A place to discuss anything.
jimibt

conduirez wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:24 pm
jimibt wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:02 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:43 pm

> A credit file check to look for any serious red flags such as bankruptcy or history of unpaid debts. Will NOT consider postcode or occupation info.
> Max one check every 12 months.
this is still not great. for anyone (such as myself) that does everything to avoid credit file checks (such as paying insurance in a single lump sum, rather than thro monthly instalments via credit providers), it's still an unnecessary bit of uninvited snooping ...
F**king nosey trash woke politicians. I don't give a damn, if someone cannot control themselves,

I pay tax and NI for the government to treat people who get in trouble who cannot control themselves, not to start looking at mine or others finances.

If we ever need to deposit funds the woke w**kers are going to have me and most of you guys means tested.
far more eloquently put than i could have :)
jamesedwards

jimibt wrote:
jamesedwards wrote:

> A credit file check to look for any serious red flags such as bankruptcy or history of unpaid debts. Will NOT consider postcode or occupation info.
this is still not great. for anyone (such as myself) that does everything to avoid credit file checks (such as paying insurance in a single lump sum, rather than thro monthly instalments via credit providers), it's still an unnecessary bit of uninvited snooping ...
I'm afraid you'll find that boat has sailed. These days almost anything financial that you do involves a soft credit search. You will probably have been searched just for getting an insurance quote, let alone taking out a policy. Check the soft searches section of your credit file.
jimibt

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:29 pm
jimibt wrote:
jamesedwards wrote:

I'm afraid you'll find that boat has sailed. These days almost anything financial that you do involves a soft credit search. You will probably have been searched just for getting an insurance quote, let alone taking out a policy. Check the soft searches section of your credit file.
yeah -just did that and saw about 6 recent soft credit checks generated via comparethemarket (looking at quotes). as far s i know, soft checks do not affect in the same way. however, it does still annoy me that even when just perusing quotes you get this soft flag attached.. don't get conduirez started tho :D
jamesedwards

jimibt wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:40 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
jimibt wrote:

yeah -just did that and saw about 6 recent soft credit checks generated via comparethemarket (looking at quotes). as far s i know, soft checks do not affect in the same way. however, it does still annoy me that even when just perusing quotes you get this soft flag attached.. don't get conduirez started tho :D
The bookie searches will be soft also. They won't affect your score or be visible to 3rd parties.
Safeway

So if I'm reading this correctly........this is all about deposits to your account? There are no police checking to see that you are a competent, disciplined gambler with an edge who is making steady profits?

Going to extremes, are we saying that £5k a month being deposited is OK even if you blow it all on a bad greyhound straight away.........every month?

I ask because there is enough pressure on us to avoid losses and produce profits without having to jump through somebody else's hoops in a bid to avoid prohibition.
jimibt

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:51 pm
jimibt wrote:
jamesedwards wrote:

The bookie searches will be soft also. They won't affect your score or be visible to 3rd parties.
.. got it.. tnx!
jamesedwards

Safeway wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:03 pm
So if I'm reading this correctly........this is all about deposits to your account? There are no police checking to see that you are a competent, disciplined gambler with an edge who is making steady profits?

Going to extremes, are we saying that £5k a month being deposited is OK even if you blow it all on a bad greyhound straight away.........every month?

I ask because there is enough pressure on us to avoid losses and produce profits without having to jump through somebody else's hoops in a bid to avoid prohibition.
Yeah, looks like the legislative part of affordability checks will be based on "net deposits" rather than the more ambiguous "losses" language used before.

That doesn't mean your bookie won't still assess your account based on losses if they identify risk. They are specifically obliged to keep an eye out for other ad hoc red flags like loss-chasing etc.
conduirez

jimibt wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:04 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:51 pm
jimibt wrote:

.. got it.. tnx!
I realise these are starting out as soft searches, but I am losing faith in the system and feel this will grow in to a monster.

People might not be aware another little change to legislation crept through last year, The Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Act 2023, if you are suspected of Money Laundering details can now be shared between companies, a good thing maybe but not if you are innocent (why don't they just tell the police instead of sharing), this link will let you see what was added.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... g-measures

If Betfair who are in the AML sector close your account because you can not verify where the money for a deposit came from to their satisfaction, they can share that they have closed your account for this reason, to other companies.
wearthefoxhat

Some common sense applied with soft checks on potential problem gamblers/poor money management (ex-bankrupt, IVA agreements, loss chasing, poor credit scores)

Still not sure how cash betting in betting shops will be affected. Asking for payslips and bank statements was a dumb idea!

Rumour mill is, eventually, betting shops will be cashless, resulting in the way the recent reports' soft checks on each customer, once their identity is known, along with address...etc (assuming the customer complies)

Then there's the racecourse cash betting, no idea how that will be dealt with. In the future, I can see a switch to a tote only set up along with identity cards..etc

More I think about it, it's a bit of a shit-show one way or another.
Safeway

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:29 pm
Yeah, looks like the legislative part of affordability checks will be based on "net deposits" rather than the more ambiguous "losses" language used before.

That doesn't mean your bookie won't still assess your account based on losses if they identify risk. They are specifically obliged to keep an eye out for other ad hoc red flags like loss-chasing etc.
[/quote]

Thanks James....yeah good news....I can see that most of us may have a future doing this....if Betfair or some other exchange are happy to run with us.

It's absolutely insane though. A guy or girl who needs to keep a few hundred to put food on the table for the kids can blow it all on the previously mentioned 'bad greyhound.' They don't chase the loss because they haven't got the money to and when they get paid they can do it again next month and the month after. Who exactly is this protecting?

I don't want my P&L to be scrutinised so I'm happy but this does not tackle the harms which problem gamblers cause for themselves. So...........why does anybody at all need any of this?
jamesedwards

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:30 pm
Some common sense applied with soft checks on potential problem gamblers/poor money management (ex-bankrupt, IVA agreements, loss chasing, poor credit scores)

Still not sure how cash betting in betting shops will be affected. Asking for payslips and bank statements was a dumb idea!

Rumour mill is, eventually, betting shops will be cashless, resulting in the way the recent reports' soft checks on each customer, once their identity is known, along with address...etc (assuming the customer complies)

Then there's the racecourse cash betting, no idea how that will be dealt with. In the future, I can see a switch to a tote only set up along with identity cards..etc

"We have not proposed new requirements on betting at the track, or at the local high street betting shop."

I rather think this is why bookies are clinging onto their portfolio of empty shops. It's another channel that may grow again in the light of potential future restrictions.
wearthefoxhat

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:59 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:30 pm

"We have not proposed new requirements on betting at the track, or at the local high street betting shop."

I rather think this is why bookies are clinging onto their portfolio of empty shops. It's another channel that may grow again in the light of potential future restrictions.
Thanks.

I believe Boylesports were/are ready to act and start buying out some of the Entain retail outlets, if and when they became available.
andy28

Entain just took over the NZL Tab's

Return to “General discussion”