Australian Open 2022

Lutruwita

On your bike, Joker. Please boycott the Australian Open and Australia for the rest of your career. Kind regards, 80% of Australia.
Lutruwita

I think the LNP are terminal anyhow, but if Djokovic does play and isn't vaccinated you might as well not have an election this year. Labor might go close to their biggest every victory.

Morrison will know this. After all, this is a government who has won 3 elections largely on the platform of border security and the economy. With the economy narrative smashed with massive deficits and debt (by Australia's standards), negative wage growth and unaffordable housing for anyone under 30, their last area of credibility is border security. So I doubt they will back down.
gazuty

6CFA5C1C-DFFA-4DB6-BAE7-BCDFEBE3DB08.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:15 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:13 pm
The Metro: No-vax Djokovic. :lol:
:lol:

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say "Why didn't I think of that?!" :D
They think they swiped it from the OP of this topic :D
Dallas

Whatever happens this is going to be a interesting test case going forward for 2022, and sport may well become an unwitting international political pawn.
Australia just happen to be hosting the first major international tournament of any sport but as we get into 2022 this could be the route a lot of other countries go down

If Macron is re-elected (or he may even put it in place before then) I can't see him allowing unvaccinated sports men/women in, especially in light of his recent comments and there are several other countries who are also on the verge of mandating vaccines to some degree
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:59 pm
Officials announce ALL players must be vaccinated to compete in the upcoming Aus open, which throws the spot light whether Novak Djokovic (couldn't pick a better name lol) will be able to defend his title.
That's now as appropriate as Frank Beard's name is ironic. :D
Trader Pat

Dallas wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:56 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:15 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:13 pm
The Metro: No-vax Djokovic. :lol:
:lol:

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say "Why didn't I think of that?!" :D
They think they swiped it from the OP of this topic :D
Ah :lol:

I should have known you'd be ahead of the curve :D
Trader Pat

The whole Djokovic situation is starting to go batshit. The Serbian government have been making this political and now Djokovic's father is wheeling out the nationalist BS.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -on-serbia

Lots of dangerous rhetoric being spouted.
sionascaig

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:28 pm
The whole Djokovic situation is starting to go batshit. The Serbian government have been making this political and now Djokovic's father is wheeling out the nationalist BS.

Very worrying, especially when you consider that WW1 was started by some dude called Archie who shot an ostrich because he was hungry - according to Baldrick...
Trader Pat

sionascaig wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:51 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Very worrying, especially when you consider that WW1 was started by some dude called Archie who shot an ostrich because he was hungry - according to Baldrick...
Indeed :D

Not sure what the "cunning plan" is here though. Free Novak or something more?! Maybe his old man fancies a run at politics.
The dog of ry

Interesting interview with an Immigration Lawyer this morning suggesting a judge may rule he can stay here until his case can be heard in coming weeks, and be free to play the Aus Open...

Not quite sure why he would be allowed out in public, but that will make for an interesting tournament...
Trader Pat

The dog of ry wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:28 am
Interesting interview with an Immigration Lawyer this morning suggesting a judge may rule he can stay here until his case can be heard in coming weeks, and be free to play the Aus Open...

Not quite sure why he would be allowed out in public, but that will make for an interesting tournament...
The whole situation is as clear as mud. Other players have been granted exemptions (but we don't know who they are), have their exemptions been revoked as well? I think Djokovic made a mistake by announcing he'd been granted an exemption before he was even in the country. That would rightly piss off a lot of Australians. So I think it's partly a political reaction to public sentiment but questions need to be asked of the powers that be too. They said in November there would be no exemptions and every player would need to be fully vaccinated to play but they did a complete 180 on that.

His appeal is due to be heard on Monday morning so I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up playing. If he does the crowds reaction will be compulsive viewing as much as the tennis itself.
Derek27

Vanessa Baffoe said Djokovic is being imprisoned by idiots ..... until I realised she's quoting his father's words. :lol:
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:02 am
sionascaig wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:51 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Indeed :D

Not sure what the "cunning plan" is here though. Free Novak or something more?! Maybe his old man fancies a run at politics.
The Balkans region overall has very vocal anti-vax brigades, not surprised Novax Djokovic is one of thems. The level of thickness is frankly disturbing.

And what's even more disturbing is the rise of deepfake technology lul : https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/14 ... mp4?tag=12
Kai

gazuty wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:00 am
6CFA5C1C-DFFA-4DB6-BAE7-BCDFEBE3DB08.jpeg
Have you seen The Terminal with Tom Hanks :D Perhaps worth a rewatch after this.

Return to “Tennis Trading”