Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Kai

There was an interesting podcast from Jake Broe and Paul Massaro recently : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJplZAGYwqo

Seen the first 25 mins and it's the best insight into the whole situation I've seen yet
greenmark

napshnap wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 am
greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:01 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:14 pm

Agreed but I don’t remember the USA publicly admitting to it. Presume they don’t give a toss. 😂
I assumed it too. These are assets we can provide without putting boots on the ground. I have no experience of combat. But I've watched international politics for decades. We are now in a "cold war" scenario, but if Putin was genuinely nuts he would have flipped already. He is evidently trying to figure out how to "win" without unleashing a conflagration.
One thing that is now evident is that the Russian armed forces are poorly equipped, incompetent, unmotivated, demoralised and that should rebound on Putin. His 2 weapons are nukes and control of the media, neither is a long term solution for anyone.

I assumed it too. These are assets we can provide without putting boots on the ground. I have no experience of combat. But I've watched international politics for decades.
Talking beyond the conspiratorial/spectacle narrative and given your rich experience in observing international politics - have there been precedents before when partners of many international and economic unions, military alliance (!!!), sharing a common ideology, same values, in the context of globalisation connectedness, attacked (bombed) the infrastructure of another partner (I'm not talking about Russia here), causing it economic damage, making it pay 4-fold more, ensnare its industry?

Sorry to ask, I'm just curious of this ethical tightrope-walking act of yours.
His 2 weapons are ... control of the media, neither is a long term solution for anyone.
Way more than that, the man and his administration control the gov which controls at least 70% of countrie's economy (these are estimates before the start of the conflict) and is a dominant employer in Russia. This all-encompassing, permeating structure has been built up over the years. It's "soviet union 1.5".
"have there been precedents before when partners of many international and economic unions, military alliance (!!!), sharing a common ideology, same values, in the context of globalisation connectedness, attacked (bombed) the infrastructure of another partner ".

Can only think of Iraq tbh, but I'll listen to other examples. The only reason NATO hasn't gone into Ukraine is they don't want to escalate the situation. Putin is not Saddam. That's crystal clear. Quite what spring will bring remains to be seen. But in a couple of months the anniversary of the beginning of the "special operation" will arrive and the preesure on Putin will go up a notch. Nobody wants to confront a cornered rat.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:55 pm
napshnap wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 am
greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:01 am

I assumed it too. These are assets we can provide without putting boots on the ground. I have no experience of combat. But I've watched international politics for decades. We are now in a "cold war" scenario, but if Putin was genuinely nuts he would have flipped already. He is evidently trying to figure out how to "win" without unleashing a conflagration.
One thing that is now evident is that the Russian armed forces are poorly equipped, incompetent, unmotivated, demoralised and that should rebound on Putin. His 2 weapons are nukes and control of the media, neither is a long term solution for anyone.

I assumed it too. These are assets we can provide without putting boots on the ground. I have no experience of combat. But I've watched international politics for decades.
Talking beyond the conspiratorial/spectacle narrative and given your rich experience in observing international politics - have there been precedents before when partners of many international and economic unions, military alliance (!!!), sharing a common ideology, same values, in the context of globalisation connectedness, attacked (bombed) the infrastructure of another partner (I'm not talking about Russia here), causing it economic damage, making it pay 4-fold more, ensnare its industry?

Sorry to ask, I'm just curious of this ethical tightrope-walking act of yours.
His 2 weapons are ... control of the media, neither is a long term solution for anyone.
Way more than that, the man and his administration control the gov which controls at least 70% of countrie's economy (these are estimates before the start of the conflict) and is a dominant employer in Russia. This all-encompassing, permeating structure has been built up over the years. It's "soviet union 1.5".
"have there been precedents before when partners of many international and economic unions, military alliance (!!!), sharing a common ideology, same values, in the context of globalisation connectedness, attacked (bombed) the infrastructure of another partner ".

