Next Tory Leader & May's Exit Date (2019)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
ruthlessimon

Hunt 2nd fav
Dallas

ruthlessimon wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 pm
Hunt 2nd fav
Market didn't like Rory's performance, touched 10s just after the 2nd round results now 3hrs later and after the TV debate right out to 20s
- and killed my bit of profit :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archangel

That debate was dreadful. Rory is the only one that seems remotely likeable to me
ruthlessimon

Dallas wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm
Market didn't like Rory's performance
His stool antics have cost ya!

I missed this one :lol:

superfrank

Tim Stanley not impressed...
So, people who aren't Tory members and have no intention of voting Tory are asking the questions in an election that's decided, until the final round, exclusively by Tory MPs.
If it was a Labour leadership debate I couldn't imagine them having UKIP questioners.

Rob Wilson in the Telegraph on Rory...
It's fair to say that Stewart doesn't have a particularly solid support base amongst mainstream Conservatives. But then again Rory isn't their Messiah, he's the man of the moment for the chattering classes and arch-Remainers attracted to his promise of a soft Brexit. He is especially popular with people who are not Conservatives and are unlikely to vote for the Party at the next election - Rory or no Rory.
Dallas

ruthlessimon wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 pm
Dallas wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm
Market didn't like Rory's performance
His stool antics have cost ya!

I missed this one :lol:

Y, I' took the safe option and just dumped it, not quite sure why he drifted the way he has.

The whole debate was a bit of a farce but didn't see how he came off worse than the others.
Naffman

Stewart came across as a complete fool - everything in his brain is connected to Brexit, he probably blames Brexit if he doesn't have his morning crap
superfrank

Dallas wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:27 pm
The whole debate was a bit of a farce but didn't see how he came off worse than the others.
I think to some degree the market has been taken in by the positive media coverage of him (which won't have swayed Tory members or most Tory MPs imho).

May has also backed him - the kiss of death to anything!
Archangel

I wanted Stewart because i think he's the candidate who would do least damage to the UK and internationally implementing Brexit but if he's not going to make the last two the spiteful part of me which enjoys watching characters like Basil Fawlty and David Brent embarrassingly self implode desperately wants BoJo to win.

If the Torys are truly determined to leave on a no deal part of me hopes BoJo makes it the biggest clusterfcuk in history.
greenmark

Wow, Johnson has been pruned and titified!
greenmark

Just watching this back and Rory Stewart is being shut down all the time.
greenmark

If Johson wins on that performance we deserve to go to hell in a hand cart!
Archangel

Boris will be made PM, head to Brussels, hit a wall, they will call his bluff and he will come back with his tail between his legs. Cue ERG members "Boris was never fully Brexit" and "Sure he wrote two columns about which side to back in the ref" and we revisit all this again in six months time.
wearthefoxhat

Reckon there could be a sting in the tail as we approach Halloween and are "going-a-souling"....WTF :D

Halloween.PNG

Could Article 50 be revoked after all? Watching the "debate" the populace asked the obvious questions that any low level MP should easily be prepared for. None of them came across as empathetic, more so hmmm-pathetic, so it would be no surprise to see Parliament finally capitulate as the No-Deal becomes the only option left.

This would probably lead to a general election, and conversely, the conservatives would garner more support for the revocation than they have now! (although still an overall defeat)

So I may go for a L2B on No in the following market, as the time ticks on.

revoke.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superfrank

Telegraph
Rory Stewart has said he is in talks with Michael Gove about combining forces to defeat Boris Johnson.

Put together the pair would be left with the support of 78 MPs - almost certainly a figure which will be enough to put one of them into the final two to face Boris Johnson and the membership.

Mr Stewart told the BBCs' Victoria Derbyshire: "We’re talking about combining forces. We will sit down and come to a common position on Brexit”.

However a source close to Mr Gove said: "We are in to win it and we would obviously welcome the support of any candidate that wanted to drop out and support us."

Return to “Political betting & arguing”