Forum running slowly

A place to discuss anything.
Euler

We get this occasionally, but had a major DDOS a few years back which meant we changed a lot of back end items. One of which we deployed today to head off this attack.
to75ne

Euler wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:27 pm
We get this occasionally, but had a major DDOS a few years back which meant we changed a lot of back end items. One of which we deployed today to head off this attack.
why would anyone wish to attack a forum such as this one, how do they benefit or what would they gain from such a pointless action. Why?
sniffer66

to75ne wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:46 pm
Euler wrote:
why would anyone wish to attack a forum such as this one, how do they benefit or what would they gain from such a pointless action. Why?
Because they can. I had my VPS hacked a little while ago and they used it to run DDOS attacks for a few hours until the hosting company took my server down :(
Looked like they did a brute force attack via RDP to get onto it
to75ne

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:50 pm
to75ne wrote:
Euler wrote:
Because they can. I had my VPS hacked a little while ago and they used it to run DDOS attacks for a few hours until the hosting company took my server down :(
just bored idiots then; surely if they know and are capable of doing these things, surely they would have the imagination to do something worth the effort with their ability and not just pointlessly dick around.
sniffer66

to75ne wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:15 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
to75ne wrote:

just bored idiots then; surely if they know and are capable of doing these things, surely they would have the imagination to do something worth the effort with their ability and not just pointlessly dick around.
Attacks like that tend to be script kiddies dicking around. You don't even have to write the code yourself. You can buy the tools to do it for very little (I did IT Security for a while)
greenmark

to75ne wrote:
sniffer66 wrote:
to75ne wrote:

I would suggest these are automated systems looking for security weaknesses. An attack is one thing, recovering from it and reinstating your security is another. Credit to the BA tech's!
to75ne

greenmark wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:22 pm
to75ne wrote:
sniffer66 wrote:

I would suggest these are automated systems looking for security weaknesses. An attack is one thing, recovering from it and reinstating your security is another. Credit to the BA tech's!
if they find a security weakness how does that benefit anyone its a forum.

there are no financial transactions here, no betfair user id's and passwords etc, just a forum.

i don't know but i assume there are no links directly to the business side/financial side of b.a. Mr Webb is hardly likely to allow that.

so why bother i don't see the point at all.
Euler

That's correct, there is no sensitive information here at all and the forum now has it's own server, so it's near useless in terms of information. Apart from the many pearls of wisdom from forum members ;)

So it does feel targetted, aimed at disrupting things and tying up resources. It's happened a few times now, and we don't see it happen on other related sites, and they are full of security holes based on our hard-earned experience. So it seems a bit odd.
Kai

Who knows with agendas these days, could be disgruntled customers with misguided anger or general pettiness from competitors and the like.

But hard to believe someone's New Year's resolution is to start more DDoS attacks.
Derek27

Anti-Gambling Alliance!
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:33 pm
Anti-Gambling Alliance!
Whoever it is a 'Daily Dose of Satire' has never been so literal, so at least they have a real knack for irony!
foxwood

Goes on all the time - if you run any servers check the logs - filled with hack attempts 24/7

I close all the common ports I don't need and only open them for a short time when needed eg FTP

Also move the RDP port off the known standard - carefully otherwise you lock yourself out :lol:
Euler

Most servers get attacked as botnet's try to hijack them to hijack other servers.

This was very specific though and had to jump through some hoops to have any effect. In short, it was targetted.
Kai

Well it wasn't Luke because he would first open a few threads about it asking us how to do it step by step
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:56 pm
Well it wasn't Luke because he would first open a few threads about it asking us how to do it step by step
:lol:

Return to “General discussion”