AFCON 2021

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:51 pm
For me the best team in the tournament wins the championship but questions will be asked as to how Mane was still on the pitch to take the winning penalty. Should have had a second yellow card for diving in extra time. Also Salah should have taken the first or second pen in the shootout but as it was didn't get the chance to take one at all. Wanted the glory but ends up in tears.

For Liverpool though I think this is the best result. A great boost for Mane's confidence going forward and Salah has the mentality to use this disappointment as fuel.
Then again Mane is coveted by many and this will only fuel their enthusiasm. With Salah, I really don't know. He's been a bit grumpy, but seems to have become happier recently, although he was clearly distraught at the end of that game. In any case the window has shut so LFC have them both until the summer.
Quite what will happen then, who knows. Have LFC regained the clout to find/attract the next Mane/Salah? Thats what worries me. Never mind the whole Klopp heading for the exit. I guess it's just enjoy it while it lasts.
Is my cup half empty? :-)
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:19 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
For me the best team in the tournament wins the championship but questions will be asked as to how Mane was still on the pitch to take the winning penalty. Should have had a second yellow card for diving in extra time. Also Salah should have taken the first or second pen in the shootout but as it was didn't get the chance to take one at all. Wanted the glory but ends up in tears.

For Liverpool though I think this is the best result. A great boost for Mane's confidence going forward and Salah has the mentality to use this disappointment as fuel.
Then again Mane is coveted by many and this will only fuel their enthusiasm. With Salah, I really don't know. He's been a bit grumpy, but seems to have become happier recently, although he was clearly distraught at the end of that game. In any case the window has shut so LFC have them both until the summer.
Quite what will happen then, who knows. Have LFC regained the clout to find/attract the next Mane/Salah? Thats what worries me. Never mind the whole Klopp heading for the exit. I guess it's just enjoy it while it lasts.
I get what you're saying but I wouldn't be opposed to somebody coming in and taking Mane off our hands for 70-80m in the summer.

I was neutral for the game tonight but it showcased a wider problem in football and that's refs wanting to be the players friend rather than giving out cards. With another ref that game could have finished with 2-3 red cards.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:19 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't be opposed to somebody coming in and taking Mane off our hands for 70-80m in the summer.

I was neutral for the game tonight but it showcased a wider problem in football and that's refs wanting to be the players friend rather than giving out cards. With another ref that game could have finished with 2-3 red cards.
Got distracted during that game by phonecalls, food, etc, so can't comment. But I would say Kellehars tackle v Cardiff was a red, because it was uncontrolled and made definiite contact and could have been a whole lot worse and I really don't know why VAR on review didn't convert that yellow into a red. But there you go. Unlike rugby VAR sit in their ivory tower and there is no info put into the public domain, other than the final decision.
But perhaps this defines the difference between football and rugby audiences. Rugby fans will fume and discuss, football fans will riot. Oops, a bit footbalist there! :-)
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:14 am
Got distracted during that game by phonecalls, food, etc, so can't comment. But I would say Kellehars tackle v Cardiff was a red, because it was uncontrolled and made definiite contact and could have been a whole lot worse and I really don't know why VAR on review didn't convert that yellow into a red.
Yeah that COULD easily have been red and if it was given then nobody could really complain. But Sadio's was a nailed on dive. He was on a yellow and got into the opposition penalty area then hit the deck with zero contact.

greenmark wrote:
But there you go. Unlike rugby VAR sit in their ivory tower and there is no info put into the public domain, other than the final decision.
But perhaps this defines the difference between football and rugby audiences. Rugby fans will fume and discuss, football fans will riot. Oops, a bit footbalist there! :-)
Another difference is rugby fans won't invade the pitch and try to attack the opponent if they score a try! Did you see the Forest - Leicester game today? :)
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:19 am
greenmark wrote:
Got distracted during that game by phonecalls, food, etc, so can't comment. But I would say Kellehars tackle v Cardiff was a red, because it was uncontrolled and made definiite contact and could have been a whole lot worse and I really don't know why VAR on review didn't convert that yellow into a red.
Yeah that COULD easily have been red and if it was given then nobody could really complain. But Sadio's was a nailed on dive. He was on a yellow and got into the opposition penalty area then hit the deck with zero contact.

greenmark wrote:
But there you go. Unlike rugby VAR sit in their ivory tower and there is no info put into the public domain, other than the final decision.
Another difference is rugby fans won't invade the pitch and try to attack the opponent if they score a try! Did you see the Forest - Leicester game today? :)
And also attacking an elite rugby player can only end one way. :-)
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:32 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:19 am
greenmark wrote:

greenmark wrote:
And also attacking an elite rugby player can only end one way. :-)
Yep :D

Return to “Football trading”