Windows Updates!

A place to discuss anything.
jamesedwards

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:41 am
I've told my PC that I'm on a metered connection and so far that has stopped it downloading the updates, it tells me I am missing an update and I can download and install at my pleasure.
More genius! :mrgreen:
firlandsfarm

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:29 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:41 am
I've told my PC that I'm on a metered connection and so far that has stopped it downloading the updates, it tells me I am missing an update and I can download and install at my pleasure.
More genius! :mrgreen:
Thanks I can't steal the glory, I'm just the messenger, the professor was @conduirez (viewtopic.php?p=346856#p346856) :D It's the best so far, it's telling me now I have updates waiting but I'm testing something 24/7 so they can wait. And there are times it reminds me of the meter when I download something but I don't mind, it's telling me it's still protecting me.
Derek27

Updates a day late this month.
jamesedwards

Since telling my PCs that I am on a metered connection, all of them now wait for me to initiate the download manually.

Thanks again Firlandsfarm. Absolute genius! I can finally manage updates when I want. :mrgreen:

Capture 3.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
x7r4zq2

Does anyone in this thread know how to prevent my laptop from automatically installing updates? I usually postpone them as much as possible, but one morning I open my laptop to find it turned off with updates installed and all my programs closed, and I need to open everything again.
jimibt

jamesedwards wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:47 pm
Since telling my PCs that I am on a metered connection, all of them now wait for me to initiate the download manually.

Thanks again Firlandsfarm. Absolute genius! I can finally manage updates when I want. :mrgreen:

Capture 3.PNG
likewise following this advice (which was btw by @conduirez, and referenced by fir... ;). works really well.
weemac

jimibt wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:44 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:47 pm

Capture 3.PNG
likewise following this advice (which was btw by @conduirez, and referenced by fir... ;). works really well.
#metoo ;)
firlandsfarm

x7r4zq2 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:36 pm
Does anyone in this thread know how to prevent my laptop from automatically installing updates? I usually postpone them as much as possible, but one morning I open my laptop to find it turned off with updates installed and all my programs closed, and I need to open everything again.
Sorry but all I can advise is to read the thread you posted in!
Derek27

Following the latest cumulative update, I just got a message from Windows asking if I'd like to cast my trading screen to multiple devices in other rooms so others can watch!
sionascaig

Eventually joined the Windows 11 shenanigans & put in place the recommendations re metered connections to prevent an auto update.

Got up this morning and looks like PC restarted.

No updates were performed so maybe something else but a bit lost as to what.

Any ideas what could cause this (if not an update)?
Anbell

sionascaig wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:05 am
Eventually joined the Windows 11 shenanigans & put in place the recommendations re metered connections to prevent an auto update.

On the main update page there is an "Update History" link in the middle of the page. That should let you know if anything happened. Otherwise I cant think why you'd have a restart. We're in the middle of the VPS cycle, but that should disconnect but not reboot.
sionascaig

Anbell wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 am
sionascaig wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:05 am

On the main update page there is an "Update History" link in the middle of the page. That should let you know if anything happened. Otherwise I cant think why you'd have a restart. We're in the middle of the VPS cycle, but that should disconnect but not reboot.
Thanks Anbell. There was indeed an update that I missed.... Looks like I've not implemented the metered connections work around correctly.
Anbell

"Metered" just means it wont update if you have to pay for data on mobile.

Above Update History is Pause Updates, should be what you need, up to four weeks
jimibt

Anbell wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:42 am
"Metered" just means it wont update if you have to pay for data on mobile.

Above Update History is Pause Updates, should be what you need, up to four weeks
also - each network connection (wifi, ethernet etc) has to be toggled to not download over metered connection - i.e. it's not a global switch.
conduirez

sionascaig

What does it say in your Event Viewer?

If you do not know how to look at Event Viewer follow this link.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-find ... windows-10

You probably have not implemented the metered connection as Jimibt says.

Return to “General discussion”