This Forum

A place to discuss anything.
henbet22

The narrative in the book reveals that the lack of cooperation of children without adult authority can quickly descend into disorder and chaos, although the boys try to establish some sort of order and coordination among themselves to survive. Another point made in the book is the matter of leadership, as the protagonist Derek fights with the older LeTiss over becoming leader of the group, leading them to darker intentions and disillusion. The book's major themes, such as morality, civility, and modern society, make the novel a satire of the very behaviour and nature of humans, long held beliefs that support the very foundation of human activity.

At an allegorical level, the central theme is the conflicting human impulses toward civilisation and social organisation – living by rules, peacefully and in harmony – and toward the will to power. Themes include the tension between groupthink and individuality, between rational and emotional reactions, and between morality and immorality. How these play out and how different people feel their influence form a major subtext of Lord of the Forum
LeTiss

henbet22 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:51 am
The narrative in the book reveals that the lack of cooperation of children without adult authority can quickly descend into disorder and chaos, although the boys try to establish some sort of order and coordination among themselves to survive. Another point made in the book is the matter of leadership, as the protagonist Derek fights with the older LeTiss over becoming leader of the group, leading them to darker intentions and disillusion. The book's major themes, such as morality, civility, and modern society, make the novel a satire of the very behaviour and nature of humans, long held beliefs that support the very foundation of human activity.

At an allegorical level, the central theme is the conflicting human impulses toward civilisation and social organisation – living by rules, peacefully and in harmony – and toward the will to power. Themes include the tension between groupthink and individuality, between rational and emotional reactions, and between morality and immorality. How these play out and how different people feel their influence form a major subtext of Lord of the Forum
Very poetic 😁

Not sure I enjoyed this bit so much though......."fights with the older LeTiss"
😂
Kai

henbet22 wrote:
Lord of the Forum
The plot concerns a group of British boys who are stranded on an uninhabited forum and their disastrous attempts to govern themselves.

👌
Emmson

Anbell wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:34 am
One advantage of the lower-quality posts is they provide 'liquidity.'

There are at least 50 of us here who normally check in a few times a day and read most posts (even if we might ignore some threads entirely.) If someone has a trading or technical problem, a few of us are going to read their post within a couple of hours, and there might be one or two responses that might lead to further responses from the regulars offering further insight/advice/alternatives.

If we put a brake on the 'liquidity' then people won't check as often and the quality volume is likely to dry up as well. The Australian Racing thread is a good example. Nobody posts there any more so nobody posts there any more.
That is right, 12.00pm - 8.00pm will mirror 12.00am - 8.00am when this place is like the Mary Celeste

ENJOY!
Bobajob

Emmson wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:03 am
Anbell wrote:

There are at least 50 of us here who normally check in a few times a day and read most posts (even if we might ignore some threads entirely.) If someone has a trading or technical problem, a few of us are going to read their post within a couple of hours, and there might be one or two responses that might lead to further responses from the regulars offering further insight/advice/alternatives.

If we put a brake on the 'liquidity' then people won't check as often and the quality volume is likely to dry up as well. The Australian Racing thread is a good example. Nobody posts there any more so nobody posts there any more.
That is right, 12.00pm - 8.00pm will mirror 12.00am - 8.00am when this place is like the Mary Celeste

ENJOY!
Spot on - i thought this was a country of 'free speech'
If a few 'wild conversations' off-topic is what is required to keep this forum going , then so be it
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR !!
Last edited by Bobajob on Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kai

Emmson wrote:
Anbell wrote:

ENJOY!
Love that analogy, like the brilliant one henbet22 posted, place really does seem dead as a doornail when Derek's asleep, but what can you do

OP best get to work then if he wants to match Derek's contribution
firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:59 am
henbet22 wrote:
Lord of the Forum
The plot concerns a group of British boys who are stranded on an uninhabited forum and their disastrous attempts to govern themselves.

