnson, he's incapable of telling the truth because all he's interested in is himself and how it'll effect his reputation. A complete clueless, self centered, incompetent blithering idiot, how on earth did this clown end up being PM.
Maybe because those attributes don't attach to him! :)
greenmark

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:27 pm
Sorry that just made me chuckle with it's rhythm and vehemence. I've been watching the enquiry coverage all day. I think he was nearly close to tears at one point. Was this genuine or crocodile tears. History will tell.
Archangel

I know he always hated Johnson but it's still funny 😁

https://youtu.be/UhLgegPTwSQ?si=5RzpzuSjB9b6pAWe
Naffman

A lot of talk from gamblers who follow UK politics closely that Sunak could be gone soon...100/30 with William Hill's, similar with exchanges.
Michael5482

immigration Minister Robert Jenrick resigns over Rwanda bill. Tory's divided and falling apart, they'll be after Sunak next.

https://news.sky.com/story/robert-jenri ... r-13024262
Derek27

Robert Jenrick, Immigration Minister is said to be resigning in the light of Sunak's refusal to pull out of European human rights obligations. :D
Naffman

WH now 3's, Exchange now lower, sounding like Sunak's head is on the chopping block.
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:15 pm
WH now 3's, Exchange now lower, sounding like Sunak's head is on the chopping block.
Braverman gave him a bit of a kicking in parliament today. Can't imagine why she or anyone else would want to lead the party in opposition for the next 4-5 years.
Archangel

These days resigning seems to be a career move in the Tory party
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:19 pm
Naffman wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:15 pm
Braverman gave him a bit of a kicking in parliament today. Can't imagine why she or anyone else would want to lead the party in opposition for the next 4-5 years.
Word on the grapevine is most won't want it but Mordaunt probably does.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”