Inplay cricket prices

hmb

Hi all

I'm wanting to do some value analysis of inplay cricket. This is a new sport for me to be looking at so I don't know what inplay bets are available. My query is essentially two-fold:

- what bets are available: can you bet on the outcome of each ball or is it just the outcome of each over?
- what are the typical odds for, say, a boundary or a dot ball or a wicket?

Many thanks for any help.
megarain

This is just a massive ask for a 1st post.

A reply would be worth $$$$ done properly.

Get the historical data from betfair or collect your own, get some research done then retry.

Good luck on your journey
hmb

Sorry you feel that way, but let me clarify - I'm not asking for any historical or specific data.

The answer would be freely available in 2 seconds if there was a live inplay game of cricket on, but due to the lockdown that isn't going to happen anytime soon and despite numerous searches I cannot find the answer, hence my post.

I don't understand why you think that knowing if you can bet on each ball or each over would be such valuable information?
hmb

P S, I have all the historical data and have analysed it. Just need to know what I can bet on inplay.
megarain

Sigh.

Are u talking about exchange betting or Bet365 ?

By the v nature of an exchange, the number of runs scored or not scored will impact the new price 1 ball later.

The price of a top 10 batter scoring 20 off the last over, needs 19 to win, is v different to that of a ferret.

100 mill are traded on most good T20 games. Obviously the prices change each ball.

You were asking the value of a 4,6. That is incredibly useful info.
megarain

What price do u make Andre Russel to score a 4 in the last over ?

What price do u make Andre Russel to score a 6 in the last over ?

In an IPL game, to score 48 from 13 balls, what price should a team be ? Thats an incredibly complex question.

If you have truly solved it, getting bets in-play will be easy.

But .. historical data doesnt tell you which batter faced which bowler.

The dimensions of your question are endless.

Good luck
hmb

Hi
I don't need any specific information regarding batters vs bowlers - I have all the data that I need in that respect.

My question essentially is, can you bet on the outcome of each individual ball e.g. dot, 1, 2, 4, 6, w etc. or can you only bet on longer term outcomes such as total number of boundaries, dot balls etc. in the current over or innings. If there was a live cricket game on I could find this out very easily but, as I said I have not played live cricket before so I don't know and lockdown means there is no immediate prospect of having a live game to monitor.

This is for both exchanges and bookies.

A supplementary question (which is just to give context to my analysis) is what the typical (or median) odds are for each outcome. I understand that specific odds will vary wildly depending on the batter/bowler/stage of match etc. but I am not interested in that. It would just be useful to know what the odds are for, say, an average batter vs an average bowler in the middle of an innings. As I say, this question isn't that important as I guess such typical odds will approximate to the historic statistical probability when looking at many matches over a period of time, but would've just been useful to have an indication.

Many thanks.
Archery1969

hmb wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:38 pm
Hi
I don't need any specific information regarding batters vs bowlers - I have all the data that I need in that respect.

My question essentially is, can you bet on the outcome of each individual ball e.g. dot, 1, 2, 4, 6, w etc. or can you only bet on longer term outcomes such as total number of boundaries, dot balls etc. in the current over or innings. If there was a live cricket game on I could find this out very easily but, as I said I have not played live cricket before so I don't know and lockdown means there is no immediate prospect of having a live game to monitor.

This is for both exchanges and bookies.

A supplementary question (which is just to give context to my analysis) is what the typical (or median) odds are for each outcome. I understand that specific odds will vary wildly depending on the batter/bowler/stage of match etc. but I am not interested in that. It would just be useful to know what the odds are for, say, an average batter vs an average bowler in the middle of an innings. As I say, this question isn't that important as I guess such typical odds will approximate to the historic statistical probability when looking at many matches over a period of time, but would've just been useful to have an indication.

Many thanks.
If you have all the data you need then just back Team A or Team B as the match odds can move rapidly if there is a 4 or 6 pending on the chances of a team winning. As far as I know you can’t bet on a dot ball, 4 or 6. But you wouldn’t need to as that would be reflected in the match odds when they change accordingly.
hmb

Thanks.
So, are match odds the only inplay item that it is possible to bet on with cricket?
Archery1969

hmb wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:59 pm
Thanks.
So, are match odds the only inplay item that it is possible to bet on with cricket?
There are others but can’t remember what they are and we can’t check the markets obviously.

But you can’t bet if the next ball will be a dot or a 4 or a 6. That I know about.
hmb

Okay, thanks.
CallumPerry

Hi hmb,

Sorry I can't be of more help but I've never looked at cricket so don't have that information to share with you but if you contact BetFair directly they should easily be able to supply you with the markets they usually have available. Would also be worth asking about enforced delays, being in-play I am unsure. Cricket is definitely on the medium-term radar so good luck with it. Let us know if you crack it won't you.
hmb

Hi Callum
I found this:

https://www.betfair.com/aboutUs/Sportsb ... s/#Cricket

which gives an indication of what markets are available, but will drop them a line, as you suggest, to confirm inplay markets.

Have seen 5 second delays mentioned for cricket.

Will let you know if it goes well!
Wildly

Hi hmb,

In-play, apart from the match odds market, there is not much with the liquidity to be worthwhile.

The only other market I can recall with decent liquidity is a teams innings score being over/under total number of runs, those totals are in 25 run increments. But the available money thins as you get close to each result.

Best to plan on being involved in the match odds market. There is so much money there and significant enough moves with each boundary or wicket, or dot ball in the shorter form, that's all you need for cricket.
hmb

Thanks Wildly

That's interesting - I may tweak my system to multiple bets on the match result then, if that us where the liquidity is.

Final piece of the jigsaw will be to monitor a live match and assess the fluctuations in the odds as we go through the match.

Thanks all.

Return to “Betfair Data”