👌
Lord of the Flies? :D
Kai

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:27 am
Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:59 am
henbet22 wrote:
Lord of the Forum

👌
Lord of the Flies? :D
Indeed, pure quality from henbet22 :) Not had the pleasure of reading it but I have seen the movie!
Bobajob

Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:09 am
Emmson wrote:
Anbell wrote:

ENJOY!
Love that analogy, like the brilliant one henbet22 posted, place really does seem dead as a doornail when Derek's asleep, but what can you do

OP best get to work then if he wants to match Derek's contribution
I sense the tables are turning now... it is what it is... we are all imperfect human beings in an imperfect world
Kai

Indeed... I am working on a rough draft of new posting guidelines for the user Derek27 but feel free to add to it in case I forgot something

• No profanities
  • No personal spats across 5 threads
  • No posts about your junk
  • No posts about your bowel movements
Bobajob

Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:59 am
Indeed... I am working on a rough draft of new posting guidelines for the user Derek27 but feel free to add to it in case I forgot something

• No profanities
Can I add the following to your list
No "Bitch" iness
No ref to "hand" and "job" in the same post
:)
Last edited by Bobajob on Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kai

Kai wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:26 am
Speaking of milestones I would also like to congratulate Derek27 for participating in over 250,000 forum threads which is quite the achievement with only 12,845 posts to his (user)name. The forum greatly appreciates the liquidity that he brings 👍 And if he could only cut down on the rants a bit that would be great.

Since Euler refuses to give him an honorary lifetime Bet Angel Basic Trader membership I guess he will have to settle for a custom made meme as his only reward 👍

Hard to believe it's nearly two full years since this milestone post, how time flies when you're lord of the flies!
firlandsfarm

Only just come across this thread and I too have had a major falling out with someone but I'm sure you don't need me to say who! :lol:

If I may comment on some of the comments so far ...

@LeTiss ... good to raise the matter. I'm sure the political threads were started as trading threads. So people started to introduce political content because it could have an influence of how/what to trade but that inevitably leads to disagreement of that content leading to a row that is of no benefit to anyone. From a trading point of view I believe it's fair to challenge content. If someone posted on the football thread that Haaland is a useless wanker I'm sure it would be challenged so why shouldn't political comments also be challenged. True traders will do so against their political colour. If you are 'blue' could you lay the Conservatives or back Labour or if you are 'red' could you lay Labour or back the Conservatives and discuss why you think you should hold such positions then you are a true trader.

@Derek27 (on the slight chance that you might read this! :D ) I'm afraid I side with LeTiss on this point.

@ShaunWhite ... sorry, I didn't see your post about analysing data probably because I often have BA on 24/7 so don't get to see the Desktop of recent posts unless I reopen and I don't usually visit the forum daily as evidenced by the occasional surge in my number of posts. It is the sort of post I would be interested in and I would love to be only 10 yrs out of date!

@Dallas ... some non-sports are trading subjects. I'm sure I don't use the forum to the full. I'm an old dog of 72 and don't learn new tricks easily. Some 40 years ago I was seen as the computer wiz of the department but my career gave me less time for that hobby and I have completely fallen back. I don't find it easy to find things on the forum, it has almost become too big. If I search something the list of returns is often so long that I end up giving up! When I first started with BA I found Peter's video's very helpful in getting me into the software but his current approach is more to talk about tactics than how to use the software. The evolution of the software has been tremendous but how to use it has not kept pace.

I guess in the future I will continue to call out comments I disagree with or ask for sources but try to leave it at that ... but then what do i do if I disagree with the response to mine! :shock:
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:59 am

• No profanities
  • No posts after 4-6 beers
  • No discussion of complex news story only to finish off with Kay xxx is very hot
  • No junking of supermarket staff
:)

feel free to add/remove/edit - lol
The Silk Run

Kai wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:22 am
Kai wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:26 am
Speaking of milestones I would also like to congratulate Derek27 for participating in over 250,000 forum threads which is quite the achievement with only 12,845 posts to his (user)name. The forum greatly appreciates the liquidity that he brings 👍 And if he could only cut down on the rants a bit that would be great.

Since Euler refuses to give him an honorary lifetime Bet Angel Basic Trader membership I guess he will have to settle for a custom made meme as his only reward 👍

Hard to believe it's nearly two full years since this milestone post, how time flies when you're lord of the flies!
Ha Ha. I remember that, very very creative indeed.

l also remember a forum member upset about all the fun on the forum and recommended that profiles should be tagged with senior member, newbie etc. Positive discrimination in a Public Space !!!

I actually enjoy the fun content produced by the community. I'm very open minded, and current and I do occasionally participate.

Return to “General discussion”