Some serious weather incoming next week...

The sport of kings.
arbitrage16

https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain ... pT8B41bl9/

Wonder what racing, if anything, will survive...
Derek27

A week?

Don't mean to sound like the four Yorkshire men, but I remember six weeks of racing wiped out by snow and ice in the early eighties. I'd nearly freeze to death journeying to school every morning and the really sad thing was, I was still purchasing the Sporting Life every day. :lol:
Dallas

As soon as the east coast of the US was hit a few days ago the warning signs were there - we nearly always have really harsh conditions around 2 weeks later,

Added to that the exact same conditions in the upper atmosphere and the behaviour in the jet stream these last 7-10 days have been the same as what they were a few weeks before the Beast from the east struck in 2018, so all in all in my mind from around a week ago I've pretty much written off the second half of Jan and start of Feb for racing

The only positive being from my perspective is I usually focus on the Aus open during this time so I won't feel the impacts as much as others may
Diggy1884

Dallas wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:53 pm
I've pretty much written off the second half of Jan and start of Feb for racing

The only positive being from my perspective is I usually focus on the Aus open during this time so I won't feel the impacts as much as others may
I am confident the markets will rebound in the coming weeks but for me, the impact has been truly eye-opening.

This period has given me the push I needed. Excitingly, next week marks the beginning of my journey into Futures trading!
Derek27

Storms sweeping across the country tomorrow. There will be bins, rubbish and other debris blown around our streets.

But BA forum members and people with the sense to visit this site should be above all that. Make sure all your outdoor items are secured, safely locked in the shed or brought indoors. :)
Diggy1884

The forum is great for guidance but any deep and meaningful work on a market needs to be seen/tested and trailed on your own terms doesn't it.
Derek27

I've seen trees being felled on the news but the serious wind seems to have passed by Norwich, even bins left standing!
Euler

Diggy1884 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:08 am
The forum is great for guidance but any deep and meaningful work on a market needs to be seen/tested and trailed on your own terms doesn't it.
Sort of looks out of place on this thread, but yes.
Euler

Over the years Jan / Feb and my lowest months of the year so I'm really relaxed now, even if they are really terrible.
Diggy1884

Euler wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:09 pm
Over the years Jan / Feb and my lowest months of the year so I'm really relaxed now, even if they are really terrible.
Yeah it makes much more sense the seasonality of it now. Quite a whirlwind hey.

Pre-Christmas it was interesting to see the focus shift (Flat-Jumps) as it created unique set ups in of itself.

I think being more aware of what to expect or what can be expected around this time (with bad weather) will certainly help reduce any impact/expectations in the future.
& I will plan for/around it!
I saw it was a little sketchy around Dec/Jan last year but I didn't really have a solid reference to compare to, I do now, I can tell the difference.

Glad I have experienced it. Even if it was quite testing. Character building they say :D
I was probably a little frustrated rather than relaxed as I had spent a month or so not trading but working on a new approach to my pre off trading and was super excited to get back at it...Then delays haha... Oh life lol

Yesterdays markets showed great big moves which I love and I am sure the days/weeks/months ahead will be absolutely fantastic.

I myself can't wait to get properly stuck in!

Thanks for the insight Euler
Euler

Cheltenham trials this weekend, so a real bit of quality on the cards for the first time in a while.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”