Greyhound Mystique

Any markets not covered in the other boards
Archery1969

A dogs chance of winning the race has nothing to do about previous form.

On the day of a race each dog has a 1/6 chance or 16.67%.

My new strategy doesn’t care if any of the dogs came 1st, 2nd, 3rd or last.

It’s all about the odds and market makers.
Fugazi

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:47 pm

Well then I'll back the dog thats a 20-1? 🤔

I get that past results dont equal future success..
conduirez

Fugazi wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:02 pm
conduirez wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:52 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:25 pm
Is the code still working? I know nothing about coding. Tried to run it with an online "compiler" no luck. Chatgpt thinks the compiler doesnt have the libraries i need. I also got it to make the bracket corrections for python but still no luck.

What should I use to run it? Does it need modifying ?

Code: Select all

import re
import requests
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
from requests_html import HTMLSession

def extract_times(input):
    times_regex = re.compile(r'Best: (.....)sLast: (.....)s')
    best_times_regex = re.compile(r'Best: (.....)s')
    match = times_regex.search(input)
    best_match = best_times_regex.search(input)

if match:
        if float(match.group(2)) < float(match.group(1)):
            return float(match.group(1))
        else:        
            return round((float(match.group(1))+float(match.group(2)))/2,2)

if best_match:
        return float(best_match.group(1))

return 100

session = HTMLSession()
baseUrl = "https://www.sportinglife.com"
str="/greyhounds/racecards/20"

res = requests.get("https://www.sportinglife.com/greyhounds/racecards")
soup=BeautifulSoup(res.text,"html.parser")
summary=soup.find_all("a", class_="")

x=0
for link in soup.find_all('a'):
    link = link.get('href')

if str in link:
        res = session.get(baseUrl+link)
        soup=BeautifulSoup(res.text,"html.parser")
        race = soup.find_all('h1')[1].get_text()
        distance =soup.find(class_='gh-racecard-summary-race-class gh-racecard-summary-always-open').get_text()
        summary=soup.find_all(class_="gh-racing-runner-key-info-container")
        Runners = dict()

for link in summary:
            Trap= link.find(class_="gh-racing-runner-cloth").get_text()
            Name =re.sub(r'\(.*\)', '',link.find(class_="gh-racing-runner-greyhound-name").get_text())
            Average_time = extract_times(link.find(class_="gh-racing-runner-greyhound-sub-info").get_text())
            Runners[Average_time]= Trap+'. '+Name

if bool(Runners) == True and ('OR' in distance or 'A' in distance):

x = sorted(((k,v) for k,v in Runners.items()))

if (x[1][0]-x[0][0]) >=0.1:

timeDiff =round((x[1][0]-x[0][0]),2)
                print(f"{race},{x[0][1]}, class {distance}, time difference {timeDiff}")
If it's an import the compiler would tell you exactly what is missing, but trying to scrape from the Sporting Life, very naughty posting this.
:lol:
Guilty as charged. Hoping to make some edits to it myself with some help of gpt.

Trying to learn code as in depth as this is not easy. You have to understand two languages when scraping data, with this script, you have to have knowledge of not only the language calling the web page, but also JavaScript. Just go to any web page right click the mouse and then select <Inspect> from the menu, this will bring up the JavaScript content for that page.

If I was you I would use Excel, look for a poster called paspuggie48, who using Excel to get tables from websites, he will point you in the right direction.
Archery1969

Fugazi wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:05 am
Archery1969 wrote:

But what do you do when you can’t back a dog at 20/1 ?

That’s the million dollar question.

Less than 5% no the answer. 🙌
Fugazi

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:47 am
Fugazi wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:05 am
Archery1969 wrote:

But what do you do when you can’t back a dog at 20/1 ?

That’s the million dollar question.

Less than 5% no the answer. 🙌
Go to the next race and back a dog that is 20-1 if they all have a 1/6 chance...

I think I'm not understanding the actual question you're asking.

But if the odds on offer are not value, I stick an offer on the ladder that is value for me and wait. OR if the value is really poor, I stick a lay offer in

But again, I dont think im understanding what youre asking
ilovepizza82

Archery1969 wrote:

Glad someone finally said it out loud.
I dont understand people who have tens and tons of all different kind of stats in fancy spreadsheets alll sparkilng and shimmering who have been doing this for years and still cant see that those stats are as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.
conduirez

ilovepizza82 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:43 am
Archery1969 wrote:

I dont understand people who have tens and tons of all different kind of stats in fancy spreadsheets alll sparkilng and shimmering who have been doing this for years and still cant see that those stats are as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.
You don't care about trap bias?
Archery1969

conduirez wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:02 am
ilovepizza82 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:43 am
Archery1969 wrote:

You don't care about trap bias?
No, as I trade out at 40 seconds before start.
sIGNAL

conduirez wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:23 am
Fugazi wrote:
conduirez wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:52 pm

If it's an import the compiler would tell you exactly what is missing, but trying to scrape from the Sporting Life, very naughty posting this.
Guilty as charged. Hoping to make some edits to it myself with some help of gpt.

Trying to learn code as in depth as this is not easy. You have to understand two languages when scraping data, with this script, you have to have knowledge of not only the language calling the web page, but also JavaScript. Just go to any web page right click the mouse and then select <Inspect> from the menu, this will bring up the JavaScript content for that page.

If I was you I would use Excel, look for a poster called paspuggie48, who using Excel to get tables from websites, he will point you in the right direction.
It can be done without any or very little coding knowledge. I used chatgbt to write me a python script which scrapes the Racing Post greyhound website and put it all nicely into an excel sheet with stats, formulas and links to additional data etc. It took me a week to do it but it works a treat and that's with me only having some basic html coding
knowledge.

Just need plenty of time and patience as chatgbt can go off in the wrong direction. It needs to be fed very specific instructions which I had to do in stages to get to the finished product.

I'm looking to do a football one next with some very specific data I'm using right now. This time it should be much easier to do I hope. :D
conduirez

sIGNAL wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:59 pm
conduirez wrote:
Fugazi wrote:

It can be done without any or very little coding knowledge. I used chatgbt to write me a python script which scrapes the Racing Post greyhound website and put it all nicely into an excel sheet with stats, formulas and links to additional data etc. It took me a week to do it but it works a treat and that's with me only having some basic html coding
knowledge.

Just need plenty of time and patience as chatgbt can go off in the wrong direction. It needs to be fed very specific instructions which I had to do in stages to get to the finished product.

I'm looking to do a football one next with some very specific data I'm using right now. This time it should be much easier to do I hope. :D
Well done.
Fugazi

sIGNAL wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:59 pm
conduirez wrote:
Fugazi wrote:

knowledge.

Good work.

Currently my time is better spent reading the forums and developing my strategy manually.

Need to really nail that first, then spend the time working towards automation, or at least semi automatic
wearthefoxhat

Archery1969 wrote:

That would be a good approach for anyone that wants to define value by adding to or subtracting from the 16.67%.

eg: Add 2% to a runner with the best most recent time, subtract 2% if down in grade and a certain age...etc. An excel sheet can be set up prior and it would be easy enough to compare the tissue with the current market by linking it to Bet Angel.
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:05 pm
Currently my time is better spent reading the forums and developing my strategy manually.

Need to really nail that first, then spend the time working towards automation, or at least semi automatic
Are you familiar with the South Park underpants meme

Archery1969

Kai wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:56 pm
Fugazi wrote:

🤣
Fugazi

Kai wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:56 pm
Fugazi wrote:

I watched that episode especially this weekend :lol:

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”