Simple automation wont run?

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
Fugazi

I want to fire a back bet at best price, when the volume of unmatched bets at second best back price is more than 20

I've attached the .baf , I can't understand why it isn't running. It is part of a more complex automation but I can't even get the stripped down basics running
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Fugazi wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:51 pm
I want to fire a back bet at best price, when the volume of unmatched bets at second best back price is more than 20

I've attached the .baf , I can't understand why it isn't running. It is part of a more complex automation but I can't even get the stripped down basics running
I'm not sure what the point of the first rule is but it stores the total value of unmatched bets on the second-best price, which will be zero initially.

The back rule will place a back bet when the total number of unmatched bets at the second-best price is >=20. But of course, no bet will be placed at any price because your rule requires 20 bets to be placed before the first bet is placed. :)

Also, check the manual to make sure spaces are allowed in SV names. Not saying they aren't but I've never used spaces so wouldn't know.
Dabbla

These are your bets not other peoples. You can’t have 20 unmatched bets at the 2nd best back price, as they would just be taken.
You don’t need to store the values for the unmatched bets as there is a condition that does that.
Also the green up rule is set to fire on row 1 the other 2 are for the fav.
Spaces are ok in the SVs.
Derek27

Dabbla wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:44 pm
These are your bets not other peoples. You can’t have 20 unmatched bets at the 2nd best back price, as they would just be taken.
You don’t need to store the values for the unmatched bets as there is a condition that does that.
I completely overlooked the fact that it's not possible to have an unmatched bet on the second-best price. :oops: :oops: :lol:
Fugazi

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:33 pm
Fugazi wrote:

I'm not sure what the point of the first rule is but it stores the total value of unmatched bets on the second-best price, which will be zero initially.

The back rule will place a back bet when the total number of unmatched bets at the second-best price is >=20. But of course, no bet will be placed at any price because your rule requires 20 bets to be placed before the first bet is placed. :)

Also, check the manual to make sure spaces are allowed in SV names. Not saying they aren't but I've never used spaces so wouldn't know.
I've realised my error.. its terminology. I think what i actually wanted to do was the second best LAY price with unmatched volume >=20 fires a Back bet. I realise the trouble Ive been having with a lot of automations now 😅.

In the screenshot below, at back odds 5.6 is the value 83. This would trigger a back bet at 5.5 if the automation runs as I intended.

You can probably see why I made that mistake 😅
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fugazi

Dabbla wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:44 pm
Good spot on the green up, a frequent mistake of mine when tired!
Derek27

Fugazi wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:49 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fugazi wrote:

I've realised my error.. its terminology. I think what i actually wanted to do was the second best LAY price with unmatched volume >=20 fires a Back bet. I realise the trouble Ive been having with a lot of automations now 😅.

In the screenshot below, at back odds 5.6 is the value 83. This would trigger a back bet at 5.5 if the automation runs as I intended.

I've quickly modified the file, removed the first rule and used the "money available to lay" condition for the second. I haven't changed the greenup rule as it applies to ALL selections so should be okay, but if you're just trading one horse it's cleaner to green up that selection.

I haven't tested it so try it in practice mode, which I hope you were already doing. :)
Fugazi

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:58 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

I've quickly modified the file, removed the first rule and used the "money available to lay" condition for the second. I haven't changed the greenup rule as it applies to ALL selections so should be okay, but if you're just trading one horse it's cleaner to green up that selection.

I haven't tested it so try it in practice mode, which I hope you were already doing. :)
Ah that's great, much cleaner! Runs perfectly.

I didn't have any luck editing my original mind, think I'll spend this weekend getting to better grips with using store values. Probably memorise all the different preset options too as I didn't consider the one you selected.

Many thanks, this has unlocked many more hours of me playing with automation this weekend!
jimibt

Fugazi wrote:

this is probably more a case of understanding the makeup of the exchange and BA arenas than anything else.

in the beginning (as i mentioned in an another thread), I kinda blazed on, regardless and altho I made some good headway, my epiphany came once I understood what each of the moving parts represented. This was basically how i broke it down:

1. you have a finite time in which to participate in the market - look at how it forms and look at when the money arrives
2. as you are doing, look at the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best prices during the market formation and see how money flows across them
3. experiment with different offsets when offering to the market (it's tempting to take best price but offering outside the spread at various points is an interesting exercise and highlights the efficiencies you'll have to battle with)
4. always remember that the BF market (in the WIN horse market) has a book value of roughly 100%. this means that if one price shortens, one or many other prices must drift up in order to accommodate this mechanical nature. track the main runners that are affected by for example, a sudden shortening of the fav.
5. box up volume into a pseudo book% also. i.e. sum all the volume and then divi it into %ages. you can then compare things like volume% vs book% and track those related changes
6. In Play, keep a close eye on the two main contenders at the dying part of the race. You'll see an interesting pattern play out time and time again where the odds on both contenders gyrate out in a symmetrical parabolic curve (one up, one down). this can be exploited purely mechanically

