UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archery1969

People, Immigration is a big problem on the south coast. Yes, they would rather kick a person from overseas than dog or cat down the street. You may not like it but that is the way it is. What you going to do, lock them all up. I doubt as you would need to lock up tens of thousands and the UK prison system doesn't have the space or capacity.

The tories might be doing a complete fuck up of the situation but I dont hear Labour or any muppet on this forum giving a viable suggestion.

I am in the same camp as most on the south coast, we dont want them here, we not paying for them, housing them or allowing them to use our schools, GP surgeries or access to any other public finances.

Send them all to Scotland and then build a flipping big wall as they wont be allowed to come south.

There, I have said it. So fuck off.
firlandsfarm

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:04 pm
People, Immigration is a big problem on the south coast. Yes, they would rather kick a person from overseas than dog or cat down the street. You may not like it but that is the way it is. What you going to do, lock them all up. I doubt as you would need to lock up tens of thousands and the UK prison system doesn't have the space or capacity.

The tories might be doing a complete fuck up of the situation but I dont hear Labour or any muppet on this forum giving a viable suggestion.

I am in the same camp as most on the south coast, we dont want them here, we not paying for them, housing them or allowing them to use our schools, GP surgeries or access to any other public finances.

Send them all to Scotland and then build a flipping big wall as they wont be allowed to come south.

I mainly agree in principle except I'm not sure there is a solution and Labour know that which is why they don't have an assessable policy but can use it as a means to constantly criticise The Government. When the numbers get too large the normal means of control fail and new approaches need to be tried and the rules governing how these new approaches are policed by the Courts also need to be changed to facilitate.

I heard recently some claiming that the gangs go out and about in Europe looking for people who want to get to the UK and can afford the fee the gangs charge. They offer them 'assisted' passage to Calais. Makes sense ... find a couple of punters a few hundred miles or more away and drive them to Calais.

As for paying for them that should be down to the 'Linekerlikes'.
firlandsfarm

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:14 am
Archery1969 wrote:

I mainly agree in principle except I'm not sure there is a solution and Labour know that which is why they don't have an assessable policy but can use it as a means to constantly criticise The Government. When the numbers get too large the normal means of control fail and new approaches need to be tried and the rules governing how these new approaches are policed by the Courts also need to be changed to facilitate.

I heard recently some claiming that the gangs go out and about in Europe looking for people who want to get to the UK and can afford the fee the gangs charge. They offer them 'assisted' passage to Calais. Makes sense ... find a couple of punters a few hundred miles or more away and drive them to Calais. No doubt the 'finder' gets paid a commission. A nicer little earner for a fellow 'illegal' who easily gets the trust of the punter.

As for paying for them that should be down to the 'Linekerlikes'.
sionascaig

Archery1969 wrote:

I'd vote they go into conservative constituencies as they caused the problem & failed to resolve the issue - what better incentive?

Seriously if you thought (and I don't mean you specifically) voting for Johnson or Truss was a good idea then should reap what you sow...

edit - of course it would be a lot easier if they could just process them faster !
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
I have. £300M has been spent on a scheme that a) is doomed for failure and b) even if it did work it would only be an answer for a few hundred asylum seekers a year.

How much would it cost to employ an extra officer to process the backlog, or how many people could you employ for that money?
firlandsfarm

Many critics of the Government seem to think processing the applications solves the problem, it doesn't. It simply moves them to the next (insolvable?) step of what do you do with those you reject? Critics of the Government's policy either haven't thought this far or conveniently fail to take their policy to that stage! Guaranteed France will not want them back and if their passports and other documents (if any) are at the bottom of the English Channel where do we send them back to and will they be welcomed back? I expect the lawyers are queuing up to file their 'dangerous to deport them back to XYZ' actions!

Some say Labour will do a deal with France. Really! That comes from the same cloud cuckoo land as renegotiating a better trade deal with the EU. France has set up controls at it's border with Italy to stop intending migrants from entering France so do they really think that a country stopping them entering one door will be keen to stop them leaving through another door? France will pay lip service to stopping them crossing the Channel while they bank our money.

This problem is not one of processing, it is one of what do you do after you have processed applications and stopping arrivals for the future. The Rwanda policy is the only one that seeks to tackle the 'after processing' problem.

The problem, critics find it easier to criticise than put forward a workable solution. It's all well and good processing them but that leaves you with one of two outcomes ... allow them to stay or don't deport them!
firlandsfarm

sionascaig wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:33 am
I'd vote they go into conservative constituencies as they caused the problem & failed to resolve the issue - what better incentive?
My vote would be to stuff them into the constituencies of the LL Lawyers, Judges and the Linekerlikes who are happy for them to stay.
Derek27

PMQ descending into mud slinging.
Derek27

Chris Bryant: What's worse, losing your WhatsApp messages as a tech pro, losing £11.8 billion to fraud as a chancellor, presiding over the biggest fall in living standards in our history, or desperately clinging on to power when you've become even less popular than Boris Johnson? :lol:
greenmark

Just listening to a podcast interview by Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart with Angela Rayner.
Stewart just described Johnson as someone that he detests and is "a terrible human being".
Sure, we're talking about an unsuccessful prospective PM. But neverthless Tory infighting and this kind of criticism are
beginning to inform the outcome of the next GE.
There are too many critical voices.
And the killer issue has yet to be let loose by Labour.
Brexit has failed to deliver any economic benefit or "control of our borders". And that's because Labour has no solution either.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:03 pm
Just listening to a podcast interview by Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart with Angela Rayner.
Stewart just described Johnson as someone that he detests and is "a terrible human being".
Sure, we're talking about an unsuccessful prospective PM. But neverthless Tory infighting and this kind of criticism are
Brexit has failed to deliver any economic benefit or "control of our borders". And that's because Labour has no solution either.
I think I only started calling him a buffoon because of Rory Stewart. :D
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:26 pm
Rory Stewart: A liar, a showman, a buffoon, a rank incompetence, and probably the most shameful prime minister that Britain has ever had, and somebody the likes of whom I pray we will never see again.

Good summary Rory. :D
The Silk Run

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:08 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:03 pm
I think I only started calling him a buffoon because of Rory Stewart. :D
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:26 pm
Rory Stewart: A liar, a showman, a buffoon, a rank incompetence, and probably the most shameful prime minister that Britain has ever had, and somebody the likes of whom I pray we will never see again.

Good summary Rory. :D
Public school boy 'Eton Mess' !!!!
The Silk Run

At least with Communism their policies are very, very clear. You know exactly what to expect !!! It works for me ....
Archery1969

Can’t wait for April 22nd. Counting the days. :)
firlandsfarm

The Silk Run wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:47 pm
Public school boy 'Eton Mess' !!!!
Yes but never forget his entrance to Eton was because he won a scholarship and not because he bought his way in!

Return to “Political betting & arguing”