The beer garden

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:50 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:50 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:34 pm

Hallelujah! a fellow linguistic pedant. I see so much of sloppy language online (on here). Although on here that's tempered by the wisdom and wit. And I understand the urge to communicate often overrides our own personal ideals for our native language. My first boss (who I have enormous respect for) often was grammatically incorrect, but he was a compelling communicator. Go figure. Err! I mean, work out that conundrum :-)
don't think anyone should feel any embarrassment about not being able to spell or add up. They're just skills you either have or you don't.
What a defeatist and lazy attitude! The three 'R's, (reading, writing and 'rithmetic) are probably the most important thing you must learn at school. Or they certainly used to be at my old grammar, when I did O' levels! If you can't 'spell or add up' due to bunking classes to 'sit on the bog and read a newspaper', then that is indeed shameful, as it's your own lazy fault!

That said, it's never too late to learn, though discipline is needed; something so often lacking in today's Britain, sadly. Standards of literacy, numeracy and decorum aren't what they used to be in old Blighty, more's the pity.

While I'm on my soapbox, I'll mention 'there', 'their' and 'they're'. There are so many people, including hereabouts, that don't know the difference and evidently can't be bothered to learn. And don't even start me on 'your' / 'you're' or the bastardisation of Queen's English by the Americans!

CS
This thread is for pissheads only. ;)

And I never understood how 3 'R's could ever stand for reading, writing and arithmetic!

I only sat on a toilet seat and read the Sporting Life if I was bucking off a 40-minute lesson. Anything more than that, I'd go to my local park/woodland and sit on a bench I hadn't previously set fire to. But the fact that I'm earning a living trading whilst, sadly, many graduates struggle to find work and in turn, many people in work are being furloughed is proof that learning about horse racing was time well invested. On top of that, a lot of top jockeys and trainers would have done the same. Richard Pitman bucked off school and went to Presbury Hill to watch the Cheltenham Festival every year.

The point I was making in the part of my post that you quoted was that, I've known people with excellent literacy skills who can't add up and vice versa. The ability to add up is something we take for granted but some people don't have the aptitude and it's not necessarily intelligence related. Likewise with spelling.

I disagree that it's never too late to learn. I used to work with people who have learning difficulties and special needs, adults and children. They usually spend most of their time in day centres learning skills and being educated in some way. But I found it quite a refreshing change when I was at a centre for over fifties that was more focused on leisure. They took the view that there's only so much of your life to spend learning - some of it has to be spent living. :)
Derek27

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:53 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:38 pm
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:29 pm
Halfway through a shed load of Heineken.

Wedding Anniversary weekend. No pubs open.

Reminiscing with the wife of our MD nights! 😉

Happy Weekend people!
Bought a 15-pack of Heineken but won't need it unless the Carlsburg Export runs out. I've noticed Stella Artois has mysteriously dropped to 4.6%. Are they watering it down?? :lol:

Enjoy your wedding anniversary. :)
Cheers my man.

As for Stella, not drank that since I was based in Hamworthy, Poole. When we owned Poole Quay for the evening! Good times.
Just as well I bought that pack of Heineken - I need them now!

Makes you think! An organization like the police can lose computer records of 10,000 or whatever criminals because they haven't bothered to back up their data whereas pissheads like us are organised enough to buy cans of beer as a backup. :lol:
beermonsterman

I'm twisted as usual :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Cant find my tin foil hat anywhere :roll: Work in the mornin lol 8-)
beermonsterman

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:44 am
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:53 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:38 pm

Bought a 15-pack of Heineken but won't need it unless the Carlsburg Export runs out. I've noticed Stella Artois has mysteriously dropped to 4.6%. Are they watering it down?? :lol:

Enjoy your wedding anniversary. :)
Cheers my man.

As for Stella, not drank that since I was based in Hamworthy, Poole. When we owned Poole Quay for the evening! Good times.
Just as well I bought that pack of Heineken - I need them now!

Makes you think! An organization like the police can lose computer records of 10,000 or whatever criminals because they haven't bothered to back up their data whereas pissheads like us are organised enough to buy cans of beer as a backup. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
invisiblelayer

Crazyskier wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Hallelujah! a fellow linguistic pedant. I see so much of sloppy language online (on here). Although on here that's tempered by the wisdom and wit. And I understand the urge to communicate often overrides our own personal ideals for our native language. My first boss (who I have enormous respect for) often was grammatically incorrect, but he was a compelling communicator. Go figure. Err! I mean, work out that conundrum :-)
don't think anyone should feel any embarrassment about not being able to spell or add up. They're just skills you either have or you don't.
What a defeatist and lazy attitude! The three 'R's, (reading, writing and 'rithmetic) are probably the most important thing you must learn at school. Or they certainly used to be at my old grammar, when I did O' levels! If you can't 'spell or add up' due to bunking classes to 'sit on the bog and read a newspaper', then that is indeed shameful, as it's your own lazy fault!

That said, it's never too late to learn, though discipline is needed; something so often lacking in today's Britain, sadly. Standards of literacy, numeracy and decorum aren't what they used to be in old Blighty, more's the pity.

While I'm on my soapbox, I'll mention 'there', 'their' and 'they're'. There are so many people, including hereabouts, that don't know the difference and evidently can't be bothered to learn. And don't even start me on 'your' / 'you're' or the bastardisation of Queen's English by the Americans!

CS
What a barrel of laughs you'd be in a beer garden :roll:
jimibt

invisiblelayer wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:36 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

CS
add to that a few advocaat and the ritual glass of sherry -omg!!! :mrgreen:
beermonsterman

I thing someone has Hadd on tooo maney lmfao 🤣
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:39 pm
invisiblelayer wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:36 pm
Crazyskier wrote:

CS
add to that a few advocaat and the ritual glass of sherry -omg!!! :mrgreen:
...and the holy bible. ;)
The Silk Run

Shhhhhhh. Reverend CS will be upset, you sinners, you :lol:
greenmark

My experience of booze is lovely people basically corrupting me with new flavours. Vodka Martini, Bellinini's, Kir Royale, Weiss beer. Without those lovely people it's less than nothing.
beermonsterman

Crazyskier wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

CS
I never went to school hanging around the park getting pissed and stoned seemed more fun at the time :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regret it now though
Crazyskier

beermonsterman wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:44 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

CS
I never went to school hanging around the park getting pissed and stoned seemed more fun at the time :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regret it now though
Indeed. They say youth is wasted on the young... Life seems to be split into 3 stages: Learning, Earning and Yearning - for all the things you didn't achieve in life.

CS
Derek27

Drinking time! :D

Happy St. Patrick's day to all the Irish members and lurkers. :)
beermonsterman

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Armen to that I'm already twisted :lol:
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Cheers Derek

I've cracked open a bottle of Poitín I've been saving for a special occasion for over a year. :D

Return to “Chill Out Area”