Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Derek27

psychoff wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:31 pm
Postponed...
Postponed but Betfair doesn't know it. Markets opened and bots active but all bets should be void.
MobiusGrey

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:40 pm

Nothing daft about that question. :) If you've got a free bet of £20 on the under market and the price is 1.1, you can pocket almost £20, your you can lay the profit away for a £200 free bet on overs. A goal, depending on the stage of the match, could push the price up to 1.5. That would give you a free bet of £100 on the unders or a green of £50. Two goals in the second half, with 20 minutes to go could push the price above 2.0.

That's what I love about o/u markets. You've got options, can switch sides, start trading with more of the profit you've built up and less of your hard cash, etc. :D
Aaaahh ok this makes perfect sense I think, definitely something I'd not considered and a nice angle. Am I missing something though with the first part, creating the free bet, have you ever been caught out by the market being suspended and a goal being scored whilst trying to create the free bet in the first place and if so does this impact heavily on any P&L over time?
footysystems

Are bets void here ? I am in for a fair chunk
footysystems

Derek27 wrote:
MobiusGrey wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:05 pm

I hadn't noticed. I'm an over/under man and they closed those markets. I generally build up free bets on a couple of under markets, switch the free bet to overs when the price is low enough and wait for a goal.
Forgive me for asking probably a stupid question but if you've taken the time and risk to build up a free bet why wouldn't you just green this up and pocket it rather than then having a punt in a different market? Or is it just to make what could be a boring match into something more interesting?
Nothing daft about that question. :) If you've got a free bet of £20 on the under market and the price is 1.1, you can pocket almost £20, your you can lay the profit away for a £200 free bet on overs. A goal, depending on the stage of the match, could push the price up to 1.5. That would give you a free bet of £100 on the unders or a green of £67. Two goals in the second half, with 20 minutes to go could push the price above 2.0.

That's what I love about o/u markets. You've got options, can switch sides, start trading with more of the profit you've built up and less of your hard cash, etc. :D
Thanks Derek you give me an idea there light bulb 💡 moment 👍
Derek27

MobiusGrey wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:46 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Nothing daft about that question. :) If you've got a free bet of £20 on the under market and the price is 1.1, you can pocket almost £20, your you can lay the profit away for a £200 free bet on overs. A goal, depending on the stage of the match, could push the price up to 1.5. That would give you a free bet of £100 on the unders or a green of £50. Two goals in the second half, with 20 minutes to go could push the price above 2.0.

Aaaahh ok this makes perfect sense I think, definitely something I'd not considered and a nice angle. Am I missing something though with the first part, creating the free bet, have you ever been caught out by the market being suspended and a goal being scored whilst trying to create the free bet in the first place and if so does this impact heavily on any P&L over time?
Yes, loads of times, just like a punter gets caught out when the horse he backs loses. ;)

I've been trading football for just over a year and still developing my football trading but I've started getting better with my in and out manoeuvres (excuse the pun), judging when the market's likely to slide or when it will hold for a while due to aggressive play. And like many horse racing traders who are averse to losses, I've had to be bolder about throwing away a couple of ticks rather than sitting on it. As you know anything can happen in football, goals get scored when you least expect them. If you haven't got much to gain on the unders I think it's worth considering chucking it on the overs if there's enough time for a goal.
Derek27

footysystems wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:49 pm
My understanding is that if a goal was scored the o/u 0.5 market would be settled, all others including match odds are void as the match hasn't been completed.
footysystems

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:01 pm
footysystems wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:49 pm
My understanding is that if a goal was scored the o/u 0.5 market would be settled, all others including match odds are void as the match hasn't been completed.
Thanks Derek that's my understanding 👍
Derek27

footysystems wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm
Derek27 wrote:
MobiusGrey wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 pm

Forgive me for asking probably a stupid question but if you've taken the time and risk to build up a free bet why wouldn't you just green this up and pocket it rather than then having a punt in a different market? Or is it just to make what could be a boring match into something more interesting?
Nothing daft about that question. :) If you've got a free bet of £20 on the under market and the price is 1.1, you can pocket almost £20, your you can lay the profit away for a £200 free bet on overs. A goal, depending on the stage of the match, could push the price up to 1.5. That would give you a free bet of £100 on the unders or a green of £67. Two goals in the second half, with 20 minutes to go could push the price above 2.0.

No problem. I'm still working on automation for the 2.5 market along those lines whenever I'm not manually trading.
psychoff

Nıothing to void. It will be continued tomorrow (probably) from the second half and all bets should stay.
Derek27

psychoff wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:05 pm
Nıothing to void. It will be continued tomorrow (probably) from the second half and all bets should stay.
Thanks Psychoff. :)
MobiusGrey

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:59 pm

Yes, loads of times, just like a punter gets caught out when the horse he backs loses. ;)

I've been trading football for just over a year and still developing my football trading but I've started getting better with my in and out manoeuvres (excuse the pun), judging when the market's likely to slide or when it will hold for a while due to aggressive play. And like many horse racing traders who are averse to losses, I've had to be bolder about throwing away a couple of ticks rather than sitting on it. As you know anything can happen in football, goals get scored when you least expect them. If you haven't got much to gain on the unders I think it's worth considering chucking it on the overs if there's enough time for a goal.
Thanks Derek, some really useful stuff there in just a couple of posts
footysystems

psychoff wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:05 pm
Thanks good to know
weemac

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:04 pm
footysystems wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

No problem. I'm still working on automation for the 2.5 market along those lines whenever I'm not manually trading.
Are you more 'feel based' on what you're seeing happening in the match, or do stats play a part?
Derek27

weemac wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:04 pm
footysystems wrote:

Are you more 'feel based' on what you're seeing happening in the match, or do stats play a part?
No, I'm pretty ignorant about football (my soccer Poisson database hasn't been much help, but it was only a toy), I just get a feel for the likelihood of goals and the effective odds you'd be getting if a goal or two go in.
Derek27

It looks like the market's closed and all bets voided. SofaScore lists the match as abandoned. Unlucky footysystems.

Return to “Football trading”