Betfair Locked my Account down Mid-Trade

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

xtrader16 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:18 pm
Right, I know you probably dont really care because this didnt happen to you but...
I can assure you that everybody cares about things that didn't, but potentially could happen to them. I'm always grateful to people who bring these problems to attention.
Kai

xtrader16 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:35 pm
Can we just clarify what TFA is? Is that Two-Step Authentication?
Yes, "Two Factor Authentication"
jamesedwards

xtrader16 wrote:

What this proves is that even if somebody/something tried to access my account it does not stop the active market whilst I am correctly logged in.
There may well be a difference in system protocol between someone typing the wrong password on their usual IP address vs a log-in failure from a new IP on the other side of the world.
xtrader16

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:15 pm
xtrader16 wrote:

What this proves is that even if somebody/something tried to access my account it does not stop the active market whilst I am correctly logged in.
There may well be a difference in system protocol between someone typing the wrong password on their usual IP address vs a log-in failure from a new IP on the other side of the world.
Betfair have confirmed the 5 failed attempts to log in, prior to the account freeze, came from my IP address at 14:30. It wasnt me trying to log in as I was activley trading the 14:35 race. My real issue with this is Betfair refused to accept any responsibility for the closure which means if it happens again and again and again, every time I could lose whatever open trades that are in the market and £750+ trades arent that unusual. Betfair continue to see all trades as Bets which they know quite well, they are not. That is a long standing issue on the exchange. For some reason theyve never recognised opening positions as one part of a 2 part process. They are very disingenuous . They never openly admit trading even occurs on the exchange They think they are two seperate bets - not connected at all.
WisdomOfCrowds

I was actively logged in last year and had my account suspended. I was away from my desk, using Guardian at the time, and couldn't understand why everything had stopped mid-afternoon.

I'd changed ISPs the day before. Betfair had spotted the change and suspended the account.

I soon got it resolved but it was rather annoying that it happened in the first place.
xtrader16

WisdomOfCrowds wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:50 pm
I was actively logged in last year and had my account suspended. I was away from my desk, using Guardian at the time, and couldn't understand why everything had stopped mid-afternoon.

I'd changed ISPs the day before. Betfair had spotted the change and suspended the account.

I soon got it resolved but it was rather annoying that it happened in the first place.
Sounds exactly what has happened to me. I was unaware swapping your ISP could freeze your account. I swapped my ISP 5 minutes before the account was frozen. Maybe the only difference was I had a £158 liabilty active on a race which 2 minutes from the start. You could easily say I wouldn't be complaining if that Horse won at 5.0 and you might be right, but it didnt. Betfair should admit this was the reason, if it was, and tell everybody what the policy is when swapping ISP because as far as I know there isnt a policy out there. Thanks for your input.

Telling me I had failed to log in 5-6 times, and that is the reason the account was frozen, is untrue and they know it.

Furthermore, when my ISP drops out from time to time I use my moblie phone to close positions which has a different IP again and nobody has ever closed my account down after using my mobile. Maybe the recognise my mobile IP as a usual suspect. Who knows.
xtrader16

The last question is: Which Application repeatedly attempted to enter my account after I changed the ISP? Betfair themselves, BA (really doubt it) or xxxxx those that cant be named. My money is on xxxxx as they have already advised me the 2 Step isnt compatible with re-logging in after an outage and it crashed (highly unusual) immediately the account froze. Although ivd NEVER had this ussue with xxxx before even when my internet drops out and auto re-establishes.
MaxLiability

Seems like it'd be xxxxx causing the problem especially if you have TFA enabaled and they say their software isn't compatible re-logging in with TFA. That'd explain why you had failed attempts with it continually trying to get in without TFA.

At the end of the day it's just one of those many things you have to try to account for, no different in reality than Betfair going down, just have a Betdaq account loaded and logged if you want the belt and braces approach. Otherwise it eventually comes down to swings and roundabouts, I doubt you'd be trying to give Betfair the winnings back if it won.

Not trying to be harsh but Betfair have had so many outages in the past their can't be many of us who haven't been lumbered with an unwanted one sided trade.
xtrader16

MaxLiability wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:54 pm
Seems like it'd be xxxxx causing the problem especially if you have TFA enabaled and they say their software isn't compatible re-logging in with TFA. That'd explain why you had failed attempts with it continually trying to get in without TFA.

At the end of the day it's just one of those many things you have to try to account for, no different in reality than Betfair going down, just have a Betdaq account loaded and logged if you want the belt and braces approach. Otherwise it eventually comes down to swings and roundabouts, I doubt you'd be trying to give Betfair the winnings back if it won.

Not trying to be harsh but Betfair have had so many outages in the past their can't be many of us who haven't been lumbered with an unwanted one sided trade.
Easy to say when it isnt your money. I will remind you of this next time something happens and you lose £1500 on something that is beyond your control.The money isnt the point is is the reason why it happened as it shouldnt have and how many times will it happen in the future and who is responsible for it mext time it does. You sound like the type of person who backs Betfair and referers pepple to the T&C's when an outage occurs, never their fault. Im blocked by Betdaq years ago. Not an option.
MaxLiability

Had plenty of losses, and wins, from Betfair's outages, thankfully they're not as frequent as they used to be. There's over 200 races a week so you're always gonna be at risk of being stuck with an open trade. If you treat the money as lost as soon as you open a bet you won't go far wrong in the long run. Open a smarkets account if you can't use Betdaq.

If you still think it's Betfair's fault just take it further up the line, the customer service reps don't have authority to refund and plenty of us have received 'goodwill' payments to cover losses from Betfair's cock ups in the past.
Derek27

There is a world of difference between an unavoidable Betfair outage and the suspend monkey forgetting to put a market in play after a goal, or Betfair unnecessarily locking your account.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:06 pm
There is a world of difference between an unavoidable Betfair outage and the suspend monkey forgetting to put a market in play after a goal, or Betfair unnecessarily locking your account.
Show me a person or business who doesn't make mistakes? It's the real world not some sort of nirvana.

Any sucessful enterprise needs a big enough margin to deal with shit when shit happens and that's just the way it is. All moaning does is cost you even more because it's a complete waste of time and mental energy.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:49 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Show me a person or business who doesn't make mistakes? It's the real world not some sort of nirvana.

Any sucessful enterprise needs a big enough margin to deal with shit when shit happens and that's just the way it is. All moaning does is cost you even more because it's a complete waste of time and mental energy.
It's not the fact that they make mistakes but the sheer number of them, like having suspend monkeys that suspend the match every time the ball is kicked. It's always angers people when these guys make careless mistakes knowing only other people will suffer the consequences of them.
MaxLiability

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:49 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Too true , Shaun, the more you think it's not going to happen or the more you blame someone else the harder it's gonna hurt when it does. Despite our best efforts you will take a hit sometime by their incompetence that's probably one of the only certainties of trading on Betfair.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:12 pm
It's not the fact that they make mistakes but the sheer number of them.
I just ran a query and presently they're managing 1,771 events with 16,392 seperate markets (286 types) in 65 countries. You need a more reasonable expectation of what's acheivable in terms of accuracy or you're going to give yourself a heart attack.

Return to “General discussion”