RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

I just don't get supermarkets playing Santa Claus Is Coming To Town on the 18th of November!
firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:18 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:20 am
Could someone please explain.
Not an activist but I always thought they were using desperate tactics to raise awareness for their cause? And to inspire others to join up etc

It's not always just young people, there's a 71 year old woman there and a few others of similar age apparently
Sorry Kai, I was looking for an explanation why they were found not guilty! If you have a chisel in one hand and a hammer in the other hand and you intentionally hold the chisel to a glass window and with the other hand intentionally hit it with the hammer and the glass instantly smashes how that not 'damage' and as it was intentional how is it not 'criminal'? These people have got away with causing £500k of damage, why should they not do so again and again and again.
Kai

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:51 am
Kai wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:18 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:20 am
Could someone please explain.
Not an activist but I always thought they were using desperate tactics to raise awareness for their cause? And to inspire others to join up etc

It's not always just young people, there's a 71 year old woman there and a few others of similar age apparently
Sorry Kai, I was looking for an explanation why they were found not guilty! If you have a chisel in one hand and a hammer in the other hand and you intentionally hold the chisel to a glass window and with the other hand intentionally hit it with the hammer and the glass instantly smashes how that not 'damage' and as it was intentional how is it not 'criminal'? These people have got away with causing £500k of damage, why should they not do so again and again and again.
Ah okay, my bad, must have read it wrong.

Fully agree they should be prosecuted, can't be making such exceptions for activists or they'll just abuse it. You saw what rioters in the US got away it recently.
greenmark

The BBC has gone mad. Reporting a 2.7 magnitude "earthquake" around Cornwall that shook ornaments. FFS have you no sensitivity for what is happening around the world?
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:02 pm
The BBC has gone mad. Reporting a 2.7 magnitude "earthquake" around Cornwall that shook ornaments. FFS have you no sensitivity for what is happening around the world?
It's the rarity of seismic events over here that make it newsworthy, rather than the damage it causes.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:36 pm
greenmark wrote:
It's the rarity of seismic events over here that make it newsworthy, rather than the damage it causes.
Exactly. We are not the center of the world. 2.7 on the richter scale is beyond feeble.It's embarassing that the BBC thinks this is worth reporting.
How many stories around Gaza-Israel, Ukraine,Yemen, global starvation, climate change have been pushed into the background for the reporting (remotely by halfwits) of a slight tremor. Sheesh! I despair!!!
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:52 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Exactly. We are not the center of the world. 2.7 on the richter scale is beyond feeble.It's embarassing that the BBC thinks this is worth reporting.
How many stories around Gaza-Israel, Ukraine,Yemen, global starvation, climate change have been pushed into the background for the reporting (remotely by halfwits) of a slight tremor. Sheesh! I despair!!!
I think I'm right in saying an increment of 1 in the Richter Scale is actually an increase of 10 in magnitude/power so an earthquake of 6.7 on the Richter Scale is actually 10,000 times more powerful than one of 2.7 but don't tell the BBC and spoil their party!
greenmark

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:06 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I think I'm right in saying an increment of 1 in the Richter Scale is actually an increase of 10 in magnitude/power so an earthquake of 6.7 on the Richter Scale is actually 10,000 times more powerful than one of 2.7 but don't tell the BBC and spoil their party!
I've experienced 2 tremors. Sure enough, they are scary for a few seconds. The building you're in shuddering under your feet is disconcerting or being woken by a sound that is difficullt to describe, not an explosion but a really loud and deep thud.
But they were 4ish on th richter scale and were nothing. A few chimney stacks came down, but they were teetering on the brink anyway.
As I said it's embarassing that this story should have popped up on the BBC homepage.
I increasingly believe what appears on the BBC homepage is dictated by clicks. Where is the editorial filtering?
jimibt

greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:02 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
greenmark wrote:

I've experienced 2 tremors. Sure enough, they are scary for a few seconds. The building you're in shuddering under your feet is disconcerting or being woken by a sound that is difficullt to describe, not an explosion but a really loud and deep thud.
But they were 4ish on th richter scale and were nothing. A few chimney stacks came down, but they were teetering on the brink anyway.
As I said it's embarassing that this story should have popped up on the BBC homepage.
I increasingly believe what appears on the BBC homepage is dictated by clicks. Where is the editorial filtering?
unless you already watch, my 2 recommendations for news are Aljazeera and Novara media.. it's always nice to get an alternate viewpoint
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
firlandsfarm wrote:
greenmark wrote:

I've experience two earthquakes (yes, technically they are earthquakes), one, in the nineties, measured 3.6. Whatever happens in the world there's always room for lighter news.

I couldn't find the sketch where Smith and Jones were reading the news, but Jones gave the news summary of three major events where tens of thousands of people died, and Mel Smith finished with, "but don't worry, because in Wandsworth there's a poodle that can tap dance". :mrgreen:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:45 pm
greenmark wrote:
firlandsfarm wrote:

I've experience two earthquakes (yes, technically they are earthquakes), one, in the nineties, measured 3.6. Whatever happens in the world there's always room for lighter news.

I couldn't find the sketch where Smith and Jones were reading the news, but Jones gave the news summary of three major events where tens of thousands of people died, and Mel Smith finished with, "but don't worry, because in Wandsworth there's a poodle that can tap dance". :mrgreen:
:lol:
Derek27

I've just purchased some responsible eggs!

Does that make me responsible or do you become responsible after eating them?
Derek27

Idiots who press the button at pelican crossings when only one car is coming!

The car whizzes by, the idiot crosses and later ten vehicles have to stop for nothing!
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:37 pm
Idiots who press the button at pelican crossings when only one car is coming!

The car whizzes by, the idiot crosses and later ten vehicles have to stop for nothing!
Ahh, but that would require people to take responsibility and decisions on their own safety for themselves!
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:23 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:11 pm
I bought some cheap bog roll, can't remember where I got it. It's as abrasive as sandpaper and like wiping your arse with postage stamps!
This is the second consecutive Sunday teatime you've posted something about your arse. :roll: What's happened to civilised society? And tbh nobody apart from a Grinder hookup is interested in your arse anyway!
Now Betfair's doing it. :mrgreen:

Screenshot 2023-11-23 185526.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”