Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

Now I hear our Trident submarines are way past their best before date. We are fucked. :lol:
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:06 am
Now I hear our Trident submarines are way past their best before date. We are fucked. :lol:
It’s around £80 billion to replace the trident subs. Basically we haven’t got the funds to get anywhere close. As you say, we fucked. But that’s why a deal was done with the USA for them to move nukes back to the UK. Those will be land based and aircraft launched. The only question there is who has overall governance if they to be deployed etc. 🤔
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:33 pm
Derek27 wrote:
It’s around £80 billion to replace the trident subs. Basically we haven’t got the funds to get anywhere close. As you say, we fucked. But that’s why a deal was done with the USA for them to move nukes back to the UK. Those will be land based and aircraft launched. The only question there is who has overall governance if they to be deployed etc. 🤔
I'm sure they'd need UK permission to launch them, but I guess they'd get it in any circumstance.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:56 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:33 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I'm sure they'd need UK permission to launch them, but I guess they'd get it in any circumstance.
Well I could be wrong but if they held on US bases based in the UK then they might not need our permission as it might be deemed US soil. A bit like Embassies etc. But no idea really. Hopefully a US president can’t remote launch nukes in different countries (Trump) as there trajectory launch could be tracked and Russia return like for like back to that location. At least with submarine launched ones they can get the hell out of there location and dive quickly. Any return fire would be contained apart allot of dead fish etc.
Derek27

Lawyer who represented Navalny arrested in Moscow. Next, the lawyer representing him will get arrested, followed by the lawyer representing him...
Archery1969

Hungry unblocked their stance to Sweden joining NATO. Once Finland joins, Putin likely to know things are lost and potentially do the unthinkable.

Forget the outcome of the next general election, the UK in some shape or form will be heading for WW3.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:25 pm
Hungry unblocked their stance to Sweden joining NATO. Once Finland joins, Putin likely to know things are lost and potentially do the unthinkable.

Forget the outcome of the next general election, the UK in some shape or form will be heading for WW3.
Sweden and Finland join NATO and Putin "knows things are lost".
Really? Biggest country in the world. Largest population on the European continent.
Yes, Putin must be quaking in his boots and will pull the trigger to go out in a conflagration that could kill him and most of his people.
In any case, people more clever than me and thee stand between Putin and the nuke button.
Nuclear is still a deterrent but only to deter a nuclear attack. It has had no effect on conventional military violence.
Archery1969

Times Radio has reported that leaked Russian papers show Putin was going to use tactical nukes but backed down after pressure from China. Putin is looking more like a rat backed into a corner but may at some point ignore China and go ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boRAOc0iqAQ
ANGELS15

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:34 pm
Times Radio has reported that leaked Russian papers show Putin was going to use tactical nukes but backed down after pressure from China. Putin is looking more like a rat backed into a corner but may at some point ignore China and go ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boRAOc0iqAQ
It's likely only a matter of time before tactical nukes are used. As I understand they have a limited yield and are designed more to take out idividual districts or a have a more localised effect. I believe the naval equivalents are designed to take out aircraft carriers.
Derek27

Tactical nukes would be crossing a red line and open the door to full-scale nuclear war. I recall Michael Clarke saying the Ukrainians are experts at spreading out their army to reduce vulnerability to such weapons and assembling when needed. When they join NATO they'll be training us!
Derek27

Russians forced to listen to Putin talk for two hours. :lol:
Archery1969

Finland's Defence Minister, Antti Hakkanen, said Ukraine should use weapons provided by Helsinki to strike targets “inside” Russia.

Well, that's easy for them to say, as Finland can house 85% of its population in modern nuclear bunkers. In comparison, the UK can't even house 0.01%.

:o
Archery1969

For those that didn't know, the UK/US has a joint Ballistic Missile warning base located at RAF Fylindale in the UK.

Below is a short 5 minute film about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5Woh3jPjc

PS. I wouldn't go sightseeing there as your more than likely to get shot. :lol:
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 am
For those that didn't know, the UK/US has a joint Ballistic Missile warning base located at RAF Fylindale in the UK.

I think I may have walked past that base when I walked the Cleveland Way. If it wasn't that one, it certainly had a lot of radar/satellite dishes.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:34 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 am

I think I may have walked past that base when I walked the Cleveland Way. If it wasn't that one, it certainly had a lot of radar/satellite dishes.
It looks a very strange structure Derek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Chill Out Area”