Who here is profitable?

A place to discuss anything.
Fugazi

Not expecting everyone will reveal... or even be truthful! But Just wondering a show of hands who here is:

A) Fulltime trader (earning similar or more than old day job!)
B) Profitable, but not fulltime

Just curious really, some folks seem to ''get it'' quickly. Others seem to have been at it years and not even come close. I think a quote I like that applies is:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Unfortunately, I am insane.
gazuty

Overall a small minority get to be consistently profitable. An even smaller minority make it to pc2 (some would be studiously avoid).

In your metrics I am in category (b).
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:36 pm
Hasn't it been 12 days

Sounds like you're already in the doubt phase (3/6)

So how will you deal with your first setbacks now

A) Growth mindset
B) Fixed mindset
Euler

There are lots of profitable people here, but they all took time to get there and did it in their own way.

You would need at least one annual cycle to fully understand the markets I reckon. People are often in a rush to get somewhere quickly and it's very rare to achieve that.
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
What's insanity is believing you've gained sufficient knowledge and experience about yourself and the market to profit after 12 days :)

Not sure I can simplify this concept more, I can only complicate it further.

You learn about yourself through market experience and if you've learned enough you will profit. If not, somebody else will.

But yes, I think you hit the nail on the head there with the quote, even if by accident. That's pretty much what most people do, the same things over and over on different markets and sports but never really changing their methodology and mindset. It usually takes 12 days/weeks/months/years/lifetimes to realize this, depending on your level of stubbornness and the size of your ego.

The market is an excellent teacher if you're not too stubborn to learn or too egotistical to want to learn. Once markets settle, your tuition fees go straight into your teachers' pockets. But the main issue is people don't want to learn how to profit, they just want to profit. But I don't see what's so special about them that they feel so entitled to profit they don't deserve.

Realize this and you are already ahead of most people.
jamesedwards

Fugazi wrote:
Not expecting everyone will reveal... or even be truthful! But Just wondering a show of hands who here is:

A) Fulltime trader (earning similar or more than old day job!)
B) Profitable, but not fulltime

Just curious really, some folks seem to ''get it'' quickly. Others seem to have been at it years and not even come close. I think a quote I like that applies is:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26759&hilit=poll

Check out the poll from a year ago.

Not many people owning up to making a loss ;) , but you can see there's plenty on here making a full-time return from trading.
Fugazi

Kai wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:59 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Hasn't it been 12 days

A) Growth mindset
B) Fixed mindset
As I've mentioned before, I used to be profitable at poker. I know what it takes. Doesn't mean I can't be frustrated anyway in the meantime... or be convinced I've figured out the winning strategy. Everyone thinks they have made it 1000 times over before they finally do. Anyone that doesn't admit they prematurely thought they had a winning strategy at some point is a liar...
Fugazi

Kai wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:38 pm
Fugazi wrote:
What's insanity is believing you've gained sufficient knowledge and experience about yourself and the market to profit after 12 days :)

Not sure I can simplify this concept more, I can only complicate it further.

You learn about yourself through market experience and if you've learned enough you will profit. If not, somebody else will.

But yes, I think you hit the nail on the head there with the quote, even if by accident. That's pretty much what most people do, the same things over and over on different markets and sports but never really changing their methodology and mindset. It usually takes 12 days/weeks/months/years/lifetimes to realize this, depending on your level of stubbornness and the size of your ego.

The market is an excellent teacher if you're not too stubborn to learn or too egotistical to want to learn. Once markets settle, your tuition fees go straight into your teachers' pockets. But the main issue is people don't want to learn how to profit, they just want to profit. But I don't see what's so special about them that they feel so entitled to profit they don't deserve.

Realize this and you are already ahead of most people.
I find by reading the forums a lot of people can't help but accidently reveal parts of their strategy which you begin to piece together.

What I have learned so far is that directly copying Youtube videos is not the way. Nobody is going to post the EXACT method. But you can sure think outside the box and think about how you can adapt default strategies, or take advantage of the knowledge people are using default strategies and counter these
jimibt

Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:56 pm
Kai wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:59 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Hasn't it been 12 days

A) Growth mindset
B) Fixed mindset
As I've mentioned before, I used to be profitable at poker. I know what it takes. Doesn't mean I can't be frustrated anyway in the meantime... or be convinced I've figured out the winning strategy. Everyone thinks they have made it 1000 times over before they finally do. Anyone that doesn't admit they prematurely thought they had a winning strategy at some point is a liar...
i'm sure it'll have been mentioned somewhere on the forum before. The want and need for finding a niche are 2 different beasts and present in many different forms. my worst performing times were when i DECIDED to give sports trading a go full time.

arriving with a healthy balance (gained thro matched betting prior to that), i felt i would waltz thro the process. my main problem was that i hadn't really worked out any strategies and was very green to sports trading (that was the only green i had). during the 1st week, i had spectacular success with dutching (didn't know what it was, but reckoned that it was easy money). come week 2, my mental reversion kicked in and i had a realisation that i'd need to gen up on stats collection, analysis and leveraging my skills as a developer to exploit the BF api etc.

long story short, i jumped in with 3 feet not having a clue tbh. I then after busting my savings and 1st BF bank, snuck back into employment and used my FREE time to indulge in the BF pursuits and that was where the big difference occurred. suddenly, there was no NEED to profit from my actions - i just simply WANTED to. Just as it was all going well, the pandemic kicked in and I moved onto other things.

