Backing the favourite

A place to discuss anything.
benpettman

Hello, been a while since I’ve been back here but thinking about getting back into it.

Back when I used the software I used to use a very simple strategy of backing the favourite when the odds are between x and y and the aim was to make I think £10 profit for the race and if it won then stop, or restart the process. But if the horse lost the aim was to take the loss inc commissions etc and then bet on the next race but it was worked out to bet the amount to recoup the bet and loss from the previous one and bet more etc.

Given that’s a basic idea and things would have moved on, is there a similar / better strategy around?

All help and advice is appreciated.
Anbell

benpettman wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:22 am
Hello, been a while since I’ve been back here but thinking about getting back into it.

Back when I used the software I used to use a very simple strategy of backing the favourite when the odds are between x and y and the aim was to make I think £10 profit for the race and if it won then stop, or restart the process. But if the horse lost the aim was to take the loss inc commissions etc and then bet on the next race but it was worked out to bet the amount to recoup the bet and loss from the previous one and bet more etc.

Given that’s a basic idea and things would have moved on, is there a similar / better strategy around?

People have been trying it for hundreds of years. It never works. I recommend against it but appreciate your contribution if you persist.
benpettman

Anbell wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:04 am
benpettman wrote:

People have been trying it for hundreds of years. It never works. I recommend against it but appreciate your contribution if you persist.
Fair enough.

Maybe time to have a trial and try out some of the other strategies in the forum. Thanks
jamesedwards

benpettman wrote:

This is a version of Martingale where you double up every bet on a 50/50 chance until you hit a winner. Works most of the time and you think you're onto a winner, but then one day you hit a huge run of losers and go bankrupt.

What you're actually doing is betting your full bank on a long odds-on shot. eg on roulette with a £102k bank betting to win £100 on red, you're betting £100, then £200, then £400, £800, £1600, £3200, £6400, £12800, £25600, and finally £51200. Ignoring the 'zero', that's just the same as betting £102k on a 1/1023 shot, and it will eventually come up.

Return to “General discussion”