An old newbie needing help.

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Derek27

NotBothered wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:19 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:31 pm
NotBothered wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:03 pm

its only recently they put in black - they obviously look at what they are paying out vs receiving and limit the amounts they give back.

anyway I have always been at the very top of whatever is offered because I have large amounts of automation files for every race of every type all day.
And you need us to help develop your vanilla system?

I am not a Bet Angel expert - I can use anything else but BA - I find it somewhat primitive and I know the answers but sometimes everyone needs a slight help with something - I do not know everything

is there something wrong with this ?
No, I just thought mastering BA was the easy part. Developing profitable automation is much, much harder. I haven't used other software for a few years but BA is packed with features plus Excel integration, everything I need.
Derek27

NotBothered wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:50 pm
NotBothered wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:19 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:31 pm

And you need us to help develop your vanilla system?

I am not a Bet Angel expert - I can use anything else but BA - I find it somewhat primitive and I know the answers but sometimes everyone needs a slight help with something - I do not know everything

is there something wrong with this ?
why are you even posting anything derek ? not one single thing you have said has helped anyone -- maybe go find another hobby or something.
Have you read all 23325 of my posts?

You've obviously haven't even read your own thread, which you hijacked. The OP thanked me for my advice further back.

Perhaps I should be asking you why you're so determine to create BA rule files to help newbies when you think the software is primitive? Have you done this on your other software's forum, that you are efficient at using?
andy28

As a novice I think BA is great for those of us that have limited computing skills, for me the files show me what can be done with them. Also reading forums is a gold mine, people do let stuff slip, but you still have to convert that into something you can automate if that's what you want.

As of 2 weeks ago I took early retirement so I do have time to go through 3yrs of data I have been collecting and making sense of it. I guess my Betfair "Level" would be Paper if they went that low but I enjoy looking thru stats. For me it is about wanting to spend time studying and looking for an edge and testing strategies. But one thing I have noticed is there is no short cut past hard work, If your not prepared to do the heavy lifting then your success will be limited.

I only have 1 strategy that is working for me and have many hundred failed attempts, but what I am proud of is I haven't blown my bank it is growing albeit snails pace but it is going up.

My advice would be don't worry what others are doing just focus on what your doing
NotBothered

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:35 pm
boscow wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:27 pm
Hi, to anyone willing to listen and answer. I am an oldie trying to make sense of the different automation BAF files on the forum. I have managed to download and edit various of these files, but have never been able to edit sufficiently to make these files give me a steady profit. Apart from Peter who kicked off Betangel, are there any members who are making a profit/living out of Betangel and if so are willing to give advise/help with the automation side of this wonderful piece of software?
Kind regards and thanks in anticipation,
Eric AKA bosco1951
When you're a newbie, it's a bit early to think about making a "steady profit". Many people spend over a year breaking even. It's that extra experience and knowledge gained over time that can tip the balance in your favour.
yeah thanks Derek - so all the 3000 posts you have made and all the knowledge you have - this is the best you can offer someone ?

absolutely nothing - I suppose its better than telling someone it is a bike.
Derek27

NotBothered wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:22 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:35 pm
boscow wrote:
Hi, to anyone willing to listen and answer. I am an oldie trying to make sense of the different automation BAF files on the forum. I have managed to download and edit various of these files, but have never been able to edit sufficiently to make these files give me a steady profit. Apart from Peter who kicked off Betangel, are there any members who are making a profit/living out of Betangel and if so are willing to give advise/help with the automation side of this wonderful piece of software?
Eric AKA bosco1951
When you're a newbie, it's a bit early to think about making a "steady profit". Many people spend over a year breaking even. It's that extra experience and knowledge gained over time that can tip the balance in your favour.
yeah thanks Derek - so all the 3000 posts you have made and all the knowledge you have - this is the best you can offer someone ?

absolutely nothing - I suppose its better than telling someone it is a bike.
Who said it's the best?

Forums aren't just for helping people. It's also for communicating with like-minded people. What exactly is your problem NotBothered?
NotBothered

that should be obvious derek - you provide absolutely nothing to the forum - and you somehow think that your opinion matters more than anyone elses

therefore you can say or treat people anyway you see fit

like I said you added absolutely nothing to this particular thread - I do not know why your constantly posting in it.
Derek27

NotBothered wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:27 am
that should be obvious derek - you provide absolutely nothing to the forum - and you somehow think that your opinion matters more than anyone elses

therefore you can say or treat people anyway you see fit

like I said you added absolutely nothing to this particular thread - I do not know why your constantly posting in it.
That's your opinion, and you're obviously deluded into believing you know what other people think of themselves.
NotBothered

well lets both stop posting in this thread and that is it - because even me now you got me off topic .. at least I made some sort of effort to help

cheers
Euler

NotBothered wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:03 am
well lets both stop posting in this thread and that is it - because even me now you got me off topic .. at least I made some sort of effort to help

cheers
Please lets leave it here and help the OP.
ANGELS15

boscow wrote:
Eric AKA bosco1951
Hi Boskow

I hope you have a succesful journey in trying to find the right automation. You've been given some good advice by various forum members.

As some of them have rightly said, these shared automation files are in a 'raw' state. You do need to know the kind of markets that they can be used in. Having identified those markets you may very well have to modify or 'tweak' them to make them effective.

