Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
superfrank

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:48 am
The best time to buy is when everybody is hitting the panic button and things don't look like they could get any worse and they do.
But catching falling knives is a risky business. Buying the Friday dip last week wasn't such a good trade as the week before. Retail investors looking to buy and hold are usually fully invested in the market before the crash.
wearthefoxhat

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am
Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 am
spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 am
I guess we all have different ideas of what's fun.
I've just learnt when people hit the panic button that's where the best opportunities are created.
I have all my fingers crossed that house prices take a huge hit... I've been waiting for what seems forever. The market has been gready & I want fearful.
If you're buying to live in it for 20 years+, then get a fair deposit together and buy in a location that is well sought after and not near a flood plain. If you're a fixer upper type person, buy from an auction. You'd be surprised at the value there is doing it that way.
jamesg46

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:36 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am
Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 am

I've just learnt when people hit the panic button that's where the best opportunities are created.
I have all my fingers crossed that house prices take a huge hit... I've been waiting for what seems forever. The market has been gready & I want fearful.
If you're buying to live in it for 20 years+, then get a fair deposit together and buy in a location that is well sought after and not near a flood plain. If you're a fixer upper type person, buy from an auction. You'd be surprised at the value there is doing it that way.
I agree although the fixer upper is a pain in the arse, I've not long sold one.. & for my own personal home I dont want the hassle of it all again, I had too many issues with tradesmen, I had a bathroom fitter that went rogue & ended up costing me double, a window company that was from hell. I ended up making 8k for a whole world of stress. My aim is to buy one, move in & sit down.
jamesg46

https://youtu.be/q45o-4OOtsc

This is worth a post in the current times we are in.
Euler

US trading halt kicks in on a 7% slide at the open.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:39 pm
...and the circuit breaker kicked in, so they had to suspend the market... :shock:
Euler

319 cases as at this morning. That's much lower than I suspected at 360.
jimibt

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm
319 cases as at this morning. That's much lower than I suspected at 360.
altho' i'm certain that the numbers aren't being muted, there may be issues surrounding how and when new cases are added to the register (i.e. 100% certain). my fear is that the numbers are being reported slightly lower than expected and we are going to get hit with a *panic* when the eventual daily number literally doubles and goes into the low 1000's....

feels to mre that the UK approach of containment is for economic and political ends, not for healthcare !!
Last edited by jimibt on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archery1969

This person doesnt sound very optimistic......

A European Union expert said the UK had only a "few days" to implement measures to prevent an outbreak like Italy's, which is the worst outside China with 7,375 confirmed cases and 366 deaths. Sergio Brusin from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme: "The UK is in the same situation Italy was two weeks ago."
PDC

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:39 pm
For some perspective we are now at levels not seen in the S&P 500 since...... that rout we were all (not) posting about 10 months ago in May 2019 and that is ignoring dividends.
Kai

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:24 pm
Sergio Brusin from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme: "The UK is in the same situation Italy was two weeks ago."
Looks that way. No need to speculate any more, UK has made their priorities perfectly clear with that last statement, the show must go on and all that.

My Italian neighbors are a complete mess right now, they've just quarantined 16 million people in the north of the country but it's too late as many have already fled to the south. Anyone not respecting the quarantine rules can face up to 3 months of jail time and a small fine and yet many just don't seem to care. Hospitals are running on warlike conditions and are having to prioritize who to treat, people dying in prison riots, so yeah, the panic button has been smashed to bits.
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:02 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:24 pm
Sergio Brusin from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme: "The UK is in the same situation Italy was two weeks ago."
Looks that way. No need to speculate any more, UK has made their priorities perfectly clear with that last statement, the show must go on and all that.

My Italian neighbors are a complete mess right now, they've just quarantined 16 million people in the north of the country but it's too late as many have already fled to the south. Anyone not respecting the quarantine rules can face up to 3 months of jail time and a small fine and yet many just don't seem to care. Hospitals are running on warlike conditions and are having to prioritize who to treat, people dying in prison riots, so yeah, the panic button has been smashed to bits.
kai - i can imagine near riot conditions bubbling under the surface in many regions of the world. not because of the virus threat itself, more because OUR collective politians are using this outbreak as both a cover and a platform... you can't have both. to that end, the uk has never been a nation to hold back on rioting, so expect some interesting times if the news catches up with the reality..
Kai

jimibt wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:09 pm
kai - i can imagine near riot conditions bubbling under the surface in many regions of the world
Yep, most countries will have to go into quarantine mode. Ironically the safest corner of the world right now seems to be North Korea, that's absolutely hilarious. They've got orders to shoot at anyone approaching their borders and they'll even shoot their own people. One of their officials coming home from China was executed and shot dead for sneezing one too many times, no joke.
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:18 pm
One of their officials coming home from China was executed and shot dead for sneezing one too many times, no joke.
yes, my son told me about this yesterday. certainly an extreme form of containment. the *emergency* measures that many countries bring in (in particular, the uk) will form the basis for many future forms of social control.... i am not a number - :shock:

in the meantime, here's a good feelgood rhythm: https://open.spotify.com/embed/album/7J ... m9OOysaa66
jimibt

good to see panic buying restrained in some quarters...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”