Mechanical studies - all of the above play out every day and has no bearing on fundamentals. Just my take from back in the day... ;)
Bobajob

jimibt wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:42 pm
Fugazi wrote:

this is probably more a case of understanding the makeup of the exchange and BA arenas than anything else.

in the beginning (as i mentioned in an another thread), I kinda blazed on, regardless and altho I made some good headway, my epiphany came once I understood what each of the moving parts represented. This was basically how i broke it down:

1. you have a finite time in which to participate in the market - look at how it forms and look at when the money arrives
2. as you are doing, look at the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best prices during the market formation and see how money flows across them
3. experiment with different offsets when offering to the market (it's tempting to take best price but offering outside the spread at various points is an interesting exercise and highlights the efficiencies you'll have to battle with)
4. always remember that the BF market (in the WIN horse market) has a book value of roughly 100%. this means that if one price shortens, one or many other prices must drift up in order to accommodate this mechanical nature. track the main runners that are affected by for example, a sudden shortening of the fav.
5. box up volume into a pseudo book% also. i.e. sum all the volume and then divi it into %ages. you can then compare things like volume% vs book% and track those related changes
6. In Play, keep a close eye on the two main contenders at the dying part of the race. You'll see an interesting pattern play out time and time again where the odds on both contenders gyrate out in a symmetrical parabolic curve (one up, one down). this can be exploited purely mechanically

Mechanical studies - all of the above play out every day and has no bearing on fundamentals. Just my take from back in the day... ;)

Yes, being trying to exploit that for a while ;)
jimibt

Bobajob wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:05 pm
jimibt wrote:
Fugazi wrote:

the KEY to this one is to monitor the book value on each runner using sv's (on a high streaming refresh) and then do a constant lookback across the last 10-15 changes and identify the point where you have 2 runners increasing and decreasing their book% in almost equal ratios. then, place either a back (or lay) at xx ticks above the current price with an offset xx ticks below the current price. with a bit of trial and error, you should manage to catch a few of these. thereafter, it's all about finessing things. sorry if i make it sound simple, it certainly isn't straightfwd but is do-able.
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:26 pm
Bobajob wrote:
jimibt wrote:

the KEY to this one is to monitor the book value on each runner using sv's (on a high streaming refresh) and then do a constant lookback across the last 10-15 changes and identify the point where you have 2 runners increasing and decreasing their book% in almost equal ratios. then, place either a back (or lay) at xx ticks above the current price with an offset xx ticks below the current price. with a bit of trial and error, you should manage to catch a few of these. thereafter, it's all about finessing things. sorry if i make it sound simple, it certainly isn't straightfwd but is do-able.
Giving away a lot of information here. ;)
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:54 pm
Giving away a lot of information here. ;)
i've got no skin left in this game, so count it as opensource :)
Bobajob

jimibt wrote:
Bobajob wrote:
jimibt wrote:

the KEY to this one is to monitor the book value on each runner using sv's (on a high streaming refresh) and then do a constant lookback across the last 10-15 changes and identify the point where you have 2 runners increasing and decreasing their book% in almost equal ratios. then, place either a back (or lay) at xx ticks above the current price with an offset xx ticks below the current price. with a bit of trial and error, you should manage to catch a few of these. thereafter, it's all about finessing things, sorry if i make it sound simple, it certainly isn't straightfwd but is do-able.
it's all about finessing things
The way I would finesse things is by backing the 'likely' winner from odds 1.2 downwards and 'greening' up before it became a 'likely' loser at odds of 1.05. If you think the 'likely' winner is certain to win then obviously no need to 'green' up ;)
jimibt

Bobajob wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:17 am
jimibt wrote:
Bobajob wrote:

the KEY to this one is to monitor the book value on each runner using sv's (on a high streaming refresh) and then do a constant lookback across the last 10-15 changes and identify the point where you have 2 runners increasing and decreasing their book% in almost equal ratios. then, place either a back (or lay) at xx ticks above the current price with an offset xx ticks below the current price. with a bit of trial and error, you should manage to catch a few of these. thereafter, it's all about finessing things, sorry if i make it sound simple, it certainly isn't straightfwd but is do-able.
it's all about finessing things
The way I would finesse things is by backing the 'likely' winner from odds 1.2 downwards and 'greening' up before it became a 'likely' loser at odds of 1.05. If you think the 'likely' winner is certain to win then obviously no need to 'green' up ;)
possibly that would work, but that is a very subjective view maybe. tbh -when i did this, i was leveraging the BF api using c# (rather than BA), so i used a dictionary object that had the runner name as the key with the *cargo* a list of objects that contained the datetime of the action, coupled with the prevailing odds at the time. what I then did was to capture those dictionary objects as frequently as the streaming presented them. i'd then process each runner against every other runner and if a pair was found to be heading off on a parabolic journey, i'd set a back bet on the ascending odds candidate. this would typically be matched at 4-6 odds and would then tumble back down to evens or thereabouts. I'd definitely NOT be looking to back at anything below 3 odds..

this was just one variation, but was the one that bore the most fruit.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”