One thing to consider is whether you have any ideas of your own that could be profitable or good knowlege of events or sports. The key to this reasoning is to identify opportunties that you can exploit.

I do however wish to point out that even when you have some knowlege or experience of certain strategies things can occasionally go horribly wrong and cost you dear. I'll give an example.

My main activity is back to lay horse-racing, dobbing and dutching. If you're unfamiliar with any of these terms they are well described on various parts of the site and examples found in the shared files.

One of my 'specialities' is to identify long priced horses that could out-run their odds and to back and trade them in running.

I found such a horse a few days ago 'Mickey Mongoose' running at Southwell. I backed it at average odds of 170 in various small bets with offsets at 50%. I also place a small bet literally about £3 without offset in case it won. I was watching the horses going into the stalls and realised there were 2 of them that had been withdrawn. I very stupidly thought I'll be ok. In previous situations I had cancelled all my lay bets and manually input new adjusted ones in-running.

In the race Mickey Mongoose was running quite well but was still big odds and I even contemplated having another small bet. It went on to win and I had 'greened up' and was showing a profit of about £660. I was ecstatic.

I came back to check my balance expecting it to be well into 3 figures even allowing for any rule 4. I was horrified to find I was over £220 in debit. Something which had never happened to me before.

I had totally underestimated the rule 4 and had laid the horse for around twice my adjusted back odds. It was devastating to be sunk by something I expected to profit from.

So I would say to you even when you find what works for you never take it for granted or let your guard down.
Kai

boscow wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:36 pm
I am retired and thought that I would be able to have a small tax free income to supplement my state pension, do you thing that is feasible?
Hi Eric, regardless of age I would honestly only go for it out of passion or fun
hecojef928

ANGELS15 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:34 am
boscow wrote:
Eric AKA bosco1951
Hi Boskow

I hope you have a succesful journey in trying to find the right automation. You've been given some good advice by various forum members.

As some of them have rightly said, these shared automation files are in a 'raw' state. You do need to know the kind of markets that they can be used in. Having identified those markets you may very well have to modify or 'tweak' them to make them effective.

One thing to consider is whether you have any ideas of your own that could be profitable or good knowlege of events or sports. The key to this reasoning is to identify opportunties that you can exploit.

I do however wish to point out that even when you have some knowlege or experience of certain strategies things can occasionally go horribly wrong and cost you dear. I'll give an example.

My main activity is back to lay horse-racing, dobbing and dutching. If you're unfamiliar with any of these terms they are well described on various parts of the site and examples found in the shared files.

One of my 'specialities' is to identify long priced horses that could out-run their odds and to back and trade them in running.

I found such a horse a few days ago 'Mickey Mongoose' running at Southwell. I backed it at average odds of 170 in various small bets with offsets at 50%. I also place a small bet literally about £3 without offset in case it won. I was watching the horses going into the stalls and realised there were 2 of them that had been withdrawn. I very stupidly thought I'll be ok. In previous situations I had cancelled all my lay bets and manually input new adjusted ones in-running.

In the race Mickey Mongoose was running quite well but was still big odds and I even contemplated having another small bet. It went on to win and I had 'greened up' and was showing a profit of about £660. I was ecstatic.

I came back to check my balance expecting it to be well into 3 figures even allowing for any rule 4. I was horrified to find I was over £220 in debit. Something which had never happened to me before.

I had totally underestimated the rule 4 and had laid the horse for around twice my adjusted back odds. It was devastating to be sunk by something I expected to profit from.

So I would say to you even when you find what works for you never take it for granted or let your guard down.
Thanks for sharing your experience for him. Following the loss, did you persevere with your strategy, or did it deter you, prompting a shift to another approach?
ANGELS15

hecojef928 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:35 pm
ANGELS15 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:34 am
boscow wrote:
Eric AKA bosco1951
Hi Boskow

Thanks for sharing your experience for him. Following the loss, did you persevere with your strategy, or did it deter you, prompting a shift to another approach?
I still do the dobbing and offset betting as the methodology is still relevant and effective. What happened was a rare occurance and also my own failure to account for the withdrawn horses. Having said that it is still possible when doing an automated DOB that a horse is withdrawn seconds before the off so that the resulting rule 4 could result in a loss.

I've done well over 10,000 of these and I've only had it happen to me on a couple of occasions. Fortunately the odds on those particular horses weren't huge so I didn't lose too badly. Also the DOBBING on the huge odds horses is quite rare making up less than 2% of my selections.
hecojef928

ANGELS15 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:21 pm
I still do the dobbing and offset betting as the methodology is still relevant and effective. What happened was a rare occurance and also my own failure to account for the withdrawn horses. Having said that it is still possible when doing an automated DOB that a horse is withdrawn seconds before the off so that the resulting rule 4 could result in a loss.

I've done well over 10,000 of these and I've only had it happen to me on a couple of occasions. Fortunately the odds on those particular horses weren't huge so I didn't lose too badly. Also the DOBBING on the huge odds horses is quite rare making up less than 2% of my selections.
It's good that you've learned from the experience and moved forward. Many might have been discouraged by that and chosen a different path. If you don't mind my asking, have you automated the process now, or are you still handling it manually?
Fugazi

Angel,

Ive lost count of the times ive slipped up with automation and cost myself.

More than once ive messed up with greening up and its tried to green up the green up and just kept increasing a negative defecit

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”