US Presidential Election 2024

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Naffman

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:56 pm
Naffman wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:10 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:21 pm
Even if Trump is found guilty its very unlikely he will do jail/prison time. The secret service have to protect the current and former presidents for life. How that would work in Jail has not been thought about. Not saying it couldn't happen but would be a complete nightmare from a security point of view. I guess you could put him in solitary confinement 24/7 with Secret service outside the door or watching remotely via CCTV. It would also be a first in US history. More likely is house arrest and large fine. This could all be plea bargained away if he agrees not to run for president ever again.

What could be more worrying for the authorities is that a large number of Trump supports, armed, could cause untold deaths. You also need to factor in that the Republicans could block everything coming from the Senate as happened a few years back when government staff didn't get paid and were basically left in no mans land. Effectively, government stopped working. Not something you want happening with Russia/China in a party mood.

Obviously, Judges wont care about all this and will just apply the law. Although, Trump appointed two to the supreme court so will be intersesting to see what happens if it all ends up there. Again, not saying they maybe bias but I not sure they will agree with a former president being held in a jail/prison regardless of what laws have been broken.

And dont forget if/when a Republican becomes president again he/she will 100% have Trump set free and pardoned.

There is allot rethoric on Telegram channels used by Trump supporters stating "This is going to be the ultimate backfire’, ‘we’re ready when you are, Mr President’".
Didn't the French President Sarkozy go to prison? I'd imagine he has secret service agents too.

I've heard as because it's a local case, a President cannot pardon him, they can if it were a federal case.

They have to say that though don't they, if you go on Twitter you'd think DeSantis is hated by half of Republicans...it's the old conservative GOP voter in a small town in Iowa you have to think of, what's he thinking...
France doesn't have the same rules for ex presidents.

Sarkozy was sentended to 3 years in prison, suspended for 2 and has appealed the original sentence meaning he stays free until a higher court rules otherwise. Furthermore a court sentenced him to 1 year in prison which he served at home wearing an eletronic tag.
Thanks for the clarification, 'we are all equal, but some are more equal than others'
Archery1969

Naffman wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:02 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:56 pm
Naffman wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:10 pm

Didn't the French President Sarkozy go to prison? I'd imagine he has secret service agents too.

I've heard as because it's a local case, a President cannot pardon him, they can if it were a federal case.

They have to say that though don't they, if you go on Twitter you'd think DeSantis is hated by half of Republicans...it's the old conservative GOP voter in a small town in Iowa you have to think of, what's he thinking...
France doesn't have the same rules for ex presidents.

Sarkozy was sentended to 3 years in prison, suspended for 2 and has appealed the original sentence meaning he stays free until a higher court rules otherwise. Furthermore a court sentenced him to 1 year in prison which he served at home wearing an eletronic tag.
Thanks for the clarification, 'we are all equal, but some are more equal than others'
+ 1

Makes my blood boil. Yes, we all supposed to be equal. But that seems to go out the window, depending on how cleaver you are, status in society, who you know or what you know.

I been in a room with defence and prosecution lawyers going down a list of people for the days court brief and doing deals on basically who gets prosecuted more harshly than others on the list. Both of them laughing like its a game of monopoly.

Its a disgrace and should be called out nationally.
Anbell

Naffman wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:37 pm
Also, just watched an interview with Michael Cohen's lawyer and it sounds like there's a lot more in the charges than just the hush money payment...
Which interview was that?
Naffman

Anbell wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:29 am
Naffman wrote:
Also, just watched an interview with Michael Cohen's lawyer and it sounds like there's a lot more in the charges than just the hush money payment...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt4CHJaVgGs&t=215s
Anbell

Naffman wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:31 pm
Anbell wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:29 am
Naffman wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt4CHJaVgGs&t=215s
Thanks
Archery1969

If Trump is found guilty then any prison time will be spent at a military prison with secret service outside is cell 24/7. There is nothing in law preventing him from running for president while locked up.
sionascaig

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:15 pm
If Trump is found guilty then any prison time will be spent at a military prison with secret service outside is cell 24/7. There is nothing in law preventing him from running for president while locked up.
That would indeed be interesting. No campaign rallies, monitored telephone conversations & no access to hairspray. Good job orange is his colour.
Archery1969

sionascaig wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 am
Archery1969 wrote:
That would indeed be interesting. No campaign rallies, monitored telephone conversations & no access to hairspray. Good job orange is his colour.
Statistics showed that allot of Trump supporters were actually serving members of the USA armed forces. Be interesting to see if he gets any unofficial special treatment.

This is all assuming he is found guilty and gets prison time. As much as Biden hates him it isn't going to look good for the USA to lock up a former president. I suspect Biden will pardon him within 24 hours it it happens.
Naffman

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:06 am
sionascaig wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Statistics showed that allot of Trump supporters were actually serving members of the USA armed forces. Be interesting to see if he gets any unofficial special treatment.

This is all assuming he is found guilty and gets prison time. As much as Biden hates him it isn't going to look good for the USA to lock up a former president. I suspect Biden will pardon him within 24 hours it it happens.
This one and the Georgia case are both local so presidents have no power, it is up to the county, but yes Biden will probably influence their decision or maybe he won’t interfere.

The biggest case being the Mar-a-lago documents case is federal though, but to me it sounds like they’ve got tons of evidence that Trump obstructed the collection of these documents, by the end of this month he could have 3 indictments and the money will really start running out.
Naffman

And whilst all this was going on DeSantis filed a bill on Thursday to revise Florida's 'resign to run' law so he doesn't have to resign to run for President
Derek27

Rumours going around that Trump's security detail will force the pilots to fly and land in Rio de Janeiro and claim asylum.
sionascaig

Judge to rule on whether a gagging order to be applied to all parties later today... Good luck with that one..
Archangel

Trump must be the only politician in the world who could get an election boost from paying off a hooker :lol:
sionascaig

I liked Stormy Daniels recollection of what she was thinking on that fateful night:

"Gawd, I hope he doesn't try and pay me for this"

At least she got to see some good shark documentaries afterwards.
Derek27

Stormy Danials said she's not frightened of seeing Trump in court. It can't possibly be more frightening than when she saw him naked. :lol:

Return to “Political betting & arguing”