Duke of Edinburgh Passed Away

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:11 pm
What exactly is a day of morning?
It's the bit before midday. A day of mourning is like Easter Good Friday.
Trader Pat

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:28 pm

There's been many people who have annoyed me over the years, but I would never celebrate their death

The tweets I'm seeing have nothing to do with dissatisfaction, and everything to do with hate

Sign of the times we live in unfortunately

It's easier to insult or take the piss than to say nothing
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:19 pm
Will we get another bank holiday, sorry, not very political correct, just asking ?
No, traders don't get time off.
Derek27

LeTiss wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:01 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:49 pm
This country has become infested with a generation who hate their own country
Being born here doesn't mean you have to like it. I'm as British as anyone but looking forward to leaving asap. It's a very Trumpy thing to confuse dissatisfaction with hate.
There's been many people who have annoyed me over the years, but I would never celebrate their death

The tweets I'm seeing have nothing to do with dissatisfaction, and everything to do with hate
Haven't seen the tweets but my theory on people who celebrate the death of people they dislike is that there's one less person to hate but the hate is still there, it doesn't disappear overnight so they direct it at admirers of the deceased to cause upset.

Don't really understand what he could have done to acquire enemies. When someone gets to that age they deserve a bit of leeway over what they say.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:42 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:19 pm
Will we get another bank holiday, sorry, not very political correct, just asking ?
No, traders don't get time off.
:lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:44 pm
LeTiss wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Being born here doesn't mean you have to like it. I'm as British as anyone but looking forward to leaving asap. It's a very Trumpy thing to confuse dissatisfaction with hate.

Haven't seen the tweets but my theory on people who celebrate the death of people they dislike is that there's one less person to hate but the hate is still there, it doesn't disappear overnight so they direct it at admirers of the deceased to cause upset.

Don't really understand what he could have done to acquire enemies. When someone gets to that age they deserve a bit of leeway over what they say.
As we know, what people say behind a keyboard should be treated with a high degree of scepticism.
Personally, he was ok. Non-pc and bluff. But whatever. Duke of Edniburgh scheme, slag that that off if you dare.
Also, I can quite believe he was mortified when he realised his naval career was over, and now he would be second place in his most important relationship.
If i make the insurance industry's tariff of 86, never mind 99, I'll be ecstatic, baffled even.
Anyhow, a life well-lived RIP.
Crazyskier

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:49 pm
It's pretty demoralising reading so many disrespectful tweets

This country has become infested with a generation who hate their own country
Indeed. And it's been encouraged for decades by the woke fools that run the Police, BBC, C4, National Trust and many other of our once world-class institutions.

The way a certain Naga Munchetty (worst of the lot!) smirked and ridiculed a Tory MP recently, who happened to be interviewed at home with a Union flag and picture of Her Majesty the Queen on the wall, makes my blood boil.

They seem to think patriotism, flying the flag, and being a proud Englishman is now somehow racist, despite us being more generous and welcoming to ethnic minorities than almost anywhere else on earth! One only has to watch a TV advert these days to see how 'inclusivity' has gone overboard... I could go on, but won't derail the thread as it's very sad news indeed and only right and proper that those who wish to can express their respect for this great man that contributed so much to Britain. RIP Prince Phillip.

CS
Last edited by Crazyskier on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazyskier

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:11 pm
Dallas wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:07 pm
Heard them say a few hours ago there will be 8 days of national moaning so funeral will almost certainly be on 17th
I thought a day of morning was a public holiday but obviously we're not (or I should say people who work are not) getting 8 days off. What exactly is a day of morning?
*mourning

noun
the expression of sorrow for someone's death
Derek27

No disrespect to Prince Phillip but 25 minutes into the news and all that's seems to have happened in the world today is his passing!
LeTiss

I'm with you Crazyskier
ShaunWhite

'Don't be hateful and mean-spirited' should be a given whoever you are and speaking ill of the (recent) dead is just poor form. But what amuses me are the people who think their country is in anyway special just because they happened to be born there. 'Patriotism' is meaningless but seems to be a new rule the new right have invented.
ShaunWhite

Crazyskier wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:59 pm
The way a certain Naga Munchetty (worst of the lot!) smirked and ridiculed a Tory MP recently, who happened to be interviewed at home with a Union flag and picture of Her Majesty the Queen on the wall, makes my blood boil.
CS
Many many people said it but they weren't brown so you might not have noticed.

The point, if you actually care, was that these people didn't wave the flag last week, and were therefore virtue signalling otherwise they'd have always had them up. The concept of 'patriotism' wasn't under attack, just the duplicity of suddenly using it to appeal to people like you. And it clearly works and you've got yourself all worked up over nothing.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazyskier

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:54 pm
'Don't be hateful and mean-spirited' should be a given whoever you are and speaking ill of the (recent) dead is just poor form. But what amuses me are the people who think their country is in anyway special just because they happened to be born there. 'Patriotism' is meaningless but seems to be a new rule the new right have invented.
No, you completely misunderstand the term, Shaun. It's a shame really.

And as to your point about not having the flag up, how on earth do you know this? Even if you're correct - better late than never!

Also, due to COVID restrictions, people are working from home and may very well have had the flags and Queen's picture etc, moved from the office to the home office.Have you even thought of this possibility before you rush to criticise them?

CS
ShaunWhite

Crazyskier wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:42 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:54 pm
But what amuses me are the people who think their country is in anyway special just because they happened to be born there. 'Patriotism' is meaningless but seems to be a new rule the new right have invented.
No, you completely misunderstand the term, Shaun. It's a shame really.

CS
You were born here so you're a patriotic English Christian, if you'd been born in Tehran you'd be a patriotic Iranian Muslim. Personally I don't think expressing devotion to, or vigorous support for something means anything if it's an accident of birth rather than a conscious impartial decision. What do you think patriotism means? Perhaps I'll see your view if you explain it because bickering over semantics would be silly.
ShaunWhite

Patriotism:
"Patriotism or national pride is the feeling of love, devotion, and sense of attachment to a homeland and alliance with other citizens who share the same sentiment. "

I don't especially love it here.
I'm not devoted to it because of the above.
I have no sense of attachement and feel at home almost anywhere.
Therefore I don't share the same sentiment other patriotic citizens have.

Result. I'm unpatriotic.

But there's no ill-will or hatered involved, or in any way anti-Britsh. Just get over the fact that some people don't love the place like you do. It's not good vs evil, it's just care vs don't especially care.

Return to “Chill Out Area”