PhD sports betting help

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
sniffer66

and done
Emmson

I started but didn't finish.
jimibt

Emmson wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 pm
I started but didn't finish.
unlike Magnus Magnusson then :D
Derek27

I'll never forget the time I bumped into an old friend, she asked me what I do these days and I said I take horse racing quite seriously and spend most of my time studying it and betting. She looked at me as if I told her I was a drug addict and said, "at least you can admit it". :lol:

Reminds me of Chelmsford 123:

Philip Pope: My wife is on the streets every day...
Other guy: I'm sorry to hear that.
Philip Pope: ...shopping!
mcgoo

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:33 pm
I'll never forget the time I bumped into an old friend, she asked me what I do these days and I said I take horse racing quite seriously and spend most of my time studying it and betting. She looked at me as if I told her I was a drug addict and said, "at least you can admit it". :lol:

Reminds me of Chelmsford 123:

Philip Pope: My wife is on the streets every day...
Other guy: I'm sorry to hear that.
Philip Pope: ...shopping!
:lol: ..also how traders immediately spring into debates about 2 flies going up a wall and the likelihoods of A v B hitting a food morsel which slows them down at a crossover point leading to a trade out vs punting which overtime will succumb to the variance of wall cleaning removing food morsels which then..reduces the overround and volume traded %'s which may or may not influence the outcome but will definitely affect liquidity... :ugeek: :P ..God help the survey analysis 8-) :lol:
Edit: Just read LeTiss' comment. Ibid you honour :P
rik

effect of advertising and in in-play betting on gambling addiction? what result supposed to come from this study
jimibt

rik wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:18 am
effect of advertising and in in-play betting on gambling addiction? what result supposed to come from this study
as alluded to in the previous messages, i think Liz's survey is targetted at the same segment that FOBT caused issues for. The interesting thing for Liz may be the realisation that trading per se exists and all of it pretty much divorced from glossy advertising and teaser offers.
sionascaig

Who's on the 2%, 5% & 8% commission packages would be a good starting point re this survey - quite different populations I would imagine...

Ohhhh shiny shiny free rolls here I come...
Euler

Feel free to complete the survey. I did have an offline conversation with Liz to indicate the survey is going to be heavily skewed by us as a group.

I get the feeling that as a group we are still very misunderstood in all circles. People still don't really know the reality of trading on Betfair, outside of the get rich schemes!
Liz_ntu

Hi everyone

Thanks so much to those who have done the survey so far.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. I wanted to raise some of your feedback with my supervisors and address some of the points with them before I got back to you.

Because we have included betting exchanges as one of the methods it will allow us to incorporate place of gambling as a factor in the analysis and we're interested in seeing the results we get for this sub-group.

The results will be used in my thesis and (hopefully) a publication, both of which I will more than happy to share when complete.

If anyone else is anyone else is available to help out that would be appreciated!

Liz
Derek27

The first question's tricky: Have you placed at least one bet on sport in the last 12 months? ;)
Derek27

Is "cash out" and greening-up the same thing?
Derek27

I bet on events during the game

That's quite a poorly worded question. I presume it means events other than the one you're betting on/watching?
LeTiss

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm
Is "cash out" and greening-up the same thing?
It is. A number of the bookies offer a "cash out" facility. I have looked at these when doing Saturday goals accumulators for some interest. The value is normally pretty terrible, unless you only have 1 selection letting you down
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:57 pm
I bet on events during the game

That's quite a poorly worded question. I presume it means events other than the one you're betting on/watching?
i think it's related to the bet365 type thing - who gets next kick of the ref etc :D (liz, not making light of your survey, just educating Derek - lol)

Return to “Chill Out Area”