Best strategy for a matched bettor

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Danny Asda wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 pm
@derek I was told get bet matched on both sides, then you either get £2 £5 or £10 if it wins, if it doesn’t win you get zero, I wasn’t told about one side not being matched and the loss Thanks
@goat thanks for advice,I wasn’t really expecting this to be honest. Will look at thread but 211 pages is a lot and I’m not much of a reader. Still got to read the stuff @kai sent yet too. To be honest I didn’t think there was going to be quite so much reading.
That's known as a free bet. How much you win depends on how much you stake. Back £50 at 4.5 and lay £50 at 4.4 and you win £10 if the horse wins (free bet). But if you green-up by laying for £51.14 you win £1.14 regardless of the outcome. If you have to green-up at 4.6 you have to lay for £48.91 and lose £1.09 regardless of the outcome. If the price jumps out to 5.4 you'd lay for £41.67 and lose £8.33, so it's not that straightforward.

Newbies often see scalping and think it's easy but panic and are unprepared when things go wrong, let bets run (including big lay liabilities) hoping that the horse loses and it's only a matter of time before disaster strikes.

I was arbing with bookies for a couple of years (certainly didn't make enough to make a living out of it) and have been gubbed by all bookies I've had an account with. It was great fun while it lasted but arbing and match betting is just free money, it doesn't last for ever, sadly.
goat68

Danny Asda wrote:
@derek I was told get bet matched on both sides, then you either get £2 £5 or £10 if it wins, if it doesn’t win you get zero, I wasn’t told about one side not being matched and the loss Thanks
@goat thanks for advice,I wasn’t really expecting this to be honest. Will look at thread but 211 pages is a lot and I’m not much of a reader. Still got to read the stuff @kai sent yet too. To be honest I didn’t think there was going to be quite so much reading.
Match betting was free money, as that's what "Free Bets/Spins/2Ups" were... This is just so damn hard in comparison
Derek27

Danny Asda wrote:
I don't think goat was expecting you to read the entire thread, but in all honesty, I don't think it will teach you much about trading, I think goat's suggesting you read it to see how hard trading is.
alexmr2

I've done both and the big difference is that in mb you make money on day 1, in trading you can get to year 3, 4 or 5 and still be digging yourself into a bigger red. Trading isn't an easy profitable side hustle because there's a chasm between losing and making something in the long-term.

If you are serious about trading then you need to ask yourself a few questions;

Can I see myself spending thousands of hours looking at charts/data?
Do I have somewhat interest in the sport I will be trading? What if you can't stand watching football for example?
How will I afford the losses/pay my bills? I doubt there are many traders who made it without losing money at the start.

If manual trading doesn't work out then you can always go down the automation route or different markets but there's no easy money here I'm afraid. Whilst there are outliers that find some early success, there are many who have been doing this for years and are still struggling. To assume you can be making a living from this in 6 months, 1 year or even 3 years is a dangerous assumption
goat68

You know on the Matching Betting site I used there was a thread on "Sports Trading", and there was a guy on there with a 3 letter acronym who regularly posted 4figure "greenups" on football, they were BetAngel screenshots, so guess he's on here somewhere....! but I was always doubtful whether they were for real as they seemed so regular, and to be honest i'm still not sure, they could have been real, as Peter posts greenups of that order.
The Silk Run

goat68 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:31 pm
You know on the Matching Betting site I used there was a thread on "Sports Trading", and there was a guy on there with a 3 letter acronym who regularly posted 4figure "greenups" on football, they were BetAngel screenshots, so guess he's on here somewhere....! but I was always doubtful whether they were for real as they seemed so regular, and to be honest i'm still not sure, they could have been real, as Peter posts greenups of that order.
DEX :lol:
Danny Asda

Ok thanks everyone for advice. To be honest, after reading all that, it makes you wonder why anyone bothers lol .
I like @dereks idea where you take some money off the free bet so you win every time, might give that a go. Also I think @riks 2021 system seems promising too. Might try those out first. But it all seems a bit like hard work.
I did some automation with oddsmonkey betfair integration tool, so might have a look at that that might be easier getting an automated program to do it for me Thanks
goat68

The Silk Run wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:42 pm
goat68 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:31 pm
DEX :lol:
Does Dex make that much?
I think it was BBT or something like that, too long ago for me to remember!
goat68

Danny Asda wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:45 pm
Ok thanks everyone for advice. To be honest, after reading all that, it makes you wonder why anyone bothers lol .
I like @dereks idea where you take some money off the free bet so you win every time, might give that a go. Also I think @riks 2021 system seems promising too. Might try those out first. But it all seems a bit like hard work.
I did some automation with oddsmonkey betfair integration tool, so might have a look at that that might be easier getting an automated program to do it for me Thanks
yep, same provider I used...
Kai

Danny Asda wrote:
But it all seems a bit like hard work.
Rik was extremely sarcastic by the way.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you were too, but I still remember my first week in trading :mrgreen:
Danny Asda

How much do guys on here make? Guy in my old group reckons he made 40k 5 years straight MB. I reckon he’s full of shit, as no way he hasn’t been gubbed everywhere by now, though reckons got loads of accounts. He was doing it a bit before me , said bet365 used to give massive bonuses just for joining. I got 21 k first year, was aiming for 20, then hoping to go up to 25. But got 21 k first year, 17 next year, then gubbed everywhere the next lol
Kai

Dunno about others but I'm still waiting on my first green screen :D
alexmr2

Danny Asda wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 pm
How much do guys on here make?
Anywhere from 5 digit losses to multiple 7 figures in profit
Danny Asda wrote:
Guy in my old group reckons he made 40k 5 years straight MB
Probably possible in the earlier days if using multiple accounts
Kai

Danny Asda wrote:
I got 21 k first year, was aiming for 20, then hoping to go up to 25. But got 21 k first year, 17 next year, then gubbed everywhere the next lol
Best part about Betfair is whatever you make you have to give half of it back because of their Premium Charge :) I bet the guy forgot to tell you that part.
Derek27

Danny Asda wrote:
That's not my idea, that's standard practice, most traders green up after every market.

I'm not trying to put you off trading but I should warn you that you've got the wrong attitude by saying "it all seems a bit like hard work". I can assure you it's not a bit like hard work, it really is hard work - a real slog!

I've got to clean my bathroom when I finish trading and I'm under the delusion that it's hard work (it's not really) but that's okay, because I'm not looking for a job as a cleaner. You've got to be enthusiastic with a lot of patience and be prepared to work hard. Forget about matched betting, trading is another world.

Return to “General discussion”