Betfair Account Restrictions & closed accounts - Getting them removed and accounts reopened

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Derek27

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:37 pm
Grinderman wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:01 pm
Yeah, but try withdrawing £15k because you are going on holiday for a few weeks and don't want it sitting in their account. They will notice.
I've been told by Betfair in the past that withdrawals will never trigger deposit limits, at least not from a player protection perspective. It is only losses and deposits.

That said I always limit a withdrawal to below £10k as it just feels less risky.

Hope you can get something sorted. Are you a 'Priority' account? If so you can ask to be put through to the Priority team who are much more switched on and supportive.
There have been a few posts on here from people who are profitable and whose account is in lifetime profit, but they still get nabbed when they make a deposit and limited to £100 per month. Off memory, I think Naffman is included in that category.
jamesedwards

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:00 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:37 pm
Grinderman wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:01 pm
Yeah, but try withdrawing £15k because you are going on holiday for a few weeks and don't want it sitting in their account. They will notice.
I've been told by Betfair in the past that withdrawals will never trigger deposit limits, at least not from a player protection perspective. It is only losses and deposits.

That said I always limit a withdrawal to below £10k as it just feels less risky.

Hope you can get something sorted. Are you a 'Priority' account? If so you can ask to be put through to the Priority team who are much more switched on and supportive.
There have been a few posts on here from people who are profitable and whose account is in lifetime profit, but they still get nabbed when they make a deposit and limited to £100 per month. Off memory, I think Naffman is included in that category.
Yes I've seen. I actively avoid ever depositing for this very reason.

Can't do much about the losses except cross fingers when it happens and keep plenty of balance in Betfair to cope with a run of negative variance. How horrible that we're forced into keeping such excessive balances in Betfair with all the opportunity cost and risk that such behaviour creates.
Grinderman

Maybe they changed their MO, but a while ago a large withdrawal triggered the safer gambling police. I was on holiday, so didn't respond. When I got back, my account was suspended and had a cap applied. Someone on here kindly gave me an email address and it got sorted out. I thought because I had gone through 'the procedure', I would be ok making the withdrawal. Obviously not. But go on, give it a try. Withdraw £15k and 1.01 you get the phone call.
Grinderman

Quick recap.
My account is in profit and has been for years. I keep a healthy balance, but top up 4 or 5 times a year for the big events. Topped it up with £5k ready for Ascot. This triggered the phone call, which I didn't answer. So, account suspended. Had the 'review' and account unsuspended, but restricted to £100 per month.

An update.
The problem for them, is that I have money and income streams, but not in the traditional way. So I have no pay slips or P60s. I spent the next 10 days or so sending account statements, evidence of savings, copies of letters and playing email tennis with them.

Eventually, following another 'review', they increased my spending cap to £5k - RESULT !!!

And just in time for The Open, for which I needed to be at my max exposure limit to trade. So, I made my inaugural top up of £5k. You guessed it. Within the hour, got the phone call. 'Your account has been restricted to £100 pm, we need to do a review'. 'But you just did one and agreed all is ok'. 'Doesnt matter, we need to do it again'.
Euler

That's silly. I think that confirms the deposit is the trigger. I.e. can this person afford to 'lose' this deposit.
Dallas

A truly well thought through idea!

Hope someone there see's sense and fast track it through for you this time
Grinderman

Very interesting (worrying) thread on the BF forum

https://community.betfair.com/horse_rac ... comeHeader
Kai

Grinderman wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:41 am

Was it a winning account?
Michael5482

Grinderman wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:41 am

Reading between the lines the poster has had a choice.

He could of undergone some kind of checks or accept a lower "budget spend" (not sure what that actually is if it's a deposit or bet limit tbh) instead he's decided against either and chose to close his account.

Don't see anything to worry about tbh everyone knows some type of checks are coming so you either adapt, diversify or do what this individual has done overreact and close your account.
ShaunWhite

Michael5482 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:58 am

He could of undergone some kind of checks or accept a lower "budget spend" (not sure what that actually is if it's a deposit or bet limit tbh) instead he's decided against either and chose to close his account.

Don't see anything to worry about tbh everyone knows some type of checks are coming so you either adapt, diversify or do what this individual has done overreact and close your account.
There's more to this type of story than meets the eye. Choosing to close your account, ie jumping rather than being pushed, and then blaming Betfair is just creating a smoke screen.

And having a "profitable" account means absolutely nothing, just because you won in the past doesn't mean you'll continue to do so.
Michael5482

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:13 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:58 am

There's more to this type of story than meets the eye. Choosing to close your account, ie jumping rather than being pushed, and then blaming Betfair is just creating a smoke screen.

And having a "profitable" account means absolutely nothing, just because you won in the past doesn't mean you'll continue to do so.
Yep never going to get the full SP of the individual. It's the Politicians/Gambling Commissioning people want to be looking at.
weemac

That BF poster is Alan Potts, author of some well regarded racing books.
Derek27

I've always got a blank screen whenever I've clicked on a link to BF community, but I tried what James suggested and opened in a new tab, worked fine!

If he asked to close his account over the chat facility it was obviously a knee-jerk reaction. You would think after 22 years he'd at least take 22 minutes to think about it. It won't be much fun trying to re-open a closed Betfair account!
kalkulatorix

Hi, my account was closed immediately after I supplied the KYC documents (passport, utility bill and credit card).

I had a very successfully time with Betfair exchange in Austria over 10 years ago, was premium charge client but then Betfair closed access to the exchange for Austrian customers. I have all funds withdrawn and all betting activity stopped.

Last year I moved to Malta and can provide all KYC documents from my new address in Malta.

The response was:
We are sorry to inform you that your account with betfair has been closed. This decision has been made by our Security department on business grounds in line with our terms and conditions.
I don't get any help from the support team, support team says there is no one at Betfair who can help me because the Security department's decision is final.

I would be very grateful for a tip on what I can do now to reactivate my account.
Kai

kalkulatorix wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:11 pm
The response was:
We are sorry to inform you that your account with betfair has been closed. This decision has been made by our Security department on business grounds in line with our terms and conditions.
I don't get any help from the support team, support team says there is no one at Betfair who can help me because the Security department's decision is final.

I would be very grateful for a tip on what I can do now to reactivate my account.
Support will say decisions are final like that, but I've seen accounts that were permanently closed "on business grounds" re-opened.

So you've not used Betfair for 10+ years and want to re-activate your old account? If that's the whole story I don't see why they couldn't do it.

You can try to email the CEO, he's been known to get stuff done and forward issues to the right departments : [email protected]

If that fails then contacting [email protected] or [email protected] yourself still worth a shot

Return to “Betfair exchange”