Automation just doesn't work reliably

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
bests3lleruk

I don't want to be a naysayer here, but every time I have tried to learn automation, I find that it simply sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have tried every single way to 'place unmatched bets at SP' - sometimes it does, sometimes for some unexplained reason it doesn't trigger. And the same with greening up.

Here is a prime example that proves it's not just me doing something wrong.

I downloaded the 'back the streamer' rule file, posted by Dallas, and deployed it just as it was, into a few maiden markets. In the first race the rule to back a streamer that depreciates by so many ticks didn't trigger, but the 'green up' did trigger as it was supposed to, shortly before the off (although there were no bets to green up but it still logged it as triggering). All fine so far, then the next race the first rule DID trigger, it duly backed a horse that had shortened by so much, great. But then for some inexplicable reason the green up didn't trigger? So when I looked at the results, low and behold I had lost the entire bet. And checked the log, and sure enough, first rule triggered, green up all bets didn't trigger.

This is just proof to me it is just random whether it works or not. This was a rule file I didn't even create or adjust, just downloaded and deployed. It is reassuring in a way because I've never got a piece of automation to work consistently, and this sort of exonerates me. If someone can explain why this sort of thing seemingly happens again and again with this software, then please do. I'm open minded. And I know the software to be able to automate bets on the site is not straight forward to produce, but I don't think it should be advertised to do something when it just doesn't work consistently. It can randomly just not work for inexplicable reasons which loses people money.
Last edited by bests3lleruk on Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

bests3lleruk wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:49 pm
I don't want to be a naysayer here, but every time I have tried to learn automation, I find that it simply sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have tried every single way to 'place unmatched bets at SP' - sometimes it does, sometimes for some unexplained reason it doesn't trigger. And the same with greening up. Here is a prime example that proves it's not just me doing something wrong. I downloaded the 'back the streamer' rule file, posted by Dallas, and deployed it just as it was, into a few maiden markets. In the first race the rule to back a streamer that depreciates by so many ticks didn't trigger, but the 'green up' did trigger as it was supposed to, shortly before the off (although there were no bets to green up but it still logged it as triggering). All fine so far, then the next race the first rule DID trigger, it duly backed a horse that had shortened by so much, great. But then for some inexplicable reason the green up didn't trigger? So when I looked at the results, low and behold I had lost the entire bet. And checked the log, and sure enough, first rule triggered, green up all bets didn't trigger. This is just proof to me it is just random whether it works or not. This was a rule file I didn't even create or adjust, just downloaded and deployed. It is reassuring in a way because I've never got a piece of automation to work consistently, and this sort of exonerates me. If someone can explain why this sort of thing seemingly happens again and again with this software, then please do. I'm open minded. And I know the software to be able to automate bets on the site is not straight forward to produce, but I don't think it should be advertised to do something when it just doesn't work consistently. It can randomly just not work for inexplicable reasons which loses people money.
If it works for everybody else but not for you, that's a strong indication that the software is not at fault. :)

Perhaps if you post the rule file and the log it produces somebody might be able to identify what's causing the problem?
jamesedwards

It sounds like something to do with your Guardian refresh rates.

In the Guardian 'markets' tab make sure the refresh interval is set to the lowest possible, (probably 20ms).

Also, in settings, 'communications' tab, make sure you have the 'use exchange streaming' checked, and 'background market prices' set to 20ms.

Then Guardian will cycle through 50 markets per second. So if you have 100 markets loaded it will hit each market roughly every 2 secs, and 500 markets loaded will hit each market about every 10 secs.
Crazyskier

bests3lleruk wrote:
I don't want to be a naysayer here, but every time I have tried to learn automation, I find that it simply sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have tried every single way to 'place unmatched bets at SP' - sometimes it does, sometimes for some unexplained reason it doesn't trigger. And the same with greening up. Here is a prime example that proves it's not just me doing something wrong. I downloaded the 'back the streamer' rule file, posted by Dallas, and deployed it just as it was, into a few maiden markets. In the first race the rule to back a streamer that depreciates by so many ticks didn't trigger, but the 'green up' did trigger as it was supposed to, shortly before the off (although there were no bets to green up but it still logged it as triggering). All fine so far, then the next race the first rule DID trigger, it duly backed a horse that had shortened by so much, great. But then for some inexplicable reason the green up didn't trigger? So when I looked at the results, low and behold I had lost the entire bet. And checked the log, and sure enough, first rule triggered, green up all bets didn't trigger. This is just proof to me it is just random whether it works or not. This was a rule file I didn't even create or adjust, just downloaded and deployed. It is reassuring in a way because I've never got a piece of automation to work consistently, and this sort of exonerates me. If someone can explain why this sort of thing seemingly happens again and again with this software, then please do. I'm open minded. And I know the software to be able to automate bets on the site is not straight forward to produce, but I don't think it should be advertised to do something when it just doesn't work consistently. It can randomly just not work for inexplicable reasons which loses people money.
Bearing in mind that the minimum SP lay bet should be £10, with the minimum back being just £1 now, I believe. Any less that this can and will cause non matched bets.

CS
Kai

bests3lleruk wrote:
Also, paragraphs are your friends too

They would allow these fine gentlemen to assist much easier
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:53 pm
bests3lleruk wrote:

I must be turning into a robot, I hadn't noticed. :)
bests3lleruk

Okay thanks for the suggestion guys, I'll try and present logs when I get back home, I'm away this evening.
The Silk Run

Kai wrote:
bests3lleruk wrote:

Nice, and polite intervention on punctuation. I am always trying to improve my English writing skills.
I'm sure the original poster will get to the bottom of his / her dilemma with the knowledge and support of all the Angel's ...
Safeway

Kai wrote:
bests3lleruk wrote:

In his defence...when he started the thread he was using paragraphs.
Derek27

Safeway wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:31 pm

In his defence...when he started the thread he was using paragraphs.
The post has been edited. :)
Safeway

In any case.... what the hell?

Does anybody really, really need to patronise another by speaking of paragraphs?
Safeway

Thanks Derek - I understand what you say.

My point stands regardless. This is not a very welcoming place.......
Derek27

Safeway wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:49 pm
Thanks Derek - I understand what you say.

My point stands regardless. This is not a very welcoming place.......
Kai gave friendly, light-hearted advice, and it is important. It's much easier to read and digest information broken into paragraphs. I've seen similar requests on other forums I've used, that I'd describe as very friendly.
Safeway

Yes Derek - sorry to all.

As you advised, the OP bowed to the request so who am I to comment? I must have been a bit weary at the end of the day and no excuse because I was up. That doesn't happen every day :lol:
Kai

No apology necessary :)

And no offense meant, I could have probably worded it better. Granted, the line I walk can be a difficult balance as a non-native speaker as it can sometimes be interpreted differently than intended.

As a token of goodwill, or a welcoming gift if you want it, I can offer to upgrade your avatar into a higher resolution one :)

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”