US Presidential Election 2024

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

I just realised the Democrats have missed the primaries. I think their only options are for Biden to step down before the election or hope he doesn't deteriorate in the next year (unlikely) before stepping down after winning the election. Either way, it's not looking good for them. They should have been on the ball, it's not as if it wasn't forseeable!
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:15 am
I just realised the Democrats have missed the primaries. I think their only options are for Biden to step down before the election or hope he doesn't deteriorate in the next year (unlikely) before stepping down after winning the election. Either way, it's not looking good for them. They should have been on the ball, it's not as if it wasn't forseeable!
Derek, we will never see eye to eye.

But, everyone should have seen this coming. Joe was unwell before he became president. The past year has seen him deteriorate beyond belief. Not a situation I ever wanted to see. Regardless of one side or the other.

Nobody in the UK and elsewhere wants Trump back in power.

But, I remember back before he was, Obama was, the BBC did a documentary in PA. A Blackman lost his job, a mile from a steelworks factory. The road outside his house was a mess. Trump won the election and ordered the rebuilding of the road. That road was 285 miles long, all the way to the steel works. In the UK such a build would never happen.

To cut a long story short. That Blackman got a job, back at the steelworks, rose to foreman, now provides for his family.

His family was interviewed by the BBC, once again and asked who they would vote for.

His wife interrupted the BBC journalist and said Mr Trump.

Now, do you, I or any sane person understand that ?, probably not. But it’s the USA, their country, not ours, their decision.

The one thing I do know is that the world is becoming more dangerous every minute. In such a world you need someone that the world is worried about otherwise they will see the west as a joke like the UN.

Trump is allot of things but I was Russia, Israel or North Korea the I would think twice about pissing him off. Unlike Joe who nobody is scared of etc.
arbitrage16

That’s an over reliance an anecdote.

Your logic is also off - world is scary so need more scary man. Did the world feel safer with Obama or with Trump? Who did Putin fear more, Obama or Trump? Not an Obama fan but we don’t have to go very far back to see your argument for Trump fall on its ass.

And you guys don’t do your research - Trump cannot win the next election.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:18 am
Derek27 wrote:

But, everyone should have seen this coming. Joe was unwell before he became president. The past year has seen him deteriorate beyond belief. Not a situation I ever wanted to see. Regardless of one side or the other.

But, I remember back before he was, Obama was, the BBC did a documentary in PA. A Blackman lost his job, a mile from a steelworks factory. The road outside his house was a mess. Trump won the election and ordered the rebuilding of the road. That road was 285 miles long, all the way to the steel works. In the UK such a build would never happen.

To cut a long story short. That Blackman got a job, back at the steelworks, rose to foreman, now provides for his family.

His family was interviewed by the BBC, once again and asked who they would vote for.

Now, do you, I or any sane person understand that ?, probably not. But it’s the USA, their country, not ours, their decision.

The one thing I do know is that the world is becoming more dangerous every minute. In such a world you need someone that the world is worried about otherwise they will see the west as a joke like the UN.

Trump is allot of things but I was Russia, Israel or North Korea the I would think twice about pissing him off. Unlike Joe who nobody is scared of etc.
The solution to all that is democracy. Every other political model hasn't worked better so far.
And that is why Trump should fail and Putin is failing.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:21 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

The solution to all that is democracy. Every other political model hasn't worked better so far.
How is Putin failing as every other contender is banned from standing against him plus he is about to call up 500,000 to send to Ukraine. That’s allot of manpower even though half will probably do a runner.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:33 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:21 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

How is Putin failing as every other contender is banned from standing against him plus he is about to call up 500,000 to send to Ukraine. That’s allot of manpower even though half will probably do a runner.
Crushing politcal opponents with spurious legality in an election is a failure (for me). It reeks of fear and weakness. Putin is a twat. Plain an simple.
greenmark

Trump advocates Russia to attack non-paying NATO states.
He's shortened to 2.10. FFS the world has gone mad.
sionascaig

greenmark wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:36 pm
Isn't there some rule in America that says if the incumbent isn't mentally there they can be removed? (even if there is, it probably wouldn't apply to candidates - but it definitely should!).
conduirez

sionascaig wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:46 pm
greenmark wrote:
Isn't there some rule in America that says if the incumbent isn't mentally there they can be removed? (even if there is, it probably wouldn't apply to candidates - but it definitely should!).
Definitely the case with forgetful Joe.

I am starting to feel sorry for Biden, because I think he has got some form of dementia, there are now too many lapses of memory for it to be quietly ignored. If he does get in, he will probably be forced to step down before the end of his full term.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
He is just playing to his base who only believe in the USA, don’t have passports, don’t travel overseas and often don’t have a formal education. They couldn’t care less about Ukraine or much else that happens outside of North America. Which is probably more worrying than what Trump said.

IF he does get back in then NATO may well have to be rethought. Of course that would be the big signal that Putin would be hoping for. And China would love it too.

However, the USA does pay allot towards NATO both in money and military hardware/personnel. So his supporters may have a point.

I suspect what might happen is that all the other NATO countries will have to find 1 to 3% each. Although I can’t see the UK, France or Germany paying anymore.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:17 pm
Putin is a twat.
Can you not think of anything stronger? ;)
Derek27

Only just switched on the TV. Got the news from this thread for a change.

Jens Stolenburger says Trump has put American and European soldier's lives at risk.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:49 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:17 pm
Putin is a twat.
Can you not think of anything stronger? ;)
Of course. My sister helps people every day, its her vocation and she's a lifelong feminist and hates the use of female anatomy as a pejorative, but she used the "c" word to describe Putin. I pulled back from that.
Derek27

Sky US correspondent, Martha Kelner says Trump has a more than 50% chance of becoming president. I trust she's got her money on at 2.12.
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:18 pm
Sky US correspondent, Martha Kelner says Trump has a more than 50% chance of becoming president. I trust she's got her money on at 2.12.
If the SC don't take up the Jan 6 case then I can see a really good trading opportunity. It would mean he would be convicted/unlikely cleared before the election.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”