Can only think of Iraq tbh, but I'll listen to other examples. The only reason NATO hasn't gone into Ukraine is they don't want to escalate the situation. Putin is not Saddam. That's crystal clear. Quite what spring will bring remains to be seen. But in a couple of months the anniversary of the beginning of the "special operation" will arrive and the preesure on Putin will go up a notch. Nobody wants to confront a cornered rat.
If and it’s a big if, it looks like Ukraine will lose then the west will have to decide to counter a cornered rat. Damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If they don’t then Putin and China will know the world is their oyster.

I said it back in Feb 2022, you need to take Putin out and take the risk. How many lives and money as been lost since ?

If the west shows any kind of weakness then you might as well call it a day, give up and start learning Russian or Chinese.

In my book, destroy them both with overwhelming force asap or put up with much more conveniences.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:44 pm

If and it’s a big if, it looks like Ukraine will lose then the west will have to decide to counter a cornered rat. Damned if they do and damned if they don’t. If they don’t then Putin and China will know the world is their oyster.

I said it back in Feb 2022, you need to take Putin out and take the risk. How many lives and money as been lost since ?

If the west shows any kind of weakness then you might as well call it a day, give up and start learning Russian or Chinese.

In my book, destroy them both with overwhelming force asap or put up with much more conveniences.
With senior US military officers not ruling out extraterrestrials in the skies over the USA, the Chinese will be pissing themselves laughing.

Extraterrestrials, my arse!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:13 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

With senior US military officers not ruling out extraterrestrials in the skies over the USA, the Chinese will be pissing themselves laughing.

That is one of the most bizarre media developments of my life.
The idea of an extraterrestrial intelligence capabable of positioning monitoring devices in our atmosphere without thinking "Fuck me they're all nuts" makes laugh as hard some of the Derek and Clive tapes I have.
napshnap

greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:23 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:13 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

That is one of the most bizarre media developments of my life.
The idea of an extraterrestrial intelligence capabable of positioning monitoring devices in our atmosphere without thinking "Fuck me they're all nuts" makes laugh as hard some of the Derek and Clive tapes I have.
Remember my post where I said they can nuke someone and blame ufo? We laughed then.
Derek27

Hans Stolenburger calling for an increase in artillery production, it's being used far quicker than being produced.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:04 pm
Hans Stolenburger calling for an increase in artillery production, it's being used far quicker than being produced.
Ukraine is using more ammo in a week than the US can produce in a month.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:55 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Which suggests Russia is in the same boat. Let's hope they both run out at the same and have to resort to a pillow fight between Zelensky and Putin. Then everyone can go back to making things people need rather than things that kill.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:30 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Which suggests Russia is in the same boat. Let's hope they both run out at the same and have to resort to a pillow fight between Zelensky and Putin. Then everyone can go back to making things people need rather than things that kill.
Russia has enough ammo to last for years. They're not fussed about civilian casualties so their MO is relentless bombing and they have a production line to match. They're running out of missiles and precision munitions but they have the capacity to produce more artillery shells.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Ukraine wont run out, just been announced by NATO that Australia will ramp up ammo production + Italy, France and Norway to send more air defence systems.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:30 pm
greenmark wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

Russia has enough ammo to last for years. They're not fussed about civilian casualties so their MO is relentless bombing and they have a production line to match. They're running out of missiles and precision munitions but they have the capacity to produce more artillery shells.
I'd like us all to make the distinction between Russians and Putin's regime. Russia after all did give Ukraine it's soveriegnty, The fact Putin and his kleptocratic oligarchy has gone wonky isn't anything to do with beinng Russian. I believe the younger people are pretty miffed about the "special operation". So perhaps there is hope.
greenmark

The irony of this astounds me.

Lukashenko warns Belarus will join Russia in war if attacked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64664560
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:04 pm
The irony of this astounds me.

Lukashenko warns Belarus will join Russia in war if attacked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64664560
He's only saying that because he knows it won't happen. It's his way of trying to support Putin without getting involved.
Derek27

Starmer preparing for his role as PM by visiting Kyiv. :)

Return to “Chill Out Area”