the moral of my story is that i needed it to work out in the early days and underestimated the rigour involved. laterally, when i no longer relied on BF for any income, things began to fall into place.

your own milage may vary...
Kai

Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:08 pm
I find by reading the forums a lot of people can't help but accidently reveal parts of their strategy which you begin to piece together.
That's clever and I've done my own share of reverse engineering out there in the past which later helped me understand different markets and expand my comfort zone, but the issue with that when starting is you're piggybacking off somebody else's work instead of building your own fundamentals. These fundamentals would probably be the thing that would prevent you from executing on a strategy even if you pieced it all from someone or if someone openly shared it with you. If I gave you one of my best strategies you wouldn't be able to profit off it. Or you find that market/strategy doesn't really suit you for a variety of reasons, or that it had an expiration date and you can't adapt without the missing fundamentals and all the legwork etc.

People usually don't realize this and if I had to give but one single piece of advice I would always say to find your own niche and build from there.

(Btw small disclaimer, anything I say I'm not having a go at you and I'm not always addressing you directly, there's plenty of lurkers around with similar issues. It's very easy to answer your opening question but if I can see past the question I try to raise these issues for whoever needs to hear it.)
Fugazi

Kai wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:50 pm
Fugazi wrote:
That's clever and I've done my own share of reverse engineering out there in the past which later helped me understand different markets and expand my comfort zone, but the issue with that when starting is you're piggybacking off somebody else's work instead of building your own fundamentals. These fundamentals would probably be the thing that would prevent you from executing on a strategy even if you pieced it all from someone or if someone openly shared it with you. If I gave you one of my best strategies you wouldn't be able to profit off it. Or you find that market/strategy doesn't really suit you for a variety of reasons, or that it had an expiration date and you can't adapt without the missing fundamentals and all the legwork etc.

People usually don't realize this and if I had to give but one single piece of advice I would always say to find your own niche and build from there.

(Btw small disclaimer, anything I say I'm not having a go at you and I'm not always addressing you directly, there's plenty of lurkers around with similar issues. It's very easy to answer your opening question but if I can see past the question I try to raise these issues for whoever needs to hear it.)
At risk of going off topic...

Do you HAVE to be analysing data

Or can it be as simple as figuring out that you can profit by just placing bets below someone thats got a huge bet waiting and offsetting?

I know that doesnt work in isolation, but just deciding if I need to start analysing loads of statistics, or just trial and error lots of approaches...
jimibt

Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:20 pm
Kai wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:50 pm
Fugazi wrote:

At risk of going off topic...

Do you HAVE to be analysing data

Or can it be as simple as figuring out that you can profit by just placing bets below someone thats got a huge bet waiting and offsetting?

I know that doesnt work in isolation, but just deciding if I need to start analysing loads of statistics, or just trial and error lots of approaches...
tbh -you've answered your dilemma yourself. one begets the other. by analysing data, you will discover these type of setups and more importantly, will be able to track what becomes of the money sitting above/below.. i.e. does it get matched or pulled. from that you'll discover that you may want to go in the opposite direction to what you are seeing as in this case, it'd be spoof money that is set as a trap waiting for someone to take a fill from it.

this and more thro data analysis. you can setup a ruleset in BA that writes the tick data (as it's streamed) to a file. you can then use this in something as simple as Excel to review and look for outliers/patterns etc.
Fugazi

tbh -you've answered your dilemma yourself. one begets the other. by analysing data, you will discover these type of setups and more importantly, will be able to track what becomes of the money sitting above/below.. i.e. does it get matched or pulled. from that you'll discover that you may want to go in the opposite direction to what you are seeing as in this case, it'd be spoof money that is set as a trap waiting for someone to take a fill from it.

this and more thro data analysis. you can setup a ruleset in BA that writes the tick data (as it's streamed) to a file. you can then use this in something as simple as Excel to review and look for outliers/patterns etc.
Thank you. I think it is time I start tracking everything rather than shooting blindly. I think I just needed to exhaust the path of least resistance to begin with before setting aside time to properly study what I am doing. I think I also needed some reassurance I'm not about to commit thousands of hours studying useless things. I feel I am good at considering the ''they know that I know type strategies'', so should be good at working out whats going on with the data I analyse
jimibt

Fugazi wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:43 pm

Thank you. I think it is time I start tracking everything rather than shooting blindly. I think I just needed to exhaust the path of least resistance to begin with before setting aside time to properly study what I am doing. I think I also needed some reassurance I'm not about to commit thousands of hours studying useless things. I feel I am good at considering the ''they know that I know type strategies'', so should be good at working out whats going on with the data I analyse
when i was a BA dabbler, i made a few rules that i uploaded here. this one below will capture the streamed data from any event into a csv file (PRE race and IP). i know it's an elderly thread now, but should still work: viewtopic.php?p=232149#p232149
Fugazi

when i was a BA dabbler, i made a few rules that i uploaded here. this one below will capture the streamed data from any event into a csv file (PRE race and IP). i know it's an elderly thread now, but should still work: viewtopic.php?p=232149#p232149
You just saved me a weeks work. Thank you.

Return to “General discussion”