Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:20 am
No ref to "hand" and "job" in the same post
:)
It was Shaun that came up with that. :)
Great 'minds' think alike :)
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:29 am
I guess in the future I will continue to call out comments I disagree with or ask for sources but try to leave it at that ... but then what do i do if I disagree with the response to mine! :shock:
The issue isn't in disagreeing but the way you disagree. You can disagree or you can call the other guy a liar.

I used to have friendly arguments with James until they started turning nasty, and we've exchanged friendly banter before it started getting hostile.

There's also a communication problem between us, misunderstandings are commonplace, we all have them. Jokes and light-hearted comments can be mistaken for facts. It's quite common, especially when one replies angrily to a comment, to treat any correction or explanation to the meaning of the post as a U-turn, and from that point onwards the conversation is going nowhere.

I've made a complete arse of myself on the forum, on occasions, but I've never had a problem taking back what I've said and don't stick to an original point of view through thick and thin. I learnt as a teenager when arguing with my older brothers that that is futile and you only make an even bigger arse of yourself.

There's also a common problem on the forum of not just being hostile in responses but prioritising hostility over actually replying or countering what the other forumite said.

Perhaps with hindsight, calling Braverman a bitch (even though she is ;) ) or referring to Johnson as "the buffoon" may have antagonised Conservatives in a way I hadn't thought of, so I apologise to the forum for any irritation that my rhetoric has caused.

After saying that, I think we need to give Alex some credit. He's taken a lot of abuse on this forum, none more so than from me, but he's never got remotely hostile in his responses. The same could be said about StellaBot. :)
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:19 pm
The issue isn't in disagreeing but the way you disagree. You can disagree or you can call the other guy a liar.

There's also a communication problem between us, misunderstandings are commonplace, we all have them. Jokes and light-hearted comments can be mistaken for facts. It's quite common, especially when one replies angrily to a comment, to treat any correction or explanation to the meaning of the post as a U-turn, and from that point onwards the conversation is going nowhere.
All jokes aside, big time miscommunication, the arguments barely made sense. You couldn't even work out who said what and where half the time, FF said he has trouble navigating the forum and this explains why this was dragged across so many threads. It's just a big mess and hardly a battle of wits.
Derek27 wrote:
I used to have friendly arguments with James until they started turning nasty, and we've exchanged friendly banter before it started getting hostile.
Not quite sure what happened with James (jamesg46) to change his demeanour so much so quickly.
Derek27 wrote:
Perhaps with hindsight, calling Braverman a bitch (even though she is ;) ) or referring to Johnson as "the buffoon" may have antagonised Conservatives in a way I hadn't thought of, so I apologise to the forum for any irritation that my rhetoric has caused.
Shouldn't be publicly calling any politicians those names no matter how much you hate them? It's just not acceptable behaviour from a regular poster. How is this not common sense? It can't be a cultural thing. It's pub language at best.
Derek27 wrote:
After saying that, I think we need to give Alex some credit. He's taken a lot of abuse on this forum, none more so than from me, but he's never got remotely hostile in his responses. The same could be said about StellaBot. :)
I agree about Alex, his views seemed questionably skewed but never actually gotten personal or hostile. Produced some banger memes too.

While StellaBot was treated unfairly I think, to have all your posts needing manual approval seems harsh. I tried to explain to him how to edit posts to avoid spamming so many in a row, he tried but he just couldn't do it for whatever reason, might have some sort of a disability, no idea.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:11 pm
...and this explains why this was dragged across so many threads.
I don't think the argument was dragged across threads. It was five different concurrent arguments on five different threads. :)
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:16 pm
Kai wrote:
I don't think the argument was dragged across threads. It was five different concurrent arguments on five different threads. :)
concurrency is notoriously hard to debug!! stick to a single thread for an understandable outcome :D
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:
Jesus :lol:

Well then I'm glad it's all behind us now!

And not a word to Peter about this when he comes back :lol:
Kai

jimibt wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:21 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:
concurrency is notoriously hard to debug!! stick to a single thread for an understandable outcome :D
:lol:

Not gonna lie I needed ChatGPT to explain that one to me
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:32 pm
jimibt wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

yeh - nerdjokes ruLEz :)
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:32 pm
jimibt wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I don't know why people always jump to ChatGPT for everything when good old fashioned Google will suffice. :)

Simply described, it's when you are doing more than one thing at the same time. Not to be confused with parallelism, concurrent or concurrency programming is when multiple sequences of operations are run in overlapping periods of time. In the realm of programming, concurrency is a pretty complex subject.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Not quite sure what happened with James (jamesg46) to change his demeanour so much so quickly.
You've just reminded me, I had a girlfriend who was kind, caring and thoughtful ... when I met her. Six months down the line she was a flipping narcissist, deciding everything we do, insisting on always having her way down to dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

The question is, did she change after going out with me for six months or did she change when she met me and become herself six months later?

Would anyone even go out with her in the first place if she didn't change? :mrgreen:
Atho55

No matter what the thread is you have to introduce chit chat mainly about yourself, ffs, give it a rest. Who`s interested.
foxwood

Ironic how this thread started to go off the rails after a couple of pages
greenmark

foxwood wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:13 am
Ironic how this thread started to go off the rails after a couple of pages
+1 start as many threads as the mods will allow. But stay "on thread" on any thread. Maybe? Let's try to do that? Perhaps!
Derek27

Atho55 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:50 am
No matter what the thread is you have to introduce chit chat mainly about yourself, ffs, give it a rest. Who`s interested.
That was a reference to Kai wondering why James changed so much on this forum. I was simply suggesting people don't change, they just become themselves, and that was entirely relevant to this thread, which is about the behaviour of users of the forum!

Return to “General discussion”