EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
fortfield

to75ne wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:06 pm
Dallas wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Deal between the EU and BoJo has been done - just the DUP won't support it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50079385
seem to be very similar to may's which johnson voted against.
Johnson voted for the Maybots surrender treaty on the 3rd attempt , as did Raab and Mogg, showing they were more concerned for their own and the Tories Party future than to honour democracy and the referendum result. And they havent changed since, which is why as you rightly say its a rehash of the old deal.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:35 pm
But they should make for great trading markets! :lol:
It's been a nervous 3yrs. I've always planned to draw a little from my pension fund next week (55, yeah great timing :roll: ) and 30yrs of savings have been in jeopardy. So when the ref result was announced I started managing it myself, and I've made 30% in 40 months :) I may have missed my calling; but if you think £1,000 on a horse is a nail-biter then have a go at this game ! It's deep into stoppage time now and I wish the ref would blow the whistle before there's another own goal :?
Screenshot_13.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

I don't know what you financial plans are but you can pass on a pension if a dodgy penalty occurs in extra time. That may give a little more time. But as age advances I realise that I may put more effort into spending plans and a few crazy things.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:24 pm
I don't know what you financial plans are but you can pass on a pension if a dodgy penalty occurs in extra time. That may give a little more time. But as age advances I realise that I may put more effort into spending plans and a few crazy things.
It's mostly going to stay where it is, I'm only planning a small dip into it for a project, or maybe a treat or two for getting this far :)
Biggest priority is moving it to something that can be fully bequeath as it's mainly old ex-work DC funds. My old man had a serious stroke at 55, was fit as a butcher's dog, and it just makes you mindful of what if, yet still needing to prepare for what if not. 1st world problem really, I've had worse.
Jukebox

Euler wrote:
LOL
Blow the pension BEFORE the ref blows the whistle!
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:51 pm
Euler wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:35 pm
But they should make for great trading markets! :lol:
It's been a nervous 3yrs. I've always planned to draw a little from my pension fund next week (55, yeah great timing :roll: ) and 30yrs of savings have been in jeopardy. So when the ref result was announced I started managing it myself, and I've made 30% in 40 months :) I may have missed my calling; but if you think £1,000 on a horse is a nail-biter then have a go at this game ! It's deep into stoppage time now and I wish the ref would blow the whistle before there's another own goal :?
Screenshot_13.png
Thats a stellar return. My tupenneth is that No Deal is the most likely outcome of all this, but not any time soon.
If it happened it would be a short-term catastrophe for people with long term investments who are looking to drawdown soon.
ShaunWhite

You might be right greenmark. I didn't do anything special really, just layed the UK. Relegation to a lower league was never going to be pretty.

On a trading note there's been some classic overreactions in the political markets. Midday news was all about the deal and the afternoon news has been all about the fact nobody is going to vote for it. 2.2 - > odds on - > 2.2 again. In, flip, out.
to75ne

fortfield wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 pm
to75ne wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:06 pm
Dallas wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Deal between the EU and BoJo has been done - just the DUP won't support it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50079385
seem to be very similar to may's which johnson voted against.
Johnson voted for the Maybots surrender treaty on the 3rd attempt , as did Raab and Mogg, showing they were more concerned for their own and the Tories Party future than to honour democracy and the referendum result. And they havent changed since, which is why as you rightly say its a rehash of the old deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_xToeelN_c
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:08 pm
You might be right greenmark. I didn't do anything special really, just layed the UK. Relegation to a lower league was never going to be pretty.

On a trading note there's been some classic overreactions in the political markets. Midday news was all about the deal and the afternoon news has been all about the fact nobody is going to vote for it. 2.2 - > odds on - > 2.2 again. In, flip, out.
Perhaps being an Advocate psychometric personility is never going to work for trading. I want everything to be right, everyone to be happy and have opportunity to excel. Maybe have to accept thats not the real world. Maybe contrarian is the way to go.
wearthefoxhat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:48 pm
Euler wrote:
It's mostly going to stay where it is, I'm only planning a small dip into it for a project, or maybe a treat or two for getting this far :)
Biggest priority is moving it to something that can be fully bequeath , as it's mainly old ex-work DC funds. My old man had a serious stroke at 55, was fit as a butcher's dog, and it just makes you mindful of what if, yet still needing to prepare for what if not. 1st world problem really, I've had worse.
Shaun, sorry to hear about your dad.

I agree about looking at taking an early break/semi-retirement. I did that 3 years ago too. Anything can happen before I hit 67, want to enjoy my own resource (time), and no regrets for sure.

I might consider a stress free/chilled P.T. job in the future, I've already amassed the full 35 years NI Contributions, so it would be a personal decision. I enjoy travelling when playing poker, so some extension of that. ie: Poker Dealer
Naffman

'Yes' now the clear favourite
ShaunWhite

(For foxhat, off topic : Thanks for the sympathy, but that stroke was about 30+yrs ago and he passed away 4yrs ago. It's my turn to be that age now so history repeating is the niggling concern.

I totally understand the need for a less stressy life, that's why I changed my focus to trading once I turned 50. Barring issues with eyesight or losing my marbles, trading is something you can do as long your mouse hand still works. Get out there and live a little while you can, then sit on your bum pressing buttons when you can't. Those NI contributions are something people tend to let slip once they leave a paye job but well worth it, I'm on 34 so almost there.)
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaunWhite

Naffman wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:36 pm
'Yes' now the clear favourite
Meaningful vote passing is yes, leaving by Halloween is no.
These markets have been great and I hope it never ends :mrgreen:
Euler

Looking forward to watching these markets tomorrow.
greenmark

NI Unionists being betrayed isn't acceptable. I don't agree that the UK's invasion of Ireland was acceptable. But we are at an important moment and it seems Johnson's deal sacrifices NI. In fact its May's deal with NI as the cost. Its a big push towards a united ireland.
Thats horrible for me, next we'll have a hard border with Scotland and Wales. Its all nationalist nonsense!

Return to “Political betting & arguing”