This Forum

A place to discuss anything.
LeTiss

I've recently had a fall out with a significant poster here, which I apologise for (although he does annoy the fuckk out of me! :P )

However, I want to talk about this forum in general. As someone who joined this forum 13/14 years ago, I'm disappointed with the way it has gone.....which is partially why I'm not here much anymore

This forum is supposed to be about trading and everything relating to, or connected to it.
It's difficult to find good threads these days, without being distracted by shit like 'Rant Corner' or Twitter style fights on political threads.
Political threads are fine if they are connected to what's currently happening within the markets, but not the right vs left fights we see on Twitter......we are supposed to be traders here, regardless of how we vote. Trading is hard enough, without having posters putting you in a negative or frustrated mood because of their views. We often talk about the importance of psychology, so the last thing we need is for the forum itself to impact upon that. I am one of those people who finds it hard to walk away from those posts, so I invariably fuel the debate further by getting involved

I'd suggest to Dallas and Peter to start reining in the posts (including mine and Derek's etc..) that have bugger all to with political markets and are just confrontational personal views

Anyway, that's my moan for the day.....if someone suggests I should have put this into the 'rant corner' thread......fuckk off :lol:
Crazyskier

I concur.

Though in rather less profane terms 😀😉

CS
sionascaig

There is an option to select "Active Topics" or "Active Sports Topics". Doesn't that solve your problem as the threads that cause you concern are excluded in the later?

Personally, I find some of the information in these threads interesting as perspectives are so different from my own and some of the conversations have been good before crashing into personal insults. Maybe a 5 day posting ban or something like that would encourage better behaviour, although wouldn't want to generate any extra work for the BA team?
LeTiss

No. That doesn't solve the problem at all. Active topics still include the threads I'm referring to

The UK GE 2024 thread would be very interesting if we debated whether Labour at 1.35 are a good/bad price to win an overall majority and how we see that price moving or being affected by current events, but when you have someone calling the Home Secretary a bitch on a number of occasions and the like me reacting to it.....that offers nothing constructive whatsoever
sionascaig

Yes, but "Active Sports Topics" doesn't?

Really not sure what else is excluded but Rant & Election ones certainly are.

Agree with your last paragraph & the Election thread could be a goldmine if we kept it on trading specifics / considerations...
Anbell

It is an age-old conundrum.
jimibt

i think a timeout (read-only for xx hours/days based on a timeout button that needed to be clicked by xx number of members on that post) for spamming threads with ranting and counter ranting would be a good thing - if the forum software supported it without modification.

but as ever, self moderation usually makes for the happiest of communities and if that means having to bite your lip/tongue/!! on occasion, then taking a utilitarian approach generally smoothes out any escalations rather quickly.
Derek27

LeTiss wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:18 am
I've recently had a fall out with a significant poster here, which I apologise for (although he does annoy the fuckk out of me! :P )

However, I want to talk about this forum in general. As someone who joined this forum 13/14 years ago, I'm disappointed with the way it has gone.....which is partially why I'm not here much anymore

This forum is supposed to be about trading and everything relating to, or connected to it.
It's difficult to find good threads these days, without being distracted by shit like 'Rant Corner' or Twitter style fights on political threads.
Political threads are fine if they are connected to what's currently happening within the markets, but not the right vs left fights we see on Twitter......we are supposed to be traders here, regardless of how we vote. Trading is hard enough, without having posters putting you in a negative or frustrated mood because of their views. We often talk about the importance of psychology, so the last thing we need is for the forum itself to impact upon that. I am one of those people who finds it hard to walk away from those posts, so I invariably fuel the debate further by getting involved

I'd suggest to Dallas and Peter to start reining in the posts (including mine and Derek's etc..) that have bugger all to with political markets and are just confrontational personal views

Anyway, that's my moan for the day.....if someone suggests I should have put this into the 'rant corner' thread......fuckk off :lol:
Fair enough LeTiss. I apologise for and will ease off the bitching of political figures. :)
The Silk Run

It's OK to ask for help.
Sam 116 123
greenmark

The Silk Run wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:40 am
It's OK to ask for help.
Sam 116 123
Choked on me tea when I read that. :D
ShaunWhite

Well done LeTiss for going there.

Bottomline, this place doesn't have a great reputation. It's just old men ranting, misleading information going unchallenged, and tech discussions about 10yrs out of date.

When BA chose to have an unmoderated thread about Israel/Palestine, in the same week I asked what people use to analyse data, and it got pages while I had ZERO replies it confirmed everything.

The hands-off approach to this place means it's become derilict and full of squatters rather than the valuable asset it should be.
Trader724

This forum can be a real treasure trove at times! It takes some skill to navigate and identify the valuable gems hidden within. Every opinion no matter how unconventional or peculiar it may seem actually holds some useful insights. Keep an open mind!
Emmson

Its no more toxic than it was when I joined, probably less. It just has less traffic and manual traders are thin on the ground, I'm one

Nostalgia Bias
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:36 pm
Well done LeTiss for going there.

Bottomline, this place doesn't have a great reputation. It's just old men ranting, misleading information going unchallenged, and tech discussions about 10yrs out of date.

When BA chose to have an unmoderated thread about Israel/Palestine, in the same week I asked what people use to analyse data, and it got pages while I had ZERO replies it confirmed everything.

The hands-off approach to this place means it's become derilict and full of squatters rather than the valuable asset it should be.
I doubt anyone didn't reply to your thread because they were busy on the Israel thread. Data analysis isn't something everybody does.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:50 pm
. Data analysis isn't something everybody does.
Obviously, but some must though surely! It's 2024 and automation is popular. Power Query and Scraping threads are viewed so they must do something with it apart from making pretty screens. In your lingo Derek, they get eggs, milk and sugar, but don't seem to have a waffle maker. ;)

Anyway this thread isn't for chit chat.

Return to “General discussion”