UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

Former home secretary David Blunder says the Xmas strikes will cost £4B and could cost Labour the next election! Is he blind??
Derek27

Doctors may be going on strike now. Any medical problems and you could be seeing a soldier about it!
Derek27

Sunak says he's proud of his modern slavery system!!!
Derek27

Army now required to manage highways and carry out driving tests. :)
Derek27

You can add running the DWP to the army's list of tasks. Let's hope war doesn't break out as there won't be anyone left for defence. :)
Derek27

If you have a category 2 accident you might be waiting 12 hours for an ambulance. The only comforting thought is that if your condition deteriorates to category 1, you could be picked up in as little as 3 hours. :)
Euler

There has been so much money pumped into the NHS it's clear that just pumping more money into the NHS isn't going to work. It needs top to bottom reform.

If they, let's say, get a 20% wage rise, that also does nothing to solve the issue. It just makes the service more expensive and less efficient.

Strikes always feel like blackmail to me, I realise workers have rights and so on, but no sure mass strikes achieve much. I've always worked in the private sector where you get few benefits, no guarantees about anything, including your pension and only way to get a wage rise is often to get another job, sometimes outside of the company.

It's tough, yet when you try and impose the similar conditions on the public sector it's somehow grossly unfair.

Not saying either are correct and so on, but there just has to be a better way.
sionascaig

You could argue that the conservatives have deliberately run down the NHS to get it into the situation you describe - reform needed... Under the Blair government the focus was on customer outcomes and had record low waiting times / customer satisfaction...

Now its been run down so much, e.g. almost no capital investment for last ten years there are no winners (apart maybe for those arguing for reform - the argument now a lot stronger)..

Hard to see how some form of insurance model doesn't figure in the solution though.

If you had managed BA the same way the gov has handled the NHS I doubt there would be many subscribers left )
Euler

I've always argued against things that are free because they are not valued and often misused. I'm not saying you need to charge for things or incentivise that, but if you add a nudge to the cost of services you could save billions and increase efficiency dramatically.

Maybe give everybody vouchers or something that they can 'spend' by booking an appointment or something. I don't know the detail as I haven't thought it through.

But if you look at plastic bag usage, it was a real problem until you asked people to pay 10p, then usage collapsed. This is what I'm trying to say, introduce a nudge and you could improve things dramatically.

People talk about 'cuts' but in outright and real terms the NHS budget has been on an upward path under successive governments, but it's never solved anything. At it's current rate of compounding it will end up mstching the entire national income eventually. But every politician just kicks the can down the road as it's not a vote winner.
Derek27

Chief Executive of Ambulance Services reassures us that if you need an ambulance tomorrow they will respond as normal, that's 12 hours. :)

And if you've got a category 4 emergency, e.g. vomiting, they'll treat it as even less urgent. :lol:

Who's ever called an ambulance for vomiting? I used to do it twice a week when I was younger. :lol: :lol:
Derek27

Try not to have an accident this week and FFS, don't go to the races and be selfish enough to request the racecourse ambulance if you have a heart attack! It's no more than a 3-hour wait until the last race and that's small by today's standards. :)
Derek27

Food Aid (feed the UK) is the Christmas No. 1. How things have changed in 38 years and what a legacy for Truss and co to round off the year. :lol: :lol:
Derek27

Sunak says he's confident of better times ahead. So would I be with my new swimming pool installed!
Derek27

Doctors call Sunak "delusional" after he denied the NHS is in crisis. :lol:
Derek27

Sunak's gonna make it compulsory to study maths until the age of 18.....if you choose to stay on in school!

Return to “Political betting & arguing”