Next Step?!?!

A place to discuss anything.
andy28

Looks like I have 1 maybe 2 strategies (automated) that on paper look ok/good so I think the next step is to trade for small stakes live. But I will need it to run nearly 24hrs 7 days as I start with NZL Greys and End with WA greys so will be going from noon until 2am plus some football matches thrown in. Am I better to get an API key (which is a big cost for me) or do I simply mail BF and say it is just my automation running. Not sure telling them that will help my case

So is an API key the right way to go for me as a novice? Just wondering what the pro's and cons are for me?

Cheers
Dallas

You'll only need an API key if you have your own software

If you are using Bet Angel then it's not needed, nor do you need to inform Betfair, they are aware many users automate there trading, but if you are doing it 24/7 then it might be worth looking at a VPS to avoid the need of having to leave your PC running around the clock
https://www.betangel.com/vps/
jamesedwards

andy28 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:45 am
Looks like I have 1 maybe 2 strategies (automated) that on paper look ok/good so I think the next step is to trade for small stakes live. But I will need it to run nearly 24hrs 7 days as I start with NZL Greys and End with WA greys so will be going from noon until 2am plus some football matches thrown in. Am I better to get an API key (which is a big cost for me) or do I simply mail BF and say it is just my automation running. Not sure telling them that will help my case

So is an API key the right way to go for me as a novice? Just wondering what the pro's and cons are for me?

Cheers
Do you mean you are concerned about getting picked up by BF as a problem gambler? If so then I doubt it will make any difference whether you have applied for an API key or whether you use Bet Angel. I'm yet to come across anyone in this group who has been picked up by Betfair for the amount of time or hours spent trading. Every time someone has been challenged it appears to have been related to size or frequency of deposits.

You could always try letting Betfair know in advance that you plan to start some 24/7 automation. It's unlikely to make any difference in my opinion, but I don't suppose it can hurt.
andy28

OK thanks for the advice, I was a little concerned that BF wrote to me, I was thinking this was part of their responsible gaming laws. But it's been about 5yrs since I have had to fund my account so it will be hard to say I have a problem.

You are correct Dallas I do leave my PC running 24hrs a day, so might look into the VPS at a latter date.

Thanks again
jamesedwards

andy28 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:09 am
OK thanks for the advice, I was a little concerned that BF wrote to me, I was thinking this was part of their responsible gaming laws. But it's been about 5yrs since I have had to fund my account so it will be hard to say I have a problem.

You are correct Dallas I do leave my PC running 24hrs a day, so might look into the VPS at a latter date.

Thanks again
Betfair wrote to you?
andy28

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:04 pm
andy28 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:09 am

Thanks again
Betfair wrote to you?
Yes correct, this is the message

As part of Betfair's commitment to Responsible Gambling, we want to ensure that you enjoy wagering in moderation, as a form of entertainment, in a safe and secure environment. Betfair does not want you to gamble with money you can’t afford to lose.

We’ve noticed that you’ve wagered on the Exchange for an extended period of time over the past week and would like to make you aware of Betfair’s Player Protection Options. Please read the information below, or find out more by visiting our Responsible Gambling page. Consider implementing a Betfair Player Protection today.
andy28

I worked Monday-Friday so didn't log in, Saturday I logged in for some manual trading (small stakes) and then I loaded Guardian up with football matches to gather some data so left it running until Sunday morning. Trading small amount Sunday and did the same with football matches Sunday night. Got up Early Monday got data I wanted logged out and saw the email Monday when I got home.

So it ran Saturday thru to early Monday so in total 48hrs. For gathering my data I usually use practice mode as it isn't a lot of data just odds at kickoff and at half time.

So I was a bit surprised to get the email
jamesedwards

I've never seen that message and I have automations trading 24/7. I've been told by Betfair account managers in the past that they recognise professional traders and treat them differently to more casual punters when it comes to account management and responsible gambling communications etc. I have no idea what criteria they use to differentiate but I imagine it's related to long term profitability and usage history.
andy28

Ok thank you, I think your right that is the first time I have run it for 48 hrs so it probably got flagged with a higher usage

Return to “General discussion”