Trading What I see !?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
goat68

So this post will probably create some discussion!
Up until now my bot has been taking "Best Market Price", as backtesting showed it marginally better than offering Reverse, however my backtesting cannot accurately simulate offering. So today I thought I would try using Reverse price offers, and an interesting result from watching the bot... So far today it's only done 7 trades and is -£1.15. However, it has "offered" another 7 trades that didn't match and the price action went on to what would have been a decent win... Hmmm, it would have been in profit today if I hadn't switched.
So the motto for the day "Don't fiddle with your bot"(!)
goat68

I've switched back to BMP, lets see what difference it makes...
ShaunWhite

Yep that's the dilemma, the only offers with a 100% fill guarantee are the ones that go against you. Couple of possibles..... Don't join the back of a big offer queue (take or offer based on queue size) or have a fill/kill on the offer and either move it or just take if it's not filled. Or...... look at whether the missed moves actually make up for missed tick or not. Or...... ;) ..... Derive some sort of noise metric and decide based on that, more noise = better fill possibility. I'm sure there's others, there always is.
goat68

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:16 pm
Yep that's the dilemma, the only offers with a 100% fill guarantee are the ones that go against you. Couple of possibles..... Don't join the back of a big offer queue (take or offer based on queue size) or have a fill/kill on the offer and either move it or just take if it's not filled. Or...... look at whether the missed moves actually make up for missed tick or not. Or...... ;) ..... Derive some sort of noise metric and decide based on that, more noise = better fill possibility. I'm sure there's others, there always is.
Great tips as ever, thanks Shaun.
ShaunWhite

goat68 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:33 pm
Great tips as ever, thanks Shaun.
Tips yes. Great, maybe not so much.
When you've spent several years eating, breathing and sleeping these questions then you have some ideas on file. The fact I'm still eating, breathing and sleeping these questions means they haven't necessarily always been good ones.
Anbell

goat68 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:18 pm
Each strategy has its own logic, but count me in for Best Reverse for most of them.

If you consider your long-term expected PoT (perhaps 5%?) and then consider the difference in the spread between BMP and Best Reverse (perhaps 2.5%?) - there's a pretty compelling reason to use BestReverse most of the time.
goat68

Anbell wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:21 am
goat68 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:18 pm
Each strategy has its own logic, but count me in for Best Reverse for most of them.

If you consider your long-term expected PoT (perhaps 5%?) and then consider the difference in the spread between BMP and Best Reverse (perhaps 2.5%?) - there's a pretty compelling reason to use BestReverse most of the time.
Yes true
Ive turned live trade off now, convinced this is a dud! going to see how backtesting goes this week..
ShaunWhite

I think you may have speculated about the influence of LLHF bots....75% of traffic and revenue.
200K RPS ain't too shabble from the Betfair end tbh esp as they also peak at approx 10k/s orders with a response time of no more than 8ms.
rebuilding-the-busiest-trading-exchange-in-the-world-to-scale-10x-manjunath-shivakumar-paddypowerbetfair-kafka-summit-london-2019-19-638.jpg
rebuilding-the-busiest-trading-exchange-in-the-world-to-scale-10x-manjunath-shivakumar-paddypowerbetfair-kafka-summit-london-2019-5-638.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
napshnap

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:37 am
I think you may have speculated about the influence of LLHF bots....75% of traffic and revenue.
200K RPS ain't too shabble from the Betfair end tbh esp as they also peak at approx 10k/s orders with a response time of no more than 8ms.
rebuilding-the-busiest-trading-exchange-in-the-world-to-scale-10x-manjunath-shivakumar-paddypowerbetfair-kafka-summit-london-2019-19-638.jpgrebuilding-the-busiest-trading-exchange-in-the-world-to-scale-10x-manjunath-shivakumar-paddypowerbetfair-kafka-summit-london-2019-5-638.jpg
Interesting statistics. By "Trader Bots" they mean not only software (Bet Angel and others) but all existing bots I guess? If so, it will be interesting to know the statistics for bots made for "personal use".
ShaunWhite

napshnap wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:59 am
Interesting ....
Must say naps, that's a genius avatar you've got there. :)
napshnap

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:23 pm
napshnap wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:59 am
Interesting ....
Must say naps, that's a genius avatar you've got there. :)
Thank you, Shaun. I've been stalking from thread to thread for a week in a hope that someone will notice it :D .
I wanted to draw "BF" on that box at first, but then thought about PC2 and I'm not quite sure who's the box and who's Mario now.
I like yours too, reminds me my childhoods robot toy, sweet memories 8-) .
Trader Pat

napshnap wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:23 pm

I think I had one of those!
ShaunWhite

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm
napshnap wrote:
That one's maybe from the 80's, about 3" tall and by a company called Yone. I went through a phase of collecting them a few years ago but prices get a bit eye-watering for the interesting 60s Japanese ones. They're in the loft now with the rest of my pension "investments" (aka junk I had to justify spending the money on)
Screenshot_4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trader Pat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:33 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm
napshnap wrote:
That one's maybe from the 80's, about 3" tall and by a company called Yone. I went through a phase of collecting them a few years ago but prices get a bit eye-watering for the interesting 60s Japanese ones. They're in the loft now with the rest of my pension "investments" (aka junk I had to justify spending the money on)

Screenshot_4.png

The one I had wasn't that big it was a smaller one, all red. It was probably a rip off of the one you had!

It was still one of my prized possessions as a kid along with my Snoopy game :)

https://youtu.be/yGAiTWvtvZo
ShaunWhite

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:39 pm
It was still one of my prized possessions as a kid along with my Snoopy game :)
https://youtu.be/yGAiTWvtvZo
That's awesome :D

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”