Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Derek27

greenmark

Kai wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:11 pm
Kai wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 pm
Bit of a surreal day, I went on a few fan forums to hear what fans had to say about Ole's sacking. They all said "thanks for everything Ole" or "thanks for the memories" etc.

Then I went to the United fan forum and they were saying the same things!
Do you mean United fans have affection for Ole still and opposing fans are grateful for how long Utd let him "mismanage"?
I'm saying that memes have become so powerful that Ole's career may never recover, you can't help but feel for the guy, he was put in an impossible position. It must be flipping brutal to hear that chant from rival fans every game, heard it in the Liverpool-Arsenal match too. How can your players believe in you when you're apparently the biggest joke around. It's a constant uphill battle.

Kai Havertz was terrified of becoming the next meme when he was about to take the winning penalty in the CL final. The internet is savage.
I do feel for him. He's a decent guy. His status as a Champions League winning striker is cemented in history.
I believe he wanted success at Utd more for the club than himself.
Perhaps he's just too nice to succeed in the cauldron of EPL management.
But I would also suggest Maguire should spend more time on being the best captain/defender he can be, rather than twittering.
Quite why Utd think Carrick is a good choice now is beyond me.
Someone on the BBC live chat summed that up for me. "Carrick is part of the problem, not the solution".
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:43 pm
Kai wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:11 pm

Do you mean United fans have affection for Ole still and opposing fans are grateful for how long Utd let him "mismanage"?
I'm saying that memes have become so powerful that Ole's career may never recover, you can't help but feel for the guy, he was put in an impossible position. It must be flipping brutal to hear that chant from rival fans every game, heard it in the Liverpool-Arsenal match too. How can your players believe in you when you're apparently the biggest joke around. It's a constant uphill battle.

Kai Havertz was terrified of becoming the next meme when he was about to take the winning penalty in the CL final. The internet is savage.
I do feel for him. He's a decent guy. His status as a Champions League winning striker is cemented in history.
I believe he wanted success at Utd more for the club than himself.
Perhaps he's just too nice to succeed in the cauldron of EPL management.
But I would also suggest Maguire should spend more time on being the best captain/defender he can be, rather than twittering.
Quite why Utd think Carrick is a good choice now is beyond me.
Someone on the BBC live chat summed that up for me. "Carrick is part of the problem, not the solution".

He must be a hell of a nice guy as none of his ex teammates seem willing to lay the blame at his feet.

Peter Schmeichel today saying he shouldn't have been sacked because given more time he could have turned it around :|

Think its safe to say he'd lost the dressing room so not sure what Utd games these ex players have been watching
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:29 am
He must be a hell of a nice guy as none of his ex teammates seem willing to lay the blame at his feet.
Well they've all collectively kept him in the job for 3 years. Even SAF on the board didn't want to twist the knife. But Joel Glazer and co clearly don't care about winning so they don't have to be ruthless or have an actual plan, they're just happy to endlessly appease the fans and make decisions only when it's dead obvious to not risk another fan backlash.

Hodgson barely lasted until his first Xmas at Liverpool. Chelsea ruthlessly sacked one of their biggest legends in Lampard. Go with sentiment over logic and you'll be left behind in the dust in today's fast-moving competitive football. Like Liverpool taking the wrong turn with Souness and not adapting to modern football fast enough, it could be a while before United wins again.

Mismanaging such riches and such top players is an absolute travesty.
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Think its safe to say he'd lost the dressing room so not sure what Utd games these ex players have been watching

The solution seems simple enough Pat, let Gary Neville have a crack! If Ole had 3 seasons, why can't Gary have until summer at least??
Derek27

Zinedine Zidane doesn't think his English is good enough to manage over here. It's never been a problem for English managers going overseas. :)
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 am
Zinedine Zidane doesn't think his English is good enough to manage over here. It's never been a problem for English managers going overseas. :)
Or the English managers staying put
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:35 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 am
Or the English managers staying put
When Ron Atkinson was asked by a reporter if language was a problem after being sacked by Madrid, he said no, they were beginning to learn English. :)
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:20 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Well they've all collectively kept him in the job for 3 years. Even SAF on the board didn't want to twist the knife. But Joel Glazer and co clearly don't care about winning so they don't have to be ruthless or have an actual plan, they're just happy to endlessly appease the fans and make decisions only when it's dead obvious to not risk another fan backlash.

Hodgson barely lasted until his first Xmas at Liverpool. Chelsea ruthlessly sacked one of their biggest legends in Lampard. Go with sentiment over logic and you'll be left behind in the dust in today's fast-moving competitive football. Like Liverpool taking the wrong turn with Souness and not adapting to modern football fast enough, it could be a while before United wins again.

The same Ferguson who recommended Moyes 'The Chosen One' :)

Hodgson had lost the fans big time before he got the boot and I think Solskjaer has been saved from the humiliation of 70,000 Utd fans shouting 'You don't know what you're doing'.

Onwards and upwards for Utd fans from here. They have Michael Carrick in charge and Wayne Rooney has said he'd be interested in the job!
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:32 pm
Kai wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:20 am
Trader Pat wrote:

The same Ferguson who recommended Moyes 'The Chosen One' :)

Hodgson had lost the fans big time before he got the boot and I think Solskjaer has been saved from the humiliation of 70,000 Utd fans shouting 'You don't know what you're doing'.

Onwards and upwards for Utd fans from here. They have Michael Carrick in charge and Wayne Rooney has said he'd be interested in the job!
Rooney and Carrick. Superb. Brilliant. :-)
I'm LFC but not enjoying MUFC's tribulations.
For me, Poch is the man.
Brendan would be a colossal gamble with the fanbase. Although, imagine this Utd squad playing high-energy, one or two touch footy. It could be sensational. And there's the rub. I don't think this Utd squad can do that.
But what do I know?
I was musing on who could fit at Utd, and I came up with Ancelotti as the perfect fit. So where is he now? Oh..... ah ....ok!
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:44 am
Trader Pat wrote:

The solution seems simple enough Pat, let Gary Neville have a crack! If Ole had 3 seasons, why can't Gary have until summer at least??

GNs ego couldn't withstand another Valencia style having his arse handed to him period by stepping into the cauldron of actually managing instead of being a Sky Sports "Premier league Manager"
Realrocknrolla

When you feel a Ronaldo goal coming and you lay the draw.

🧠😉🤖🤑👏⚽️
Euler

Amazing player really. Always pulls something out of the bag.

Carrick in! Let's replace one ex-player with another!
greenmark

Beat Villareal. So just Chelsea and Arsenal in the EPL next. Get something out of those and Carrick could survive until Poch rocks up at the season's end.
Realrocknrolla

greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:50 pm
Beat Villareal. So just Chelsea and Arsenal in the EPL next. Get something out of those and Carrick could survive until Poch rocks up at the season's end.
Hopefully not against the Gooners 😬😉

Return to “Football trading”